Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can anyone tell me what the "IS" stands for in the 220/250 model name. - Merv : :question:

Same as it does for the IS200 and 300 ..It is 'Intermediate Sedan', as the GS is 'Grand Sedan' and the LS is 'Luxury Sedan'.

Never knew that it actually meant something...just the was the product line up was devised by Lexus, like with the BMW 1 / 3 / 5 / 6 etc. series numbers. Nice to know theres thought behind it all :)

Can anyone tell me what the "IS" stands for in the 220/250 model name. - Merv : :question:

Same as it does for the IS200 and 300 ..It is 'Intermediate Sedan', as the GS is 'Grand Sedan' and the LS is 'Luxury Sedan'.

"According to Lexus, the IS designation stands for Intelligent Sport"

At least that's what the Wikipedia article reckons:

Wikipedia IS

I'm sure you're right but I have read it as meaning "Intelligent Sport" somewhere - mind you I'm not sure what that means??

So does IS-F stand for: Intermediate Sedan - Fecking Fast?

Wikipedia IS

Don't know who posted it in Wikpedia, but they got it wrong. :whistling: Check with Lexus :winky:

Make your own up if you like ....

Wikipedia IS

Don't know who posted it in Wikpedia, but they got it wrong. :whistling: Check with Lexus :winky:

Video on the lexus.com website seems to think it's "Intelligent Sport". See screenshot here:

Screenshot

Wikipedia IS

Video on the lexus.com website seems to think it's "Intelligent Sport". See screenshot here:

Screenshot

As I said, make your own up...the original Lexus designation in the USA was 'Intermediate Sedan'..before the Lexus badge existed anywhere else, including Japan.

As I said, make your own up...the original Lexus designation in the USA was 'Intermediate Sedan'..before the Lexus badge existed anywhere else, including Japan.

Sorry, I don't quite understand that? The IS launched in Europe first (1999) before the US (2000) - and by the time the IS was launched over here Lexus had been trading in the UK since 1990.

In fact, come to think of it, the IS was never developed as a Lexus product but as the Toyota Altezza and was rebadged to give European dealers something to compete with the BMW 3-series (I know I'm preaching to the converted here), followed by demand from US dealers' causing it to be launched there as the IS300. Plus it's not Intermediate in size - it's classed as a compact. I'm beginning to think Intelligent Sport is the right way to go.

Sorry, I don't quite understand that? The IS launched in Europe first (1999) before the US (2000) - and by the time the IS was launched over here Lexus had been trading in the UK since 1990.

In fact, come to think of it, the IS was never developed as a Lexus product but as the Toyota Altezza and was rebadged to give European dealers something to compete with the BMW 3-series (I know I'm preaching to the converted here), followed by demand from US dealers' causing it to be launched there as the IS300. Plus it's not Intermediate in size - it's classed as a compact. I'm beginning to think Intelligent Sport is the right way to go.

That's BS ...

The History of Lexus: Since the Lexus nameplate was established in 1987, the luxury division of Toyota has strived to establish itself as a leader in the prestigious automotive market. The achievement of this status is a result of years of research and development, and takes its roots from the tradition established and used more than 50 years ago by its parent company, Toyota Motor Corporation.

The story of how Lexus evolved from an idea proposed at a secret meeting in 1983 to the premier luxury nameplate in the world is an impressive one, with several key milestones and the top of the automotive world.

Aug. 1983 -- Toyota Chairman Eiji Toyoda, keenly aware of Toyota's long and outstanding history, decides the time had come for the logical next step (i.e the creation of Lexus). At a top-level, top-secret meeting of Toyota management, strategists and engineers, the question is posed, "Can we create a luxury car to challenge the very best?" The answer was not only a resounding "yes," but the conviction that this challenge must be undertaken.

May 1985 -- Lexus conducts its first tests of the American waters. A new study team headed by Jimbo attended focus groups and interviewed dealers in San Francisco, Houston, Miami and New York in an effort to "get to know the American customer." A separate five-person Lexus Design team moved to Laguna Beach, Calif., to study lifestyles and integrate design concepts suited for the American luxury car buyer. This team spent the entire summer in Southern California and worked closely with designers at Calty Design, Toyota's American design studio.

July 1985 -- The first of 450 running prototypes is built. It represents the work of 60 designers, 24 engineering teams, 1,400 engineers, 2,300 technicians, and 220 support workers.

Even the name is a giveaway ... Lexus was the project name given by Toyota in the mid 1980's, as an acronym for Limited EXport United States.

If you still don't believe..read the book http://www.chesterdawson.com/content/behind.asp

Tango is right, this is the original definition for the Lexus range

SC stands for Sport Coupé, ES stands for Economy Sedan, GX for Grand Crossover and LX for Luxury Crossover and RX stands for I don't know what :P

Once again Tango thanks for information, it is without question know your stuff. Little did I expect my query to spark of such a debate. Also a very interesting link by Tango and well worth a read.

[Even the name is a giveaway ... Lexus was the project name given by Toyota in the mid 1980's, as an acronym for Limited EXport United States.

If you still don't believe..read the book http://www.chesterdawson.com/content/behind.asp

Read it? I have it right here in my hand "Lexus - The Relentless Pursuit", by Chester Dawson.

Lexus does not stand for Limited Export United States or Luxury Export United States - these are myths that have grown up around the name.

The name Lexus was agreed in 1986 after a master list of 219 potential names was whittled down to 5 possibles (page 111 if you are following in the book). Those names were Alexis, Calibre, Chaparel, Vectre and Verone. The only one agreed on was Alexis - but the main argument against it was that it sounded too much like a name - particularly the woman from Dynasty. Anyway, after some doodling by a guy from project team, he scratched out the "A" and changed the "i" to a "u" and Lexus was born.

To end the debate on what IS means you have to go to page 178 in the book where the reasoning behind the conversion of the Altezza to a Lexus model is discussed (see previous post). It means "International Sedan" and was first launched in Europe, followed by the US. Hope this helps.

Easy all, this is still a friendly forum, right? :winky:

I think everyone has a point here. Northern Boys Luv Gravy looks to have found the original meaning of it - "International Sedan". Tango - you're right, there's an element of picking whatever you fancy as it's clearly an ambiguous designation. Lexus seem to be doing just that - at least for marketing in the US, where they're using "Intelligent Sport".

It'd like to go for the option of "Incredibly Sozzled" but it's a little early in the day for that :P

IS? Surely these letters stand for "Instant Success" because when the IS200 came out back in 99, I bought one and I was sold in a flash. The IS has attitude, personality and is reliable. We do not find qualities like this any more, whether in our dogs, kids or wives for that matter! (only joking). In this false world of hype, advertising, small print and awful service, Lexus came to the UK and whupped a few asses!

seeing as though the Altezza RS came first..... what does the RS stand for? it was first launched by Totoya in 1998 in Japan....

I'm not sure. There were 3 variants of the original IS:

The AS200, which we got in Europe and had a 150bhp 6 cylinder in-line engine - the IS200.

The RS200, which we didn't get in Europe and featured a 200bhp 4 cylinder engine.

Instead we got the AS300, which was the 3 litre straight 6 and offered 210bhp in the IS300.

There are RS versions about as people have imported them from Japan.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links