Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Headunit From Usa

Does anyone have any experience with headunits from the USA? The prices are ridiculously cheaper in the US compared to the UK but I'm just wondering about what problems I can expect to face if I bought a US headunit.......

I have heard from a few people that US headunits can be switched to work on our radio frequencies as well, but the ones I played with in a store all go up in increments of 0.2MHz instead of the 0.05 that ours do..........does anyone know if it can be changed in the settings or something to work with our FM frequencies?

Are there any other problems that I would face? Are all the connectors the same? Would I be able to use the cable off eBay to bypass the standard amp in the IS200 with no problems?

I don't think the Americans have rds or traffic information

Not too fussed about RDS or traffic info, although the US units do display station names.........do they use a different system for this?

Don't believe the USA units can be fixed to work like the Japan units can.

After a bit of searching I've found that some headunits already have the other frequency steps in them too, and all it takes is a few key presses to switch it over to european steps - just finding it hard to figure out whether its all headunits that do this.

Thanks for all the replies so far, if anyone knows for sure that would be really helpful :)

• 3 weeks later...

My Pioneer headunit comes from the US, it works perfectly. RDS works has far as I can tell.

I bought a Clarion DVD player for a friend from Asia, theonly issue he haad was the DVD zone

lets put it this way mate, my brother has had 2 headunits and a cd changer from the US and all work perfectly well.

his current headunit has MP3, CD, SD and USB functionality with graphic equaliser and cost next to nothing.

go for it mate

lets put it this way mate, my brother has had 2 headunits and a cd changer from the US and all work perfectly well.

his current headunit has MP3, CD, SD and USB functionality with graphic equaliser and cost next to nothing.

go for it mate

Damn I wish this had come earlier - no worries, back in the UK now but will have to get one next time I'm out there!

No one could tell me for sure if all stereos could switch frequencies from US steps to European steps.......

Agree about the prices though, I could have got the Pioneer D3 (double din DVD, MP3, navigation, etc) for $900

My bro bought a basic JVC head unit about 6 years ago from florida, its default was to tune in 0.3mhz (or khz, whatever FM is measuered in) increments, rather than the .1 or 0.05 you get on UK spec models, however a few minutes reading the manual and a menu option was found to switch the unit over to 0.5 increments. So even cheap basic models tend to have the option.

There is always likely to be this option as manufacturers are unlikely to produce 2 types of H/U.

im heading over on monday, could maybe get hold of one for you??

Nah don't worry about it, I've got an alternative Bluetooth multimedia solution on the way for now - means I keep the stock stereo in as well which aesthetically I prefer.

I'll think about doing the headunit swap later if I get bored of it and don't find a similarly simple cost-effective solution to add video to the factory nav screen.......

Thanks for the offer though :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links