Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Peeps !

Despite what the Avatar says, I am a proud owner of a 1995 LS400 now. Originally had a GS300 'Sport' but found out it was a actually a standard GS300 with the Sport bits added on afterwards - bought it from a robbin' car dealer in Stockport too !!! Anyway, only found out when I tried to trade it in for a IS 200 Navigator and the dealer was a bit suspect over the V5 ! Moved on to a IS 200 Sport eventually but was totally disappointed with this baby 'Lexus' as it was a dog to drive and lacked any creature comforts of the GS. Sold it on 10 months later as couldn't even fit a pram in it and the Mrs was expecting our 2nd child ... got a Chrysler Grand Voyager instead which is, well ... 'sufficient' but was always hampering for another Lex, managed to convince the wife that it would fit our needs when the Chrysler wasn't really needed and as a workhouse for me to get to work (all 1.5 miles of it but to get there in luxury ...)

Tried a wanted ad on these very forums but got very little response except for crazy money on 2 older models with high mileage (don't blame anyone for not wanting to part with theirs), eventually turned to Fleabay and happened on this little beauty, alright it was in gold with gold badging but I'm knocking on now anyways (well 36 is oldish !), it didn't reach the reserve but thought I'd give the geezer a message anyway, managed to persuade him I will turn up with cash to buy on the same day and he agreed. A swift drive down the M1 to Derby and I couldn't believe it - the car was a 1995 N but to look at it (apart from a scuffed front bumper) you'd swear the car was 10 years younger ! The geezer selling was over 70 and didn't really drive it anymore but has looked after it since he paid £28k for it 7 years ago. I was a bit worried when he said he only 'some history' on the phone but turns out his Mrs has EVERY single receipt for everything the car had done on it since it left the factory gates !!! Hell she even recorded everytime they filled up, where, how much etc. !!! The documents filled a whole lever arch file and some !!! Came with 4, count them, 4 original keys including the valet key in the credit card holder !!!

Anyways, after a swift test drive, I was cheeky enough to stay so cool (trying hard not to contain my excitement on such a find) and offered the guy £2500 'take it or leave it' offer. He was a little hesitant at first as he said another geezer promised to come and have a look at it in a couple of weeks (but he wasn't here now with the readies - I was !!!) and he didn't look like he was a bit strapped for cash judging by his mansionessque house but he agreed after I sounded like an anorak spouting on at him about what I knew about Lexus's etc.

Deal done (£2500 for a Lexus 4.0 V8 with only genuine 50k on the clock !!!), I was a bit miffed when the Mrs proclaimed that she would drive it back and I could drive the Chrysler bus instead - screaming down the M1 she took the ***** as she constantly slowed, waited for me to pass before booting it (my Mrs enjoys driving more than I do and she is truly a Lexus nut too !)

2 months on now and have discovered a couple of niggles (on a car that is 12 this year ! I have found 2 dozen problems on the Chrysler which is a lot, lot younger !!! ):-

1.) Alarm arms/disarms on the fob, indicators flash when set off but no sound from siren (I read about the same problem somewhere on this forum ?) So will need to get a new alarm fitted ? (unless anyone knows any different ?)

2.) Cruise control switch doesn't work (is there a fuse/relay that may need replacing ?)

3.) Radio backlight doesn't illuminate (any ideas ?)

4.) Aerial only enagages half way (but have bought a replacement mast from USA - just need to fit it)

I am totally in love with this car and is the best Lex I've had yet !!! For such a barge of a car, most motorists can't believe it's pace when I switch the ETC to off and then 'boot it' (much to my amusement as the faces on many a 'hot hatch' drivers face has proven), above all, the equipment level trounces the (same age) GS, it is more powerful and actually has a boot !

Sorry to have gone on - I haven't written on this forum for well over a year now but at last, have something to write about !!!

Hi Peter,

Congratulations on your new purchase.

If the alarm flashes, I would guess the alarm is working OK but someone has turned the sound off. You should have a circular key which actually fits into the siren which is located to the rear of the Battery, simply turn on.

The aerial on the LS only goes up as far as is needed to attain the best possible reception, if it only goes up half way, I would hazard a guess that that is all that is needed ( I'm sure there are too many 'thats' in that ).

Backlights for radio and temp are a common problem. Circuit board (easily cured problem) which has plenty of coverage on the forums.

Can't help much on the cruise control but I wouldn't be surprised if it has ever been used. Again I would guess that a very easy solution can be found.

Seems like you have got yourself a real bargain, and a car which will give you many years of pleasure and pride. Enjoy.

Regards, Graham

Can confirm most of the above answer. Key will turn siren on/off. There was a link very recently on here about the Cruise control operation. Aerial...variable (clever, hey?) Radio light also covered on past posts. research?

Car? Unsurpassed! Apart from colour?

I kinda get the impression you really like the car ;)

Only 50k on the clock! wow. Does certainly sound like a bargain!

Quite smart wrt to the aerial thing :o

Have you ever played with the new generation LS? Wonder how long before that only costs £2500... :lol:

Here's wishful thinking...

D.

if you put the radio on long wave it should go up all the way but it had me to start

alarm does the little button under the boot switch turn the noise off

cruise ? could be a fuse it has so many you could be there for a year

but it will be the best car you well ever own

Cruise? If I recall, you switch it on; "cruise" light goes on; then, at required speed, you push the lever UP. BUT it could be DOWN......but now someone's BOUND to come on and correct me! Where's my manual.......

Thanks fellas, already tried turning of/on with the castle key on the siren but no joy, seen on another thread that somebody else had exactly the same problem and turns out that the siren is goosed, traced it back to Scorpion as the manufacturers who no longer make that siren so had an after market jobbie fitted- intriguing about the 'button' under the dash - will investigate tomorrow ...

Graham 8370 you say it is an easy fix for the radio backlight but how is it actually done ? Anybody have a link to fix ?

Derek Yau - Yup - love it to bits, not actually had a go in the latest gen but might pop into Lexus for a 'test drive' ahem !

Chris Skelton - what's wrong with gold ??? better than some of the two tone stuff I have seen - yuck ! I do know how to use the cruise control as it's identical to the one fitted on the GS 300, my problem is that I switch it 'on' and nothing happens - no green light on the dash - nothing ! Could it be a fuse or relay as LutonMatt suggests and if so where is it located ???

As it is a 1995 model, what series does it make it ?

Whoops!! The old gold thing again! Don't take umbrage (whatever that is!!), was only meant with a smile; and I know what you mean about 2-tone!.

Pity about Cruise; though it's not often safe to use on our crowded roads? 95 is a Ser 2. (If it has separate spots)Send me your e-mail address and I'll send a copy of a 'Car' article all about it!

Barney is a total nutter about HIS gold car (AND it hasn't worn off with time!) What HAS worn off is several layers of paint as he spent a whole weekend 'Claying' it so you need Raybans to view it, ---well, for the first few days anyway! :whistling:

Hi Peter,

1995 introduced the Mk3, if your gear shift button is located in the actual gear lever, you have a Mk2. If it is located into the console you have a Mk3. With regards to the dashlighting problem, I have searched the forums, but have been unable to find the relevant topics, sorry.

Hi Peter,

1995 introduced the Mk3, if your gear shift button is located in the actual gear lever, you have a Mk2. If it is located into the console you have a Mk3. With regards to the dashlighting problem, I have searched the forums, but have been unable to find the relevant topics, sorry.

Not much REAL use.....but I recall something about possibly soldering a new bulb in.......? Run a new 'post'asking this precise poimt perhaps? May catch a techie's eye? (No, that's NOT a reference to 'Kill Bill 2'!)

Hi Peter,

are you sure as my 93 has the pwr/ect button next to the gear lever but not on it?

Hi Peter,

are you sure as my 93 has the pwr/ect button next to the gear lever but not on it?

The pwr/ect button is not the gear shift.

Whoops!! The old gold thing again! Don't take umbrage (whatever that is!!), was only meant with a smile; and I know what you mean about 2-tone!.

Barney is a total nutter about HIS gold car (AND it hasn't worn off with time!) What HAS worn off is several layers of paint as he spent a whole weekend 'Claying' it so you need Raybans to view it, ---well, for the first few days anyway! :whistling:

:D :D

Hi Peter,

The pwr/ect button is not the gear shift.

Hi and welcome to the LS elite!!

True, the etc button was never on the gear shift. On the mk I & II the button on the gearshift was was the shift lock overide. On the mk III this button is top right of the gear console. I actually preferred this button on the gearshift....takes 2 hands to engage it now.

There is a guy on here who has all the answers to the electrical Idiosyncrosies....can't tnink of his name but will look it up for you.

Mk III alarm is not a siren but a horn! Also there is a button under the dash to turn on/off the setting beep.

Regards

Ken

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links