Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Funny how all the others deisels have deisel economy, when its in for service I'm asking for the engine to be checked to see if it really is a deisel. A collegue with an S type Jag 2.7 deisel get 47 mpg and family A6 3.0 quattro estate gets 44. Me just a mug.

I get very sceptical of other peoples' mpg claims for diesels now. A colleague at work has a S-Type Jag 2.7 auto and despite most of his run to work being dual carriageway he never averages more than 35mpg. We've also had a number of 3.0Tdi Audis and none have got above 39mpg. I've seen it in the pub with evangelistic diesel owners trying to outdo each other with fuel consumption claims.

Bear in mind these are V6 engines! 44 out of the 3.0 A6 is not unrealistic

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry. You said that you drive 60% urban. What do you expect? Start/Stop driving drinks the juice, and to be getting 30+ on a new engine is not bad. It will improve over time, but if you think carefully - is there something else you do not like about your lexus? How much better would you do in the noisy tractor they call the 320d, wheere you are lucky to have power windows and a car that starts on a good day? If there is a problem with your specific car, well and good, all other 220d owners will follow with interest and hope it is fixed. 30mpg+ for mostly town driving is not a problem. I would love that on my 250!

There is no fix so please do not hold your breath. The new 320d is far far quieter than the IS. No more questions your honour! :shutit:

I wish the handful of diesel owners on this forum experiencing mpg issues would stop making blanket statements about the IS diesel.

"if" your car is faulty and doesn't give the mpg you think your driving style and driving conditions deserve, fine but please stop making out you are in the majority and speak for all diesel owners.

Please don't kid yourself, that the small group of disatisfied customers on here that spend all day measuring mpg's and whining equates to a significant percentage of Lexus diesels sold. Do you think all the satisfied owners could be bothered to open multiple identical "diesel mpg" posts on here?

The only problem with the diesel as I see it, is the lack of an auto.

If you want an economical car, don't buy a Lexus. They have never had the most economical engines, petrol or diesel. The engines are normally tuned for smoothness, rather than maximising mpg. A VW polo diesel will give you 70mpg, if thats what interests you.

You cannot spec a BMW, Merc or Audi anywhere near a Lexus for the same money, not even close. Spend the money saved on diesel...

Sorry for the rant!

I wish the handful of diesel owners on this forum experiencing mpg issues would stop making blanket statements about the IS diesel.

"if" your car is faulty and doesn't give the mpg you think your driving style and driving conditions deserve, fine but please stop making out you are in the majority and speak for all diesel owners.

Please don't kid yourself, that the small group of disatisfied customers on here that spend all day measuring mpg's and whining equates to a significant percentage of Lexus diesels sold. Do you think all the satisfied owners could be bothered to open multiple identical "diesel mpg" posts on here?

The only problem with the diesel as I see it, is the lack of an auto.

If you want an economical car, don't buy a Lexus. They have never had the most economical engines, petrol or diesel. The engines are normally tuned for smoothness, rather than maximising mpg. A VW polo diesel will give you 70mpg, if thats what interests you.

You cannot spec a BMW, Merc or Audi anywhere near a Lexus for the same money, not even close. Spend the money saved on diesel...

Sorry for the rant!

If being one of the (extremely large) handful of owners who is not a happy bunny you mean me that’s fine. To say that the unhappy is the minority bunch then it is you that are kidding yourself. I have spoken to a lot of owners at Lexus dealers (Nottingham, Manchester & Leicester) who are not happy. The dealers are really struggling because there is no cure and do not know what to tell their customers.

As you own a sport, you are able to put the car in 6th gear @ 60mph without all of your fillings falling out unlike SE drivers, where only 80mph is acceptable. You don't suffer with multi, multi gear changes on motorway driving because of this problem.

The fuel consumption of the sport in real life is far closer to the figure advertised than the SE. Though every time I've had an auto IS250SE for the day I've got far better mpg than the sport which begs the question why did you buy one?

Just a thought!

Sorry for the rant (not!)

Roonalo - do me a favour and take a look here:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=47474

It actually shows today that out of 34 220d owners votes, 50% are unhappy with the fuel economy. Sorry buddy - that' half the people! if that's representative, then one in 2 buyers will go back to the dealer for a heart to heart...and it's not a minor handful!

The figures speak for themselves, and I am glad I kicked that one off.

PS - this is my final post on here. Sorry if my rants have offended anyone over the last 2 years...

I don't think you can call 34 people representative. Most people will use a forum like this only when they issues. Most happy owners would not look to find a forum like this just to express their happiness.

Jamboo, you haven't offended anyone, and why is this your last post? I am only expressing my opinion, don't take it to heart.

have you seen this post:-

"Update a few weeks on.......

I have been religiously recording my MPG for the last couple of months now and driving as I now believe the car is intended to be driven. Yes, when needed I will use the power available but generally I now drive sensibily and on motorways stick to about 78 with cruise on in 6th (although Garmin Satnav indicates I'm actually doing 72mph!). I have now been driving in the 'new' style for so long I don't even have to think about it.

Anyway, end result is that I am now getting 40+mpg each and every tank of fuel - only 1 blip and this was when I was stuck on the M5 for 2 hours in very slow traffic (<10mph)

When I started my recording process, the running MPG was 36.38 - now it is 39.06 and continues to rise each and every tank.

My driving is 70% motorway, 30% A / B roads and I'm finding now that even on the A/B roads, I'm getting high 30's mpg. Car has now done 15,000 and is 5 months old.

So, in short, I'm getting there and am now far more happy with the car."

This was an SE driver, who changed their driving style and acheived good economy.

Harry, I bought the diesel Sport because I wanted economy and the sport spec, I'm extremely happy with the car and get good economy (far greater than you'd get from an250SE, 42mpg) thats why I bought 1.

It seems to me that the poll is not quite representative, since I have yet to meet the first 220d owner who has serious problems with fuel economy. There are not that many of us 220d owners here in Finland, so that may be the reason. Still, if half of the owners were struggling with this, I should have already met several of them!

And a bit :offtopic: There has been a lot of discussion here in Finland (and in German car magazines, too) on the new BMW Efficient Dynamics models and how they seem to be really struggling to achieve their claimed fuel efficiency numbers. To me, it seems there is a general trend towards official numbers drifting away from the real life fuel consumption. Personally, I think this is more because of the outdated official measurements than because of car manufacturers trying to fool us all. Cars are increasingly optimized to get the best possible result in the official test, which gives them better marketing value and in many countries tax benefits, too. If and when the cars in real life are not driven in the same way than in the official tests, the results are something completely different. The official test cycle should be updated to better match the way the cars are actually driven, IMHO.

PS - Jamboo, where are you going?! Your not abandonning us completely, are you?

I don't think you can call 34 people representative. Most people will use a forum like this only when they issues. Most happy owners would not look to find a forum like this just to express their happiness.

Jamboo, you haven't offended anyone, and why is this your last post? I am only expressing my opinion, don't take it to heart.

have you seen this post:-

"Update a few weeks on.......

I have been religiously recording my MPG for the last couple of months now and driving as I now believe the car is intended to be driven. Yes, when needed I will use the power available but generally I now drive sensibily and on motorways stick to about 78 with cruise on in 6th (although Garmin Satnav indicates I'm actually doing 72mph!). I have now been driving in the 'new' style for so long I don't even have to think about it.

Anyway, end result is that I am now getting 40+mpg each and every tank of fuel - only 1 blip and this was when I was stuck on the M5 for 2 hours in very slow traffic (<10mph)

When I started my recording process, the running MPG was 36.38 - now it is 39.06 and continues to rise each and every tank.

My driving is 70% motorway, 30% A / B roads and I'm finding now that even on the A/B roads, I'm getting high 30's mpg. Car has now done 15,000 and is 5 months old.

So, in short, I'm getting there and am now far more happy with the car."

This was an SE driver, who changed their driving style and acheived good economy.

Harry, I bought the diesel Sport because I wanted economy and the sport spec, I'm extremely happy with the car and get good economy (far greater than you'd get from an250SE, 42mpg) thats why I bought 1.

You must be the only 'England' driver that is getting 40+

I have not seen 40+ since 3 updates and 2 break downs!! I know Matus & Finlex achieve better figures but not anyone in Blighty.

Also I agree with you about forum and thats why I make a point of going in Lexus dealers around the country and talking to owners. I was seriously thinking about going legal with this but have been told I'm too small a fish to go against Lexus GB!! :tsktsk:

With regard to Roonaldo's comment's I did the same.

Put some diesel in drove to work which was about 15miles of country A roads (A71) undulating, twisty road with some fast straights, then had about 6 miles of stop/start traffic as I came into work.

Left work and took car back to dealership all motorway held it between 70-80 but light on throttle, came into Glasgow and had about 20mins of stop/start rush hour traffic.

On tank Av managed to get 44mpg.

These figures are acheivable in the Lexus but you have to work to acheive them which is not ideal, last year I had an A6 for a week and on a similar run mix of A roads & Motorways, got 46mpg without even trying.

Roonalo - do me a favour and take a look here:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=47474

It actually shows today that out of 34 220d owners votes, 50% are unhappy with the fuel economy. Sorry buddy - that' half the people! if that's representative, then one in 2 buyers will go back to the dealer for a heart to heart...and it's not a minor handful!

The figures speak for themselves, and I am glad I kicked that one off.

PS - this is my final post on here. Sorry if my rants have offended anyone over the last 2 years...

What I should have said is that this is my last post on this thread...I'm going no where, and no one has offended me. I love you all :blush: A while back I did state that I wouldn't complain about the fuel economy, and did all over again!! That's why!! It seems that I've been complaining about the fuel economy for so long now - it feels like an age!!

I'm certainly not changing cars or anything - even though I will be test driving the new A4 soon (can't wait)! I'll let you know how I get on...

PS - I'm not going to cmplain about the rattles either...as summer comes it'll all go very nice and quiet again!

As you own a sport, you are able to put the car in 6th gear @ 60mph without all of your fillings falling out unlike SE drivers, where only 80mph is acceptable. You don't suffer with multi, multi gear changes on motorway driving because of this problem.

I don't get this. WHY do you need to have change on 6th?

60mph on 5th is I think 1700rpm, consumption below 6l. (over 47mpg)

(btw I think that the "6th gear problem" (I dont see it as a problem) in GB you should have discovered when test-driving the car)

I have driven the "sport" version. The ratios are very close to to the standard gearbox +1. So, when on "standard" you go 70mph, you have about 1900rpm on fifth. On sport, you have about 1800rpm on 6th. So what is the difference?

(btw I think that the "6th gear problem" (I dont see it as a problem) in GB you should have discovered when test-driving the car)

I have driven the "sport" version. The ratios are very close to to the standard gearbox +1. So, when on "standard" you go 70mph, you have about 1900rpm on fifth. On sport, you have about 1800rpm on 6th. So what is the difference?

According to my calculations, 60mph (real speed) on 5th with a standard version should be about 2000 RPM. Same speed on 6th with a sport is about 1800 RPM. So the difference isn't that big, but I've come to realise that over 2000 RPM the fuel economy drops quite quickly. So with a standard version, when your driving 60+mph but not fast enough for the 6th gear, your getting worse fuel economy than you would be getting with a sport.

Matus, your right I should have had longer and took more notice when testing the car. 60mph in 5th is 2000rpm but in 6th it drops to 1500rmp and unlike gear 2-5, the car is not happy in 6th at that low revs! Every is220dse has been geared the same.

It's not too bad on my car now, but I reckon I'm used to it....

1500 RPM in 5th - the car is OK. It pulls OK and is comfortable and smooth. 1500 RPM in 6th, and it feels like you're pulling 38 tonnes. The rear mirror is useless and there is a thrumming that resonates through the car. My Passenger seat rattles and visibly shakes as a result! So it's not as simple as doing calculations - it's the actual drive which really suffers and there is something about the mechanics where simple logic fails.

It improves with the miles a bit, and it depends on the gradient too of the road.

I ran my car in religously. Never used 6th until 1200 miles and over that period used it on a variety of roads (town, A, Dual and M'way) to give it the best chance of longevity.

I said this a long while ago, for UK's speed limits, this gearing ratio is "difficult". We're constantly driving at between 65 and 75ish+ miles p/hour on the Motorways most of the time, in middle or outside lanes, constantly jocky-ing to overtake and that's where you're constantly ding donging between 5th and 6th, and on A roads, you can totally forget 6th. The handbook clearly states that 6th is for 75mph plus only, and that says it all.

I wish they had shoved an Auto into this car - all this stuff about it not being commercially viable "as there was no 'box they could shove in" is just pants. Every other manufacturer does do it and develops a specific one where needed, so why not Lexus/Toyota? Just seems half hearted and a lack of commitment to me - they can set targets for sales, but just chucking loads of kit in doesn't make sales - the facts have proven it! Whilst not many cars are selling at the mo, I've heard that they are having a bumper time at Audi and BMW!

On the test drive point, I did mention the "tightness" and I was told that the car was still new and it would loosen up. It oly had 75 mile on the clock and was one of the first 220d's in the UK. Don't get me wrong - it has, but things haven't actually improved as much as I thought. And the other thing of course is that takes you over an hour just to get a grip and stop "Wowing" at the gizmo' in the car, by which time your test drive is finished...

I've definitely learnt that you must insist on a days drive, without the salemans patter in your ear.

Finally -

I once heard on this forum that there were some new parts available for the 220d (non-sport) which would sort out the thrumming, vibration etc? I'll be asking about this when I book it in for the 20k service.

I'm sure most people know this but; The theory of keeping low revs in a high gear to assist with fuel consumption is misguided. Best fuel returns come from keeping the vehicle in the "keen" rev range. If the veh is searching for power because revs are too low fuel consumption will be hit. Around town the IS is best in 2nd and 3rd gears as far as response goes. A roads or 50+mph limits are the only real places you can use 4th and above. 6th does nothing other than take the load off the engine at high speed. Around town I reckon most fuel is wasted in the IS by having to keep pulling away in what has to be the worst 1st gear of any car on the road. If it wasn't for 1st I reckon fuel economy would be fairly reasonable. Cummings engines used to have an economy guage to assist the driver in keeping the engine revs within the best range. It was always as you neared the top of the cam leaving you enough in reserve for any requirement for sudden acceleration and away from the engine having to labour initially as you hit the accelerator. As Lexus seem to like their gadgets, maybe they could fit such a guage to the revised model to assist poor deisel IS drivers. Either that or a decent auto box as suggested above.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links