Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Monster......

bloofire

i used to go Crabbing on Holiday in Cornwall as a Kid.....off the Dockside was always a good place :tomato:

as Barrie says the Hp figure of the Monster while it was back over here was very low.possibly less if not comparible to the s/c cars, the torque was obviously higher than a s/c IS200, but no more than an IS300 would be running.

RPM was cut at 4000rpm and boost cut was very low, before the Turbos even had a chance to spool up, so no major shock loadings on the cars structure.

anyway.......theres a problem, we have identified it.....but not the cause, and Mark will at sometime soon, be showing all the gruesome entrails here.erm i mean the bracket damage :sick:

YdHl6

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[

The Race Logic Traction and Lauch control is fitted and working by the way.

Just spotted this comment

My car has launch control fitted and I was driving the car when it was fitted.

Procedure is as follows (where I was present).

Laptop hooked up to some gizmo which reads from the racelogic box of tricks.

drive round in slow circles both directions.

agree rev limit (my case 4500) this is set.

you then do a series of racing starts where you hold the throttle flat out and dump the clutch until the degree of slip/traction "feels" right with adjustments being made on the laptop.

Did it 5/6 times in mine and fooked the clutch :crybaby:

So if its fitted & working properly as quouted above then that COULD be a reason for the bracket problem .

For the record I have/had no problem with the clutch burning out during fitment of the launch control.

[

you then do a series of racing starts where you hold the throttle flat out and dump the clutch until the degree of slip/traction "feels" right with adjustments being made on the laptop.

So if its fitted & working properly as quouted above then that COULD be a reason for the bracket problem .

For the record I have/had no problem with the clutch burning out during fitment of the launch control.

No mate, read the thread again properly. The problem was spotted whilst driving the car back from Lakeside where Mat dropped it off. The traction control was fitted the day before the Banzai magazine shoot.

[

No mate, read the thread again properly. The problem was spotted whilst driving the car back from Lakeside where Mat dropped it off. The traction control was fitted the day before the Banzai magazine shoot.

Sorry Mate, seems a bit daft to me (not being an expert) to install something that requires standing starts to install properly when the same standing starts would further damage the componant in question. You did say Launch control BTW

Took a look at the reverse gear selction issue today. The problem is caused by the Toms gear knob not allowing the ring that you need to lift to enage reverse from moving highenough.

Two otions:

1. Fit the proper Supra gear knob.

2. Attempt a modification on the Toms gear knob

the toms knob needs modifying to fit the IS as standard

modifying by cutting off part of the threaded shoulder

dont know how much more could be taken off, or even if it would still be enough

what about a few washers stuck under it :whistling:

I'll see if I can find my other brain cell and resolve this matter ;)

:huh: was only trying to help

I know that mate, and am grateful for you suggestions :D

As a temporary measure we just put a spacer inside the knob to prevent it screwing down so much. Cheap and cheerful but does the job.

that wasn`t a bad suggestion then :whistling:

Sorry Mate, seems a bit daft to me (not being an expert) to install something that requires standing starts to install properly when the same standing starts would further damage the componant in question. You did say Launch control BTW

No problem, that's an easy mistake to make for the uniniated.

The RLTC was installed and roughly calibrated to ensure that it is working properly with the FCON V Pro the day before the magazine shoot, after we had realigned the rear wheels. You don't need to do any standing starts or even drive the car to input the launch control settings but we will check our calibration and fine tune the settings if necessary one we have effected a permanent upgrade to the rear sub frame.

Please feel free to ask any more questions.

Took a look at the reverse gear selction issue today. The problem is caused by the Toms gear knob not allowing the ring that you need to lift to enage reverse from moving highenough.

Two otions:

1. Fit the proper Supra gear knob.

2. Attempt a modification on the Toms gear knob

the toms knob needs modifying to fit the IS as standard

modifying by cutting off part of the threaded shoulder

dont know how much more could be taken off, or even if it would still be enough

what about a few washers stuck under it :whistling:

I'll see if I can find my other brain cell and resolve this matter ;)

:huh: was only trying to help

I know that mate, and am grateful for you suggestions :D

As a temporary measure we just put a spacer inside the knob to prevent it screwing down so much. Cheap and cheerful but does the job.

that wasn`t a bad suggestion then :whistling:

Want a Job Baz? :D

The RLTC was installed and roughly calibrated to ensure that it is working properly with the FCON V Pro the day before the magazine shoot, after we had realigned the rear wheels. You don't need to do any standing starts or even drive the car to input the launch control settings but we will check our calibration  and fine tune the settings if necessary one we have effected a permanent upgrade to the rear sub frame.

So if thats the case then,speaking as an unitiated one :P , shall I keep a look out for my cheque from Tdi in consideration for the unnecessary wear put on my clutch as it appears the racing starts were unneccessary :question:

at the moment its got

minus- 220bhp

the engines out, the replacement engine is at TDI, as is the new gearbox

Hey Mat and Mark - just wanted to say Happy 2nd Birthday! :)

I noticed the thread started 2 years ago on this day, and I have to say that keeping this thread alive and updated has been brilliant - its certainly kept people entertained and given us something to look forward too over the last 24 months.

I hope and look forward to seeing the monster fully sorted at JAE this year (fingers crossed) - as does everyone I'm sure. :)

Has it been that long?

Wow, I've been here 18 months now, mine's changed but not as much as the Monster, looking forward to seeing what she's like when she's finished, will be very impressive indeed :winky:

The RLTC was installed and roughly calibrated to ensure that it is working properly with the FCON V Pro the day before the magazine shoot, after we had realigned the rear wheels. You don't need to do any standing starts or even drive the car to input the launch control settings but we will check our calibration  and fine tune the settings if necessary one we have effected a permanent upgrade to the rear sub frame.

So if thats the case then,speaking as an unitiated one :P , shall I keep a look out for my cheque from Tdi in consideration for the unnecessary wear put on my clutch as it appears the racing starts were unneccessary :question:

Give it a rest mate. The traction and launch configurations can be input to ensure that they are working, without road testing. Subsequent road testing is required to set the rpm launch point and accurately calibrate the TC. Let me know if there is anything you do not understand about this.

Using any form of launch control or standing starts is stressfull on the drivetrain. Although we had to do launches to calibrate the system, your clutch failed while you were using it in your posession. If you can point out where we have done something wrong and/or that is not covered by the contract that you signed, you may be entitled to a refund. Please let me know.

at the moment its got

minus- 220bhp

Hey Mat and Mark - just wanted to say Happy 2nd Birthday! :)

I noticed the thread started 2 years ago on this day, and I have to say that keeping this thread alive and updated has been brilliant - its certainly kept people entertained and given us something to look forward too over the last 24 months.

I hope and look forward to seeing the monster fully sorted at JAE this year (fingers crossed) - as does everyone I'm sure. :)

happybday.gif

Its going to be a shame when the monster is finally finished and this saga is going to come to an end..

at the moment its got

minus- 220bhp

HERE, HERE :winky:

Give it a rest mate. The traction and launch configurations can be input to ensure that they are working, without road testing. Subsequent road testing is required to set the rpm launch point and accurately calibrate the TC. Let me know if there is anything you do not understand about this.

Using any form of launch control or standing starts is stressfull on the drivetrain. Although we had to do launches to calibrate the system, your clutch failed while you were using it in your posession. If you can point out where we have done something wrong and/or that is not covered by the contract that you signed, you may be entitled to a refund. Please let me know.

Call me pedantic but this is what you said

"The Race Logic Traction and Lauch control is fitted and working by the way."

Clearly it this is not the case as you have not yet done this.

As for it to be fully working you must be satisfied that the engines doesnt bog down or spin the wheels too much which is whats done with the road testing proper, as you correctly point out.

I rest my case.

:offtopic: but needs to be said....what contract did I sign or do any of your customers sign ?.........and as for

your clutch failed while you were using it in your posession

let that be a warning to everyone........I collected my car on a tuesday,drove it home (5 miles away) ,parked it,left to go to christchurch in dorset on a work trip,first time i used full throttle the revs went through the roof. So drove like an old woman, called you had helix clutch fitted 3 days later. Don't think anymore needs to be said

On topic........Hope its ready for JAE

Dave, iv asked Once,

if you have an issue with YOUR car then take it up in PM/email or any other form of communication, THIS topic is here for the Monster. and for comment either way on it with Myself, TDI and anyone else who feels they have something to add in a constructive way.

Most people do NOT understand the amount of effort that has gone into getting the car this far...........from all those involved!

im sure if most of the crap posts were removed from this Topic, then we could half the amount of pages this Tpoic takes up

not for you to air your issues .

Last warning on this subject! :excl: stop crapping in this topic :mat:

Matt,

I appreciate your comments.

I made it clear that I had no issues with my car in my original comments. I used what happened to my car as an example of what happens when the l/c is set up properly. It was purely that

I only made my comments above in response to Marks public comments. BTW i did apologise at the time :P

All I'm (was) doing is asking pertinent questions when it appears that,yet again, a large portion of heffers dust is being spread about. :tomato:

Call me pedantic but this is what you said

"The Race Logic Traction and Lauch control is fitted and working by the way."

Clearly it this is not the case as you have not yet done this.

As for it to be fully working you must be satisfied that the engines doesnt bog down or spin the wheels too much which is whats done with the road testing proper, as you correctly point out.

I rest my case.

:offtopic: but needs to be said....what contract did I sign or do any of your customers sign ?.........and as for

your clutch failed while you were using it in your posession

let that be a warning to everyone........I collected my car on a tuesday,drove it home (5 miles away) ,parked it,left to go to christchurch in dorset on a work trip,first time i used full throttle the revs went through the roof. So drove like an old woman, called you had helix clutch fitted 3 days later. Don't think anymore needs to be said

On topic........Hope its ready for JAE

OK Dave, I will explain again for you.

The traction and launch control is fitted and working. What hasn't been done yet due to time constraints and a problem with the rear sub frame is the accurate setting of the launch point and the calibration. This will can only be done on the road.

The contract you (any everybody else) signed before we undertake any work, absolves us from any responsibility for any problems that occur to a car during the works and testing (apart from our statutory responsibilities). A lot of the work we are asked to do puts increased stress on the engine and drivetrain etc which we are not prepared to to take responsibility for. For example in the case of your clutch, we would not take responsibility for something that was standard, probably already half worn and has been used in application outside of it's original design capabilities. There are some people that would try and transfer the blame onto us, which is why we ask customers to sign the contract. We take the view that if anyone does not want to sign the contract, they are probably the sort of people we don't want to work for.

I seem to remember you being very grateful at the time that I rearranged our workshop schedule (6 week waiting list) to change your clutch at short notice. Funny how things change ;)

• 2 weeks later...

A small update for you.

The Monster went into Japanese Performance Magazine last Wednseday and into Fast Car on Monday just gone. Both seemed to like it.

We currently have the rear sub frame out to address the issues. The damage is worse that we thought, even the bolts are bent like bananas. Can someone let me know how to post images nowadays please?

I will do some calculations later when I have some time, but it looks like the Supra engine delivers significantly more tractive force to the wheels with the is200 axle than it does with the Supra axle. This torque is trying to pull the toe control arms to the end of the slots under acceleration.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links