Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Time To Come Out Of The Shadows!

About time I stopped lurking and came out into the open and said hello to everyone...Hi!

Just bought my first Lexus - a Gold (it's growing on me :winky: ) 95 LS400. A lovely unmarked '95 example with 83k miles, verified history and everything works. Had to to kiss a lot of frogs before I found my princess.

Wonderful car and beats my old 7 ser BM hands down in nearly every department. Earily quiet and refined I found myself continually looking at the rev counter to make sure it was still running when stopped in traffic. Not too sure about the wallowy handling - but the car was never made for hustling around the twisty bits; on the motorway it excels and is truly impressive, economy is an eye opener too.

The only niggle is the audio unit backlighting. Seems to be a common failure - but I'm struggling to find a cure on this or the US site. Anyone able to advise please?

My only other concern is tyres. The car is fitted with Dunlop D8z tyres which I understand are manufactured specifically for the LS range. Unfortunately I've damaged one and I cannot source one (really would like two)

I'm told via my trusty tyre man that the tyre is now obselete and its closest replacement is the Dunlop SP Sport 01 at £100.00 a corner. Looking at Dunlops site, the tire seems to be a performance rather than a luxury comfort/low noise tyre.

So, what's everyone using, or are you all managing to find D8z's - or using an alternative?

Considering a change of wheel to 17 or 18's - the standard wheel can hardly be described as pretty! I'd appreciate input from anyone using larger than OEM wheels tyres...trade off in comfort and noise especiallyy

Great site with a wealth of useful information - certainly informed me on what to look for/ask when searching out a LS; thanks.

Dave

About time I stopped lurking and came out into the open and said hello to everyone...Hi!

Just bought my first Lexus - a Gold (it's growing on me :winky: ) 95 LS400. A lovely unmarked '95 example with 83k miles, verified history and everything works. Had to to kiss a lot of frogs before I found my princess.

Wonderful car and beats my old 7 ser BM hands down in nearly every department. Earily quiet and refined I found myself continually looking at the rev counter to make sure it was still running when stopped in traffic. Not too sure about the wallowy handling - but the car was never made for hustling around the twisty bits; on the motorway it excels and is truly impressive, economy is an eye opener too.

The only niggle is the audio unit backlighting. Seems to be a common failure - but I'm struggling to find a cure on this or the US site. Anyone able to advise please?

My only other concern is tyres. The car is fitted with Dunlop D8z tyres which I understand are manufactured specifically for the LS range. Unfortunately I've damaged one and I cannot source one (really would like two)

I'm told via my trusty tyre man that the tyre is now obselete and its closest replacement is the Dunlop SP Sport 01 at £100.00 a corner. Looking at Dunlops site, the tire seems to be a performance rather than a luxury comfort/low noise tyre.

So, what's everyone using, or are you all managing to find D8z's - or using an alternative?

Considering a change of wheel to 17 or 18's - the standard wheel can hardly be described as pretty! I'd appreciate input from anyone using larger than OEM wheels tyres...trade off in comfort and noise especiallyy

Great site with a wealth of useful information - certainly informed me on what to look for/ask when searching out a LS; thanks.

Dave

Hello dave Welcome to a great club. I have just bought a Ls400, The spare wheel has never been used from new and that ia a Dunlop Sp they are on all four corners as well, in my experience tyres for Lexus cars are a lot of money, however I have checked out with my local Merityre dealer in Sunbury, and the tyres work out at £127each. I guess that you will be looking at the £100 mark for any good tyre.

good luck with the LS

Les

Well, 2 years back, I got a tyre firm to get 4 Dunlop (proper)tyres from Japan, as the German ones were supposed to be slightly different. (Info obtained from this site of course!) Cost no more, just had to wait a little while.Worth trying a little harder to see?

As to Stereo problem.

Autosound Ltd, 4 Lister Street, Bradford BD4 9PQ...sales@autosound.ltd.uk is info I have. They did my Ser 3 . £180!

Though I think you have Ser 2? The main worry was prising off the Walnut trim to remove the unit.

You have to flat-blade the rear of the trim off, and it's a tight fit, but is only held in with poppers. The whole 'gearlever' area walnut is one piece. Once you've braved THAT, taking the unit out is reasonably obvious.

There MAY be a link showing this operation somewhere on here, as I was shown how, by Colin......Sorry Colin, forgotten your surname!

Enjoy the car. You'll never change, except for Ser 3 or 4?

Hi mate! Welcome!!!

I have a 93, Gold Lexus and i have the same problem with the center consol lights not working!!! Tried to fix it but i ended up giving up, when i come to drive it and its a problem then i will fix but at the moment ill just leave it, but if you get it fixed please contact me to tell me where you got it done!!!

Enjoy!

Mat

Thanks for the welcome guys

Tyres; apparently, according to Dunlop UK, the D8z is no longer available and the replacement equivalent is the SP Sport 01

http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/ourTyres/car/...ults/SPSport01/

Think I'll go for the Michelin Primacy which seems to be a more luxury saloon orientated tyre - the Dunlop appears to be a performance saloon tyre.

Always been impressed with Michelin for long life and the extra cost will, IMO, be worth it.

The audio/head unit lighting issue - seem to remember reading (on a US site?) that a repair wasn't a feasable DIY proposition, not sure that I want to throw £180.00 at a repair. I'll carry on fumbling around in the dark!

Series 2 or 3? Not sure what I have tbh!

I don't have an overdrive button on the shift lever, I have the larger audio display and my exhausts aren't visible from the rear of the car - that's about the only difference I can see between my '95 model and the older cars.

So what do I have?

Dave

Sounds like you have a Series 3!

I use Vredestein tyres - not a common make but easy enough to get hold of, quiet and longlasting.

Look here http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalLexusLS400str1.htm for stereo removal, bulbs are just that - normal bulbs - but littered all over the place!!

Have fun with your great car

Dave

Thanks for the welcome guys

Tyres; apparently, according to Dunlop UK, the D8z is no longer available and the replacement equivalent is the SP Sport 01

http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/ourTyres/car/...ults/SPSport01/

Think I'll go for the Michelin Primacy which seems to be a more luxury saloon orientated tyre - the Dunlop appears to be a performance saloon tyre.

Always been impressed with Michelin for long life and the extra cost will, IMO, be worth it.

The audio/head unit lighting issue - seem to remember reading (on a US site?) that a repair wasn't a feasable DIY proposition, not sure that I want to throw £180.00 at a repair. I'll carry on fumbling around in the dark!

Series 2 or 3? Not sure what I have tbh!

I don't have an overdrive button on the shift lever, I have the larger audio display and my exhausts aren't visible from the rear of the car - that's about the only difference I can see between my '95 model and the older cars.

So what do I have?

Dave

Well, the repair I had done on the head unit was fine! so take US opinion with pinch of salt?

We had this 'difference' bit last week.!!

Get in touch with me with your e mail address and I'll mail you a copy of Setrights article on the differences! Separate spot lights? Ser 2......

Well, the repair I had done on the head unit was fine! so take US opinion with pinch of salt?

Get in touch with me with your e mail address and I'll mail you a copy of Setrights article on the differences! Separate spot lights? Ser 2......

Thanks for the "how to tell the difference" info' offer Chris

jacbox AT blueyonder.co.uk (insert @ :shifty: )

This is the info' I have on HU illumination:

http://www.cureline.net/lex/audio/howto_li..._hu_pioneer.htm

Doesn't appear to be an easy job...may pluck up courage and have a go one day.

Just seems odd that every bulb should have gone. I have no illumination of the radio display or any of the buttons. Just wonder if there is some sort of "controller" for the illumination?

Not the end of the world anyway!

Dave

Thanks for the "how to tell the difference" info' offer Chris

jacbox AT blueyonder.co.uk (insert @ :shifty: )

This is the info' I have on HU illumination:

http://www.cureline.net/lex/audio/howto_li..._hu_pioneer.htm

Doesn't appear to be an easy job...may pluck up courage and have a go one day.

Just seems odd that every bulb should have gone. I have no illumination of the radio display or any of the buttons. Just wonder if there is some sort of "controller" for the illumination?

Not the end of the world anyway!

Dave

Info sent.

I remember that page of repairs. THAT'S why I got it done elsewhere! As I was selling my car, I guess I wanted it near-pristine. But it certainly worked properly after the Autosound repair. I wonder if it's heat that does it as that area does get warm after a long drive. If you don't listen to radio, then it's no big deal as CDs will just play. But not seeing pre-sets is a bummer.

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

I've just bought myself a LS400, 96, 172k miles, a joy to drive.

In relation to radio back illumination, I found a shop that repaired mine for £70.50 just last week, they were very help full, he said it was a common fault and told me it is the input power for all the backing lights that go.

The address is:

Northolt Car Radio Repairs

6 Station Parade

Ealing Road

Northolt

Middlesex

UB5 5HR

Tel: 02088451525

http://www.ncrr.co.uk

Hope this helps anyone

Alan

i got a new head unit of eBay in full working order for £35 and it came with the aircon/climate controls attatched(ser 3)

fitting was a doddle and i sold the aircon bit!

winner.

as for tyres, i'm running 18"s with cheap tyres(correct speed rating) a bit noisier but just as smooth....i'm not that fussy as its quite enough

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s on mine, after they were recommended on here. Had the front ones done a while ago, switched the backs this week (last ones were Pirelli P7000).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links