Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Having owned the 535d M Sport now for 3 days and comparing it over my IS220d sport its hell a lot quieter and smoother. Even the mpg is better. All this nonsense about diesel engines being noisy are old now. For those of you who have not say in a 535d i suggest you do and then talk about it. Dont slack a car until you have driven or been in one. I smoke most cars on the road and at the same time is an amazing town cruiser with great mpg and a dream to drive on the motorway as well. Took my mates for a spin and they had not seen the back of the car and one of them thought it wasnt even a diesel, he like was no way its well quiet. Diesel engines will take over the marker eventually as road tax on petrol cars is crazy especially big engines, hence i stuck to the 535d which is the same road tax as my IS220d Sport. Overall a great car and it looks amazing too with the 19s. Will post pics soon for you guys to drool over.

I agree with all you say, but.. - I'm hanging fire on diesel though as it looks like the price premium over leaded petrol looks likely to increase further, possibly negating any fuel economy gains.

Having owned the 535d M Sport now for 3 days and comparing it over my IS220d sport its hell a lot quieter and smoother.

Well, with the double price tag and higher class car it doesn't surprise me at all. ;-)

I am not saying that 535d is a bad car!

I just think it is a bad choice - sorry :)

How to explain it simply...the power doesn't surprise me today. I have driven the M5 and I have 143hp motorbike.... so pulling engine is not enough for me... For me, the engine also needs character - revs, instant response, full-deep sound.

535d is not the biggest nonsense - the biggenst nonsense in my eyes is 635d. Only real driver (or car) antitalent would buy this. I really don't understand how can even bmw build such a combination. It is total degression of image and character of bmw - as marque.

The second biggest nonsense is the V10 in Tuareg and V12 in Q7. The third biggest nonsense (with certain chance to get first) is diesel in porsche cayenne.

Don't understand me as an enemy to diesel (I still own one :) ) but - think what you want, but every diesel is still a compromise. I have diesel, because I can not afford better car. It is the best compromise available on the market for me. Have you tried 540i?

Each to their own. The 5 series does feel a hell of alot better to drive then the IS220d Sport. I have not tried the 540i but I know for a fact that it would not return 30mpg around town. I have a 280bhp car which does 0-60 in 6.5 and gives me 30npg. Previous to my Lexus I had a Subaru Impreza Turbo running 335bhp. It was fast and did 0-60 in 5 secs but use to give me 18mpg and it was no where near luxurious and full of toys like the BMW. Once I jumped into the Lexus I thought it cant be too bad, but was crap, sluggish and slow and no fun to drive at all. I use to hate driving it. My cousins 320d M Sport is more fun to drive then the IS220d Sport. So the BMW is great for me, has power which im use to having owned the Subaru and also has all the toys that I want and on top of that returns great mpg, giving me 38-40 on the motorway. Cant really complain and cant see another car doing the same as this. A petrol car will be fast but the mpg no good at all. So again all you guys who are anti diesel don't be. There are some great ones around and the 535d is one of the best in its league.

Each to their own. The 5 series does feel a hell of alot better to drive then the IS220d Sport. I have not tried the 540i but I know for a fact that it would not return 30mpg around town. I have a 280bhp car which does 0-60 in 6.5 and gives me 30npg. Previous to my Lexus I had a Subaru Impreza Turbo running 335bhp. It was fast and did 0-60 in 5 secs but use to give me 18mpg and it was no where near luxurious and full of toys like the BMW. Once I jumped into the Lexus I thought it cant be too bad, but was crap, sluggish and slow and no fun to drive at all. I use to hate driving it. My cousins 320d M Sport is more fun to drive then the IS220d Sport. So the BMW is great for me, has power which im use to having owned the Subaru and also has all the toys that I want and on top of that returns great mpg, giving me 38-40 on the motorway. Cant really complain and cant see another car doing the same as this. A petrol car will be fast but the mpg no good at all. So again all you guys who are anti diesel don't be. There are some great ones around and the 535d is one of the best in its league.

what's great about 38-40 on motorway,the petrol 250 owners on this site get that.and as to the is being crap,you all had the test drive and clearly you had the full knowledge of what the competition had to offer and the huge price difference.i don't understand your angle at all.

Pleased to hear that you're happy with the 5 but can't understand how you can compare it to the IS? Surely the closest comparison to your 535d M Sport is the GS450h. Both cars are around 43k new, similar performance/economy but the GS would arguably give more refinement (And many more toys!). I know which choice I'd make if I had the cash...

The 535d is a superb machine but the interior is pants. Lots of ugly cheap plastic everywhere.

The leather is also very cheap and cracks easily.

Those are the only things that put me off that car.

The diesel isn't the quietest either - the most refined diesel I have driven is the Audi A6.

It doesn't even sound like a diesel.

Apparently the Jaguar XF 2.7 diesel is supposed to be even more refined - I'll find that out for myself on Sunday.

That is very nice, the 5 series M Sport with the 19" wheels is a fantastic looking package, gotta agree with GaryC though, the interiors are awful (actually most BMW interiors now are awful).

Can't believe the price of diesel nowadays though, is it really still cheaper to run? I saw a difference of 10p/litre today between diesel and unleaded.......

TRD - for what it's worth - I'm with you. I have driven that same type of car a few times and cannot recommend it highly enough! As for comparing it to the GS450h - well I've driven both - just look in the boot (!) and what people actually get in terms of MPG driven normally around town and more importantly on a motoray where the all that the motors and battries do is probably give you more torque, but add much more weight unless you coast...End of...

The steering in the 5 series is magical, but the ride is knobbly - especially with those mixed wheels. The interior of the 5 is masses of Black plastic, but just look at the quality...it is put together very well...though the plastic needs to be kept "matt clean" and can scuff.

It's not a bad choice - you're getting negative comments from fanatical people on a Lexus site. They'll gt over it one day :lol:

PS - dgman - you're right - some of us should have tested the IS longer and known better than to listen to a salesman going on about tight engines....I certainly was a fool (and still am many believe)

PPS - Parthiban - you are right - you don't buy a diesel for economy any more - just the torque!

Having owned the 535d M Sport now for 3 days and comparing it over my IS220d sport its hell a lot quieter and smoother. Even the mpg is better. All this nonsense about diesel engines being noisy are old now. For those of you who have not say in a 535d i suggest you do and then talk about it. Dont slack a car until you have driven or been in one. I smoke most cars on the road and at the same time is an amazing town cruiser with great mpg and a dream to drive on the motorway as well. Took my mates for a spin and they had not seen the back of the car and one of them thought it wasnt even a diesel, he like was no way its well quiet. Diesel engines will take over the marker eventually as road tax on petrol cars is crazy especially big engines, hence i stuck to the 535d which is the same road tax as my IS220d Sport. Overall a great car and it looks amazing too with the 19s. Will post pics soon for you guys to drool over.

Diesels have the edge at the moment, but soon hybrid and smaller petrol engines with 2 or so turbos will take over in refinement and mpg. Mercedes are already testing a petrol 1.8 turbo engine which delivers around 300bhp with a broad power range and returns the economy of a standard modern 1.8 petrol engine.

TRD - for what it's worth - I'm with you. I have driven that same type of car a few times and cannot recommend it highly enough! As for comparing it to the GS450h - well I've driven both - just look in the boot (!) and what people actually get in terms of MPG driven normally around town and more importantly on a motoray where the all that the motors and battries do is probably give you more torque, but add much more weight unless you coast...End of...

My main point was the 5 shouldn't be compared to the IS...end of...

You seem to have done a 180 - no one can say a good thing about a lexus these days... Surprised you haven't got rid yourself yet!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links