Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Service Plan

Mincey

I've been quoted around £950 for a three service package (major, minor, major) on the Lexus Service Plan. While I appreciate that this won't cover tyres, brakes etc, does this sound like a good deal? I'll be paying in monthly installments and will just want to drop the car off for the service, then pick it up again without having to hand over any extra cash. I'm sure Lexus will be making some extra money out of me through the plan, but does this seem reasonable? I'm not sure how much major and minor services for an IS250 are to be honest.

I bought a Lexus Service plan for our RX300 when we bought the car. I wanted 'fixed costs' during our ownership and so opted for one of those. The way I went about working out if it was cost effective *or not) was to see what Lexus Hanley charge for each relevant service and hen see what cost comes out for the Service Plan. In my case the was only very slightly cheaper than Hanley's prices.

Living in Milton Keynes, there was no way I could get to them so I figured that with this Service Plan, I would get cost effective servicing - plus I could the car to any Lexus Main Dealer in the UK and get it serviced without worry. With labour rates making up the bulk of 'service' costs and they invariably go up every year - I think the service plan is a very good idea.

You will have to work out your own costs and go from there (feel free to search for my posting in the RX forum on this topic).

At about £350 x 2 for the major services + £200 for the minor, I can't see where the saving is?

Thanks for that - I thought that's the region the costs would be in. So, that's a premium of £55 for subscribing to the plan and being able to pay monthly. The only reason I'll take it out is if I can just drop the car off in the morning and then pick it up later without having to go anywhere remotely near my wallet. However, my last two IS's were very well behaved while under warranty, so I might be worrying unduly. Putting the £44 or whatever per month into a high interest account sounds a better idea. I might try and haggle the price down to £900 though - what do you think?

If the price you have been quoted is for a Lexus Service plan (IE: usable at ANY dealership) then the price is fixed - the system will not allow you to reduce (or increase) the cost. You might be lucky and get some sort of kickback from the Dealer to offset the cost, but as this is centrally administered, local Lexus Dealership has no control over it.

Many dealership groups (like Sytner) are offering their 'own' service packages - just be sure you know what you are buying. The one we have is centrally administered by Lexus and we are free to go to whichever dealership we choose.

I tried negotiating, but didn't get anything of the cost of £606 for my plan (which was for a 50k, 60k and 70k plan).

If the price you have been quoted is for a Lexus Service plan (IE: usable at ANY dealership) then the price is fixed - the system will not allow you to reduce (or increase) the cost. You might be lucky and get some sort of kickback from the Dealer to offset the cost, but as this is centrally administered, local Lexus Dealership has no control over it.

Many dealership groups (like Sytner) are offering their 'own' service packages - just be sure you know what you are buying. The one we have is centrally administered by Lexus and we are free to go to whichever dealership we choose.

I tried negotiating, but didn't get anything of the cost of £606 for my plan (which was for a 50k, 60k and 70k plan).

Many thanks for your advice. I'll ask a few questions next week before committing (or not!).

The best thing is too search all the dealers and see how much they are charging for the services and see if that works out at good value but by the sound it you'll be paying more for the plan.

You might as well put the same amount that you would be paying a month for a plan into a savings account and by the time your service comes you'll have the money already there!

The thing with the plans is that some combination can be cheaper and some just as expensive. Its just one of those tings. Remember, you can buy a service plan at any time. So if you find that the 10k, 20k & 30k services aren't much cheaper, have a look at the 20k, 30k & 40k plan - you might find thats much cheaper than those individual services.

I have a plan for our RX and its cheaper than the prices Lexus Hanley charge...so I know its a very good deal. Don't assume that the plan will be more expensive, work out figures, try different combinations :)

At about £350 x 2 for the major services + £200 for the minor, I can't see where the saving is?

Thanks for that - I thought that's the region the costs would be in. So, that's a premium of £55 for subscribing to the plan and being able to pay monthly. The only reason I'll take it out is if I can just drop the car off in the morning and then pick it up later without having to go anywhere remotely near my wallet. However, my last two IS's were very well behaved while under warranty, so I might be worrying unduly. Putting the £44 or whatever per month into a high interest account sounds a better idea. I might try and haggle the price down to £900 though - what do you think?

I think if you can be disciplined and put away that £44 or so a month then that's the way to go. I was offered the service plan but it seemed to work out the same as paying for them seperately. The other thing is, if you decide to sell the car what happens to the service plan? Do they give some money back? I can't see them taking it much into account on any trade in value.

Yes dealership prices vary - because they tend to cost jobs differently (units of time) and also quote inclusive (for say service + brake fluid). So do ask the questions as to what you're going to get for your money. Also remember 90% cost of the service has to do with labour rates - they are always on the way up. By purchasing a service plan, you freeze the cost of servicing at an agreed level. Then you are free to go wherever for servicing you please, without worry. If the schedule says you need it doing, then it gets done regardless.

If you sell your car (privately) then the plan is transferable (with the car) - so its a value-added feature too. I think too many people are far too cynical when it comes t these sorts of plans.

I decided to go for it in the end. It wasn't much more expensive than the individual services added together and although I could have put the money away in an account and earned some interest on it, it's something less to worry about this way. Many thanks for everybody's thoughts on this one.

• 5 weeks later...

Lexus Hatfield have quoted me £964.06 for 2 services? that doesn't seem right does it?

I rung them yesterday and they told me it covered my IS200's 45k intermediate service and it's 55k major services. I asked them to break it down and they reckoned that a major service would be around the £750 mark, seems very high to me no?

I was quoted 785.83 for a major and minor service, 120 000 and 130 000, GS300.

According to the service book the 120 000 is a very big service but in the quote it worked out cheaper than the 130 000 minor service.

Can't say I was overly impressed with the way they treat their customers either.

Customer A rolled up in a near new motor and looked as if he had a few quid, staff were all over him yes sir no sir would you like a brew sir.

Customer B first time ever in a Lexus dealership, dressed smart but casual, golf gear type of thing, nothing no hello kiss me arse or anything two staff continue to suck up to bloke A, one member of staff went to get him a brew while the other sorted out a date to bring his car in for a service. leaving me to feel like a spare prick at a wedding.

All in all I think I'll be getting my services done at my regular place where everyone is treated with respect.

BTW this was at Lexus Bolton.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links