Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gear Box

rev1

Got is200 sport and the gear box seems to be whining as you drive. Sounds more like a gt or rally car at the mo and is quite worrying. Friend told me the layshaft could be going. Anyone have an answer? It doesn't make the noise in fifth just the rest. HELP!

Whats the mileage ? You could try RVS Treatment or put it to pieces...

the RVS treatment sounds like a complete load of balls.... i wouldnt waste your time. if it is so great and rebuilds worn surfaces then everyone would be using it.

the magnets to impove fuel efficiency are from the same group of "wonder products"

Whats the mileage ? You could try RVS Treatment or put it to pieces...

the RVS treatment sounds like a complete load of balls.... i wouldnt waste your time. if it is so great and rebuilds worn surfaces then everyone would be using it.

the magnets to impove fuel efficiency are from the same group of "wonder products"

How about adding some Snake Oil to the gearbox? [Runs away quickly....]

Not sure what was wrong with mine but it sounds like the same problem, similar mileage too (think mine was around 78-79K). Luckily the previous owner had the gearbox replaced before I bought it off him as he worked for Toyota.

I'm sorry I can't give any advice really other than it's not just your IS200 that's done it.

Got is200 sport and the gear box seems to be whining as you drive. Sounds more like a gt or rally car at the mo and is quite worrying. Friend told me the layshaft could be going. Anyone have an answer? It doesn't make the noise in fifth just the rest. HELP!

Alright mate

I've got a similar problem with my IS and was quite worried about it so I decided to go to lexus and test drive a couple of the cars (pretending to buy one), one had 40000 miles and the other had 32000 miles and they sounded exactly the same, whining in 2nd and slightly on 3rd gears. A mate of mine has brought an IS200 on a 02 plate with approx 40000 miles on it his one is exactly the same, so I decided not to worry about it. I've had the car for a year now and it hasn't got any louder!!!!

shak

rev1 Have your transmission fluids checked/changed in some service recently/even all ?

Going to have everything checked next week as the missus is going to have the baby in a few weeks. Can't have the car out of action when the time comes. My mum said it sounds like being in a learjet. HAHA! Will be in touch when I have the car checked . Thanks for all help.

• 4 weeks later...

All,

Just out of interest, does anyone notice a difference to the noise if the stereo is off or on?

Noticed our car had a very slight noise when the stereo was on the other day and I just put it down to bad suppression.

I will check with the stereo off and when cold or warm next time I get the car to myself.

The missus nicks it most of the time as I get the train to work.

Cheers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links