Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Caliper Painting (new Member)

Manps

Hello all,

I've joined the ranks of lexus ownership a couple of months ago and absolutley love the car (IS200 SE with the works sat nav etc -which is great as i often get lost l :winky: )

I've been reading various topic over the last month and am impressed with the knowledge being dished out...

A quick question, i'm wanting to get my brake calipers painted red (give the car a better look).. however my car knowledge is limited and i know its something i could do myself. But i'll probably end up taking it to a garage (most likely lexus derby), however do they do this and how much would it likely cost. It seems like a quick basic job???

Any advice would be welcomed... (i've seen threads that explain how to do it but realistically i don;t think i'll have the time)

Thanks in advance guys

Manps

I dont think a dealership would do it, a normal garage properly wouldn't either.

its not a massive job, properly just a couple of hours plus overnight drying time.

Honestly mate have a crack at it yourself you can get the kits from Halfords.

Stav

Thats one of the first thing i did to my lexus, took me a while to know that u can (took me nearly a year before i knew there was a Lexus forum lol) as i used to look at my car and the only thing that spoiled it was the dull half corroded brake caliper. I also wish that the OEM lexus discs didn't rust overnight..oh and don't forget about the "Lexus" decals to add that little spark to them. Get them from eBay.

valve.jpg

DSCF0367.jpg

I got mine done at a garage, if you decide to get them done at a garage make sure you tell them to cover the whole caliper and not skip the back part. Think they charged me £110 all round.

oh and welcome to LOC manps...i see the modding bug has their eyes on u...

As the rest have said, a quick easy DIY job. I used spray acrylic paint from Halfrauds as it had a 20 minute drying time compared to hammerites couple of hours. Masked off the discs etc and nice easy job. Applied the chrome Lexus calliper stickers and then sprayed a clear top coat. Took about an hour per axle.

post-19263-1194275485.jpg

i havent got a close up shot but i done mine too.

i also noticed from the other photo's that u guys havent taken off the ridge on the front.

i got the dremel on mine and smoothed them all over so there arent any ridges or sharpe edges. was very easy but took a little more time.

i bought the red heatproof paint from Halfords that cost £7. i got all four calipers from one tin.

but a friend of mine just uses standard paint, not heat proof. he's look fine and he does lots of heavy breaking so the heat gets into them. i might do mine again and use normal paint then laquer them too cos there not the shinyest they could be and there a little hard to clean sometimes.

redfronts.jpg

redrears.jpg

Don't you take the callipers off the car to paint them??? It sounds like you just took the wheel off and went round with a brush.

You don't have to take the callipers off. If you are brushing the paint on just paint carefully, if spraying just mask verything off.

2D, If it WAS through a hole you must have been really patient and posess the steadiness of tight-rope walker! That or it wasnt the caliper you painted :oops::lol:

:oops::whistling: OMG how DUMB am i lol :blush:

My other half took the wheel off & jacked it up 4 me :tomato:

I painted the calipers & stuck the decalls on :winky:

Carnt beleve i said that u c i tell u im thick :unsure:

:iraqi-info-minister:

Cheers for all the responses.... and the pics posted were very helpful!.

I think i'll wait for the weather to improve and then dedicate a saturday to doing it, decided on painting em black as it doesn't stick out to much but looks very smart when noticed. And goes with the very important young director/entrepreneur look i try to portray when i'm driving lol.

along with a personal number plate i think thats me done in changes.

Cheers and i think i'l carry on reading through some of these other very handy threads

Manps

Cheers for all the responses.... and the pics posted were very helpful!.

I think i'll wait for the weather to improve and then dedicate a saturday to doing it, decided on painting em black as it doesn't stick out to much but looks very smart when noticed. And goes with the very important young director/entrepreneur look i try to portray when i'm driving lol.

along with a personal number plate i think thats me done in changes.

Cheers and i think i'l carry on reading through some of these other very handy threads

Manps

Bet we can change that over the next year!

I said that when i bought mine. .lol

Stav

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links