Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I have a '94 GS300 and it has run sweetly for the last 4 years - but the other day I noticed a rumbling from the front nearside which I am sure is a wheel bearing.

I spoke to a local workshop who quoted me £100 for the kit and £120 for the labour.

I know I can get the kits for about £50, but wondered how much of a job it would be to replace it, and if this is even possible without specials tools of some kind.

Has anyone had experience of replacing a front wheel bearing?

Are there any pitfalls I could encounter if I tried to do it myself?

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who may be interested, I solved the problem.

I removed the wheel and brake calipers (only two bolts), then removed the hub from the suspension unit (2 more bolts). Time taken 45 minutes.

I bought a new bearing (Mills Autos - £45) and took the hub with the old bearing still in it and the new bearing to a local engineers who had the necessary press. They removed the old bearing and replaced it with the new one (1/2hr at £40/hr =£20).

I then replaced the hub, calipers and wheel. Time taken 35 minutes.

- job done - cost £65 total and time 2hrs 20 minutes total (including travelling time). Sweet!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links