Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dunlop D8z Or Michelin Pilot Primacy?

Just about to replace my back tyres, have Dunlop's D8Z's all round at the moment, think about getting the Michelin tyres for the rears. As I find I have very little traction with the Dunlop's in the wet even when they were new. How will the Michelin's effect the noise and comfort of my Ls? Thanks for any replies Alan.

Hi

Personally I wouldn't entertain anything other than the tyres that Lexus intended, with 250+bhp and rear wheel drive you will spin any tyre you fit, the coefficient of friction between rubber and tarmac will not change much unless you go for a race tyre with sticky tread....

Pete

If it was me I would get rid of the Dunlops as I have 4 on my LS and I think they are awfull. My GS had Bridgestone Potenza's and I changed the front two to Michelin Piolot Sports and the difference was mind blowing. The road noise reduced by 50% at least. I shall be putting Michelin's on my LS430 when they need changing.

Just goes to show how difficult this is and that there is a massive difference between tyres... jsj24uk, what model of Dunlops were on your LS... does this make any difference... the one thing I found when looking for quiet tyres was that the ones with the "sporty" looking tread that runs around the tyre or swoops across it are the noisey ones, but Alan wants to improve his grip at the rear so is noise an issue....

Had a chipped Saab turbo back in the 80's and that had 200+bhp through the front wheels, I ended up with Yokohama A008's they were sticky and soft and it reduced the wheelspin greatly and it cornered on rails but they lasted less than 10000 miles.... so you get what you pay for!!!

Very emotive subject!!!

Pete

It comes back to that old thing that's been on here several times, that the (Japanese version) Dunlops were correct (as the German ones were slightly different) But I'd love to hear from anyone who actually fitted equivalent Michelins on an LS (as an old Citroen fan, where assymetrical Michelins were an essential ingredient!) I switched to Ser 4 from a very good 3, basically for the Traction control as it's SOOOO easy to spin wheels with anything but a gentle foot.

Just about to replace my back tyres, have Dunlop's D8Z's all round at the moment, think about getting the Michelin tyres for the rears. As I find I have very little traction with the Dunlop's in the wet even when they were new. How will the Michelin's effect the noise and comfort of my Ls? Thanks for any replies Alan.

Hi Alan

Just put 4 Michelins on my 98 LS400 today (£520 black circles) - had the DBZ's on prior to this & covered 30,000 without any problems. Early days but the Michelins seem fine - I couldn't get hold of any Dunlops - even the Dunlop factory were out of stock & said they didn't know when (or if) they would be making any more.

Nick

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links