Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Speed Ratings

adrian71

recently had my wheels aligned at protyre, was told he couldnt get my steering wheel in dead centre as had V rated tyres fitted (always have) and the manufacturer had changed the rating for the IS to a W rating???? i think he was talking b :tsktsk: ks, anyone heard of this before?

I think i can smell bull :tsktsk: i may be right in thinking that the speed rating v,w,y etc only is to do with the recomended speed that the tyre is capable of doing anything ABOVE the recomended speed rating then the tyre will get to hot and would start shreading due to heat generated.......if im wrong i guess that someone will be along to say how wrong i am. :D

absolute rubbish !

the tyre rating will not affect the fact the steering wheel is off centre, thats down to the operators incompetance in carrying out his job, go ask for a refund and go somewhere where they know what they are doing

"V" rated tyres are designed to carry their load no faster than 150 MPH

Tyres marked with a "W" and "Y" are designed to go faster than 150 MPH but no faster then 169 & 186 MPH respectively. The "W" & "Y" ratings usually appear with the ZR rating.

The "ZR" rating without a "W" or "Y" indicates 150 MPH

the IS does not go above 150mph unless you drop it off a cliff,

absolute rubbish !

the tyre rating will not affect the fact the steering wheel is off centre, thats down to the operators incompetance in carrying out his job, go ask for a refund and go somewhere where they know what they are doing

"V" rated tyres are designed to carry their load no faster than 150 MPH

Tyres marked with a "W" and "Y" are designed to go faster than 150 MPH but no faster then 169 & 186 MPH respectively. The "W" & "Y" ratings usually appear with the ZR rating.

The "ZR" rating without a "W" or "Y" indicates 150 MPH

the IS does not go above 150mph unless you drop it off a cliff,

Well cleared up Bazza.....cant believe some of these people how do thet get jobs working with cars and talking bull.!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeh that sound like bollocks.

Though i must say, ive been to protyre a few times and never had any problems myself.

Apart from the prices they charge.

When the alignment is done the car is driven onto a ramp and the front wheels go onto turn plates , the steering wheel is then put at dead straight inside the car ( regardless of wheel position ) the adjusters should then be loosened and the alignment should then be adjusted to the correct settings , when this has been done everything is tightened up and then the car should be roadtested to ensure the steering wheel is straight , if it is the car should be put back on the ramp & plates and rechecked if the settings are still good , if the steering wheel is out the process should be started from scratch .

Take your car back to them and demand the settings be re-done and watch them do it , if they fob you off with B/S demand to see the manager and ask for the head office phone number and their address . Write or phone them telling of their antics and demand a full refund , I've never in my life heard anything so pathetic , the "V" rating on your tyres is an indication of the speed the tyre is capable of coping with .

Name and shame time too !!!!

Regards

Paul.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links