Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tail Slide?

NigeSt

Hi,

I have a base IS200 (aka 'S') which comes with the 16" 6-spokers as standard.

I've found the car suffers from rather sudden oversteer in the wet at quite low speeds and wondered whether switching to the lower profile 17" 5-spokers that are standard on SE and Sports models would help...

So, over to you, do those of you with wider rubber have a twitchy rear-end in the wet? :whistling:

(OK, the phrasing of that question leaves the gate open for numerous Viz-style replies, but I would like some serious replies too :) )

Nige

I wrote off my IS200 SE (with the 17" wheels) a couple of weeks ago. The tail stepped out on ice where a road had not been gritted. I suspect that had the car been front wheel drive, I may have been able to rescue it.

It's certainly a case that I was not prepared for the oversteer and I really should book myself on a course at an advanced driving school so that I can learn how to control the car should it happen again.

For your information, the car had Dunlop SP 9000's on the standard 17 inch rims.

I wrote off my IS200 SE (with the 17" wheels) a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry to hear that Javaboss, I take it you're OK?

..and thanks for the info.

It's certainly a case that I was not prepared for the oversteer and I really should book myself on a course at an advanced driving school so that I can learn how to control the car should it happen again.

Good point. I wonder if such training could be done as a group? It would be a good opportunity for both a meet and a group buy. It could also be good for the image of the LOC (promoting safe driving).

Just a thought, I'm still a newbie here.

Nige

Doesn't make a difference what size Nige in my opinion.......... I had 17's before, and had Michelins and Dunlops and now have 18's with Avon zz1's and my rear end still steps out once in a while.

Boils down to the car being rear-wheel drive, road condition and the amount you push the throttle in my view....... :)

I wrote off my IS200 SE (with the 17" wheels) a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry to hear that Javaboss, I take it you're OK?

..and thanks for the info.

Good point. I wonder if such training could be done as a group? It would be a good opportunity for both a meet and a group buy. It could also be good for the image of the LOC (promoting safe driving).

Just a thought, I'm still a newbie here.

Nige

Yeah, I'm okay. The car was written off and the insurance has paid out. I've ordered a new IS200 SE auto and shall be picking it up on the 8th March. I can't wait!

Javaboss is right there - it's not so much the car but how you drive it. I run a '97 Nissan 200SX (200bhp, 0-60 7sec, rear-wheel drive) as well as the old Lex'. I have two rules for driving the Nissan - 1) in the dry, nail it! :yahoo: 2) in the wet, drive as though you're on sheet ice, & just let the rest of the world get on with it :whistling:

Hi,

I have a base IS200 (aka 'S') which comes with the 16" 6-spokers as standard.

I've found the car suffers from rather sudden oversteer in the wet at quite low speeds and wondered whether switching to the lower profile 17" 5-spokers that are standard on SE and Sports models would help...

So, over to you, do those of you with wider rubber have a twitchy rear-end in the wet? :whistling:

(OK, the phrasing of that question leaves the gate open for numerous Viz-style replies, but I would like some serious replies too :) )

Nige

Invariably in the wet, wider, squatter tyres are actually less grippy and more prone to aqua-planing.

The thing is the IS200 traction control is only adequate at the best of times - it takes a little too long to kick-in and then is a bit too sudden in effect. Of course it's better than not having it at all, but most cars' standard issue traction control isn't great.

Any rear wheel drive car will have a twitchy rear end and the IS is no exception - it's not an issue with the Lex. Tried a BMW in the wet?! ;)

Definately an experience when you have 321bhp being fed through to the rear wheels. :o

Drove my new lex for only the second time briefly today, and had the little slippy car light blinking at me, take it that means the rears weren't going anywhere when my foot was on the peddal ? (haven't read through the manual yet)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links