Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All

Drove the car on the motorway for the first time yesterday,stereo on,definate vibration in rear view mirror. Now I know there has been much discussion over this, but they told me they had sorted it :unsure: before I picked it up. Is this vibration something I will have to live with or has anyone had it totally sorted?

The other thing is how do I know if the 5th injector had been replaced? The average fuel consumption at the moment is showing 27.8 ? I have drove it mainly around town, don't know about previous owner. Seems a little sluggish taking off,but not sure if this is a trait of a diesal as I have always driven petrol cars.

Thanx

Debi

Hi Debi,

I've driven a few of the diesels and I have to say that there is a distinct difference with and without MM. Without the MM the mirror is all over the place. With the MM and rain sensor, the shake is very much reduced, but still not a good as the petrol, which only seems to shake with a loud 'basey' track. I guess it's something you'll have to live with.

With regard to the 5th injector, I'm not sure you can tell but your dealer (I presume Lexus Liverpool) should have the service history for the car so I would ask them. The fuel consumption is a bit low for the diesel, though others who drive them more should be able to give you a better idea. The sluggishness at take off is a diesel trait. You should drive a 250, then get back in your oil burner to see how really bad it is!

Hope to see you driving round town!

Cheers

Bern

PS ... Lexus Liverpool ... :angry::sick: (My personal opinion only)

Hi Debi,

I've driven a few of the diesels and I have to say that there is a distinct difference with and without MM. Without the MM the mirror is all over the place. With the MM and rain sensor, the shake is very much reduced, but still not a good as the petrol, which only seems to shake with a loud 'basey' track. I guess it's something you'll have to live with.

With regard to the 5th injector, I'm not sure you can tell but your dealer (I presume Lexus Liverpool) should have the service history for the car so I would ask them. The fuel consumption is a bit low for the diesel, though others who drive them more should be able to give you a better idea. The sluggishness at take off is a diesel trait. You should drive a 250, then get back in your oil burner to see how really bad it is!

Hope to see you driving round town!

Cheers

Bern

PS ... Lexus Liverpool ... :angry::sick: (My personal opinion only)

Hi Bern

I actually got the car from Lexus Stoke ,as I found Liverpool to be C :tsktsk: p. Everytime we went, there were different salesmen,no one would phone back, not good before purchase service so what would after be like :huh:

Looked hard and fast for a 250 auto but couldn't get one at the right price. I am thinking of keeping this for about 18mths then throwing it in on a newer model. Car does have MM but still vibrates, do love the car though. Will ask about the injector. Stoke have offered to collect/deliver the car for any service/warrenty work. I was going to just take it to Liverpool (easier really) what has your experience been there like??

thanx

Debi

But....when the diesel is on song, put your foot down and see the rate at which you can lose your licence...compare that to the petrol one which is defo slow in comparison...the 220d does have as much torque as a Porsche Carrera...don't forget...and it is very quick once moving - especially the Sport!!

You have to crank the pedal more when taking off...especially at roundabouts...

Seriously -

Mirror shake - if they claim to have fixed it (and dealers always tell you what you want to hear), then I'd like to know how...there is a design flaw in my view (pun unintended) - there are 2 ball joints in the adjustment - doubling the "weakness" and if you put the back of your hand (or get a passenger to do it) on the back of the mirror at mway speeds you feel the vibration. I can't see how it can be easily solved. The engine mounts do a terrific job of disspating engine vibration through the body...all fine and dandy...but it all ends up at the windscreen and shaking your mirror...BTW - my car has MM and it too vibrates...though less as the miles pile on...

The flatspot is normal...my old Diesel Audi had one too (tho' not so much) and the New IS is renowned for a narrow, sudden power delivery, not helped by the short 1st gear...

27odd mpg is lowish for a car with over 10000 miles on the clock - to make you feel better, when my car had less than 5000 miles on the clock, mid 20's was as good as it got in mixed or mainly town driving...ask the dealer to check out the 5th Injector. Scott on this forum suffered for months, then they changed all the injectors in the car, I understand, is great since!! There is an ECU mod, new EGR valve etc which may or not have been made available now (it was in test last month).

Since 10000 miles, low 30's arund town driving is available, high 20's in heavy traffic, and 39+mpg in 50/50 town and motorway driving (high 40's at the legal limit).

Cheers Jambo

I will contact Stoke and ask about the 5th injector. The car defo has power when it gets going ( I was doing 80 and I thought I was doing about 40 :whistling: ) I have got used to the gear change by altering my hand position (palm facing away from me) when changing for 1st to 2nd. When the turbo kicks in its like taking off in a jet :lol: Its just the initial pull (is that the flat spot?) when the car is in 1st.

compare that to the petrol one which is defo slow in comparison...

Jamboo... don't be silly now :unsure:

He's right Tango. I had a 250 yesterday while my 220 was in for a 5th injector change and ECU re-map. The 220 is definitely quicker.

Sounds like a challenge to me...I had a 220 as a courtesy car and thought it was slower, couldn't wait to get back in the 250, and I've had a few diesels so it wasn't my driving style.

Not a lot in it though published figures are :

IS 250 0-100 km/h 8.4 secs

IS220 0-100 km/h 8.9 secs

...and I bet that the 250 wasn't in ECT mode during the test :whistling:

Jamboo is correct, Give the car plenty of revs when pulling off about 2000rpm i was told by lexus GB this gets the turbo spooled up and you can set off like a rocket. And yes i have left many a is250 choking on my diesel fumes nobody has managed to catch up with me as yet. Oh and get used to the mirror it can not be fixed as the windscreen is designed to soak up the vibrations from other areas of the car. Thats why they are so quiet. My average mpg is about 35mpg city driving but i use the shell v-power diesel fuel and magnatec engine oil :D .

Jamboo is correct, Give the car plenty of revs when pulling off about 2000rpm i was told by lexus GB this gets the turbo spooled up and you can set off like a rocket. And yes i have left many a is250 choking on my diesel fumes nobody has managed to catch up with me as yet.

Another one that can't read the facts.... :whistling:

Jamboo is correct, Give the car plenty of revs when pulling off about 2000rpm i was told by lexus GB this gets the turbo spooled up and you can set off like a rocket. And yes i have left many a is250 choking on my diesel fumes nobody has managed to catch up with me as yet.

Another one that can't read the facts.... :whistling:

Tango is right - with ECT from a Standstill the 250 will be quicker in most conditions...

But...The diesel torque is phenominal...

Come out of bend, or a rolling start, possibly on a race track over a lap, overtaking etc - the 220d just flies. The rate at which you can get from 50 to licensing losing speeds is awesome...3/4/5th gear acceleration is unbelievable...The minute you get used to that torque and gearing you can get some serious speed from the car.

It's a full second quicker from 50-75mph than a BMW320d (163bhp)

Sorry Debi - thread hijacked by petrol heads

He's right Tango. I had a 250 yesterday while my 220 was in for a 5th injector change and ECU re-map. The 220 is definitely quicker.

if you don't mind, I would change this to "the 220 feels definitely quicker"

Although d4d 180 is a great diesel engine (unfortunately not perfect like 2.0d in bmw), it is still a diesel with all pros and cons.

And one of the pros, is that feeling when the turbo kicks, and you feel that power in your back. The con is, that this power is only for short time (say from 2000rpm till 4000rpm). And what more, after gearchange and pressing the accelerator, man can literally cook a coffee, until the turbo stops lagging and kicks again...

Yes, 250 feels sluggish, but this is normal for user-friendly v6 engine with no giant peak..instead, accross all revs is enough power and torque. And thats one of the reasons, why the 0-100km/h time is better. The other reason is the power.

It's a full second quicker from 50-75mph than a BMW320d (163bhp)

are you sure it's because of the power?

It is true, that IS has more power, but it is also heavier.

I suspect, that this one second is the gearchange time. IS has heavy gearing, so we save time on gearchange.

Yes, 250 feels sluggish, but this is normal for user-friendly v6 engine with no giant peak..instead, accross all revs is enough power and torque. And thats one of the reasons, why the 0-100km/h time is better. The other reason is the power.

The ECT button doesn't hold the 250 it at high enough revs before changing up, so to achieve improved acceleration you have to stick it in manual and change just before the rev limiter kicks in...then it really moves..well for a 250 anyway :shifty: .

If you all learn how to drive while keeping the turbo spooled up there is no lag in the turbo at all and this makes the 220 faster than the 250 for sure. As i have said no 250 has beaten me yet from a standing or rolling position. The engine hasn't even been re-mapped or anything just standard, v6 boys just empty their wallets faster thats all. :lol::msn-cry:

Dream on, but I was wrong in my earlier post as according to the Lexus GB site the IS220 D does indeed take 8.9 secs to get from 0-62 mph, but the IS250 takes 8.1 secs not the 8.4 secs to achieve the same.

So the petrol is only 0.8 secs faster to 62 mph, but as I said it's quicker. The 8.1 figure is the same for the petrol sport and the SE and SE-L.

http://www.lexus.co.uk/lexus_cars/is_new/i...ERFORMANCE+DATA

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links