Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie Here - Abs

AGxM

Bought a 2nd hand IS200 (V '99)and was recently involved in a ding. Thankfully car repaired but the repairer noticed that the abs sensors had been removed although the dash light had been bypassed. Picked car up today and ABS light not on but airbag light on - garage reckons the system reset they carried out has caused this and that everything (abs aside) should still function ok and she should get through MOT.

I will go to local dealer to have sensors refitted but is there a bigger and more expensive reason the abs sensors would have been removed?

Bum! He checked with his tester and he said it would!

Looks like I need to get the thing looked at at a dealership then - more expense. Any idea why the abs sensors would have been removed in the first place?

Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome to LOC.

I'm not convinced it will get through an MOT with the ABS like it is either. The MOT station will know it has ABS fitted and if the check light doesn't illuminate when the ignition switch is turned on then it would fail anyway. I can't think of any reason why a sensor would be removed other than the sensor needing replacing. Even if another component had failed, removing the sensor would be pointless.

you should check with an mot station about this as for mot if there is no abs light showing on dash then it cant fail mot

That is the thing though. If it doesn't have ABS then it can't fail. But, if it does have ABS and the light doesn't function correctly then it would fail, as it shows that the ABS system is not working. i.e. it should come on with the ignition and then go out, not be out all the time. Worth double checking with a garage still I guess.

Bum! He checked with his tester and he said it would!

Looks like I need to get the thing looked at at a dealership then - more expense. Any idea why the abs sensors would have been removed in the first place?

Thanks for the welcome.

Cost in replacing them, i should think.

Welcome to LOC :D

deffo fail for the airbag light, 100% sure on that. the ABS light is a grey area TBH, i think it would depend on how detailed the MOT station is that you use.... theoreticly it should still fail though.

i would want to know why the ABS sensors have been removed??? that makes no sense to me.

welcome by the way, :D

Thanks for all the advice - decided to bite the bullet and get her looked at by a Lexus dealership.

So far 120k service will be about £350, £150 for 1 hours investigation into the fault, I'm guessing around £250 for the sensors etc, I also know the brakes pads are 60% worn - should I get them to do the brakes too or is a Kwik Fit sufficient for this?

Bread and water for dinner all month :crying:

Agree with the worry about the removal of the ABS sensors, but not sure if there is any recompense with the seller as it was a private sale.

I will get Lexus Woodford to give the car a real going over and I'll have to stomach the cost sadly - probably about £1k. Still love the car and will hopefully give me a good few years of service once all sorted.

Sadly the missing ABS sensors was the least of my worries!

New rear brake pads £145.00

New front pads & discs £391.00

New shock absorber £366.00

ABS sensors £266.00

:crybaby:

Still love her to bits .......... albeit expensive bits!

or you have done this........

new mintex rear pads £24

new mintex front discs and pads £102

new KYB shock absorbers £120 (lexus original fitment is KYB)

lexus total £1168 aftermarket total: £246 + £266 for the sensors = £512 plus some labour and you could easily have saved urself about £300 to £400

or you have done this........

new mintex rear pads £24

new mintex front discs and pads £102

new KYB shock absorbers £120 (lexus original fitment is KYB)

lexus total £1168 aftermarket total: £246 + £266 for the sensors = £512 plus some labour and you could easily have saved urself about £300 to £400

Very true Rob! I've agreed to the deal now as they are also doing a full £120k service, MOT, new spare tyre, new ball joint, new caster arms, and adjusting the handbrake for £2k inc.

Hopefully she will then be good for a good £15k miles or 3 years+ for me.

The one upshot was I got a ride in the new Lexus 4 x 4 from the garage :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links