Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hey guys!

Ok has any one put a set of 18" rims on a ls before? The reasons why i ask is that i bought a set of deep dish rims, i was told that i would have no problems putting them on, so i put it on 235, 50, 18's. Initial problem is that i lowered the car too much and they didnt fit. The ride was terrible so easily enough i put the old springs back on. Lone behold the tyres are still hitting the arches and taking chucks out of the tyre!!

Can anyone advise me please??????]

Cheers Mat

Hey guys!

Ok has any one put a set of 18" rims on a ls before? The reasons why i ask is that i bought a set of deep dish rims, i was told that i would have no problems putting them on, so i put it on 235, 50, 18's. Initial problem is that i lowered the car too much and they didnt fit. The ride was terrible so easily enough i put the old springs back on. Lone behold the tyres are still hitting the arches and taking chucks out of the tyre!!

Cheers Mat

Hello.

I've got 18's on mine and I've just fitted 265/35/18's on the back and there are no problems. I haven't lowered it tho!

To me 50 profiles on a 235 is a little on the too high side. 40's or a 35 profile would be better. (I have 235/40's on the front)

Hope this is of some help?

Ade.

If it is cutting into the wall of the tyre then the offset is wrong on the wheels. If it is the top of the tyre then lower the profile 45 or 40s.

I wouldn't advise 35s on an LS the ride would be bad. You would feel every bump in the road 'cos the LS is a heavy car.

I had bigger wheels on my LS400 Can't remember if they were 18s or 19s but I had 45 profile tyre on and the ride was still good.

I'll look into it

Thanks for the reply fellas!

Firstly what's the spec of the alloys?

You should have the following size. 18 x 7.5 to 9.5 is the max with an offset of +35 to +40mm for even tyre wear.

Tyres should be around 235 - 265 with a height of 35 to 40mm.

With a lowered car then I would put on some 18x8(35mm offset) fitted with 245/35/18 tyres.

If you still have problem rubbing on the arches you can buy a sard body arch roller which will curve up the edge on the inside away form the tyres. They are about £60 I think for the roller. A body shop may also have a machine to do the thing.

Well to over come the problem i took off the lowered springs as the ride was terrible and put the old springs back on, but im still having the same problem, so it has too be the offset of the wheel. Very very fustrating. Even my my good friend who deals with tyres says that 235 should fit, but its catching on the lip of the arch.

Where can i buy this roller gadget?

Cheers

If it is cutting into the wall of the tyre then the offset is wrong on the wheels. If it is the top of the tyre then lower the profile 45 or 40s.

I wouldn't advise 35s on an LS the ride would be bad. You would feel every bump in the road 'cos the LS is a heavy car.

I had bigger wheels on my LS400 Can't remember if they were 18s or 19s but I had 45 profile tyre on and the ride was still good.

The 35's on mine have no different ride characteristics than the 40's that were on there previously!

If the width of the tyre is increased (from 235 to 265) it is necessary to lower the side wall profile to retain the same rolling radius. In effect a 235/40 and a 265/35 will have very little if any change in sidewall size.

bazgtr's reply is also spot on!

Ade.

hey,

ok the the rims are 8X18 offset of 35. With the tyres that are on 235 50 18, the tyre is virtually in line with the outer body work. i am looking at changing the tyre to 225 40 18

Suggestions please

Many thanks for your time!

Mat

hey,

ok the the rims are 8X18 offset of 35. With the tyres that are on 235 50 18, the tyre is virtually in line with the outer body work. i am looking at changing the tyre to 225 40 18

Suggestions please

Mat

You need 245/35/18 with that alloy to get to as near as dam it to the rolling radius of the old alloys.

Don't put a thinner tyre on, As you'll end up kerbing the alloys instead of the tyre wall. Wider tyres saves the alloys from kerbing which I see some many times at shows where people save about £30 for slightly thinner tyres and then end up refurbing them at a greater cost to bring them back to top condition and all becuase they try and save £30 after spending hundreds on new alloys.

hey,

Suggestions please

Mat

You need 245/35/18 with that alloy to get to as near as dam it to the rolling radius of the old alloys.

Don't put a thinner tyre on, As you'll end up kerbing the alloys instead of the tyre wall. Wider tyres saves the alloys from kerbing which I see some many times at shows where people save about £30 for slightly thinner tyres and then end up refurbing them at a greater cost to bring them back to top condition and all becuase they try and save £30 after spending hundreds on new alloys.

Bazgtr makes a good point. Why not go onto Tyre Traders web site and use the tyre calculator. You can put in the options and it works out the radius/diameter for you. :winky:

• 2 weeks later...

ok result well almost!! i have put on the rear 155 40 R18 and on the front 145 40 R 18! Fronts are great but the back is still rubbing i think its because of the lip on the arch is facing down. bazgtr you mentioned a sard body arch roller, where can i get them from and what do they actually do?

Cheers

in what way height or width? i have too be honest bean i have been taking advice from people off this forum, my tyre guy in deals in tyres day in a day out, taking into consideration the problems i have had and also finally looking at a tyre calculation website which passman 33 kindly gave me, so either way i can only do so much!

Mat

Mat

I think Jellybean is being sarcastic, you put 155 and 145, we think you mean 255 and 245, I had a fiat panda years ago and it had 145's, they are very skinny....

If you go to a body shop, any panel beater worth his salt will be able to roll the arches out of the way without cracking the paint or damaging the arch.

The tool he is talking about will cost more and you do have to have experiance to achive a good result.

Good luck, and by the way the car looks great you should be proud.

Pete

Hey guys!

Cheers Mat

Hi Mat ,When u lower a car ,the 1st thing is your tyre profile.From a 50 u should maybe go toa 30,to put a deep dish with a 114 off set, NO.I think u only get a 1'' dish because of the off set of the car. Ive had the same problem ,Ive gone with 19x9,5 with 114 off set on the front,and 19x10

on the rear,and fitted 265-30 and 245-30 tyres.Ive had no rubbing problems but had to do my wheel camber.well try to get some picture up soon.Find out what wheels u have, the off set ,EG 18x10x114, so that i can check it out for u .TERRY :)

Hey guys!

Cheers Mat

Hi Mat ,When u lower a car ,the 1st thing is your tyre profile.From a 50 u should maybe go toa 30,to put a deep dish with a 114 off set, NO.I think u only get a 1'' dish because of the off set of the car. Ive had the same problem ,Ive gone with 19x9,5 with 114 off set on the front,and 19x10

on the rear,and fitted 265-30 and 245-30 tyres.Ive had no rubbing problems but had to do my wheel camber.well try to get some picture up soon.Find out what wheels u have, the off set ,EG 18x10x114, so that i can check it out for u .TERRY :)

Hi ,just found the imfo on your wheels .18x8.5x114 with 35off set.u won't got a deep dish on .The only wheel u will get is 18x9 or 9.5 ,5 stud 114 hole and 37 to 40 off set,and u need a 35 to get 2" dish.U can get a18x9,5 or 10 with 114-35 with 1" dishand use 225 in front and 245 onthe rear with 30 profile :question:

Wow Terry your clearly know your stufff as you just lost me!!!! lol so what i have on the back is no good? i know it is catching but i was going to modify the lip on the arch and prey that would work. Im afraid sir you will have to simply it lol!!!

Thanks pete i hadn't realise what i wrote and sarcasm really doesnt show that well in writing haha Thanks ever so much for you comment though thank you!

Best wishes Mat

Hey guys!

Cheers Mat

114 Is NOT the offset.

114 is the stud pattern measurement i.e 114 X 5 Stud pattern (In fact the LEXUS fitment is 114.3 X 5)

The offset (35-45) for example, is only 2 figures and stamped into the inside of the wheel

Hey guys!

Cheers Mat

114 Is NOT the offset.

114 is the stud pattern measurement i.e 114 X 5 Stud pattern (In fact the LEXUS fitment is 114.3 X 5)

The offset (35-45) for example, is only 2 figures and stamped into the inside of the wheel

Sorry doc ,just a ,boo-boo talking faster than i can . :tomato: type.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links