Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

HI all

Forgive me first of all, I don't actually own a Lexus but I thought I would post on here after having a bit of a read through your forums.

I'm in the market to buy a new car and I've been looking at either the Volvo C70, BMW 3-Series, Merc C Class or the Lexus IS250.

I've settled on the Lexus after doing a LOT of research. Checking the JD Power surveys for the last few years, reading lots of reviews, looking at the Euro Ncap results, and so on.

I've been to the dealer and obtained the brochure and price list for the car, and I must say the car looks stunning and comes equipped with more toys than you can shake a stick at.

Now, here we come to the point of my posting.

Firstly, I notice that the Sport version is £1,000 less than the SE-L version although it seemingly comes with all the same kit as the SE-L plus a bit more. What's the deal there?

Also, with regards to the the Cellensia upholstery, is it actually leather as I can't find much on it in the brochure?

I'm either going with the Sport or SE-L automatic with the Multimedia Centre, but I can't decide on what colour paintwork to go for yet. I'm not going to be able to take one out for a test drive until next weekend but if it compares to the older IS200 I drove a while back then I expect a good ride.

Are there any tips or tricks I should look out for, or questions that you Lexus owners would recommend that I ask the dealer please?

Once again, apologies if I'm speaking out of turn here as i'm not actually an owner yet.

Many thanks

HRD

Hi there HRD and welcome to the club. The £1000 difference is made up of the fact that with the SE-L you get leather, wood trim and ventilated seats, rather than just heated seats. I can't seem to see any other difference.

It's all a matter of personal choice. I see now that the Sport is available as an auto which would make the decision even harder for me. I had an SE-L auto and loved it and I think with either car you will be v. happy.

I would check out the prices on Drive the deal, www.drivethedeal.com which at the moment are showing a £3.5k saving on list for a Sport Auto. That should be the starting point for negotiations with your dealer. Get them to chuck one or two services as well. The cars now come with mats and full tank of petrol so no need to bargain for that. When I bought my SE-L i took out a service package for three years servicing including wear and tear items which you might want to ask about as well.

Any more help, please ask away.

The Cellensia is not leather, it's a manmade suede type fabric, similar to Alcantara. I think the only other things the SE-L adds are the wood trim and other little items like the electric rear blind, but then the Sport has 18" alloys and lowered suspension so there are advantages to both. I think I'd go for the SE-L simply for the leather seats and then fit larger alloys, but it depends what's important to you :)

I think you also need to be honest with yourself. Are you likely to trackday it and if not why do you need the firmer suspension of the sport? The IS250 SEL auto has a sport option on the box so you can do changes when you want with the flappy paddles and has more than enough poke for the road that will lose you your licence and get you free accomodation at a secure camp site for a month or two. You get added comfort with the softer suspension of the SEL for those days when you don't want to thrash around everywhere too. I'd go for the SEL every time.

Many thanks for the help.

SE-L it is then I reckon. I think I would prefer the leather to the man-made material. And yes, I doubt if I will ever do a trackday in it as I have another car for that.

With regards to the wheels, I am not overly enamoured with any of the styles on offer so I was considering replacing them in the future anyway.

Thanks all, you have helped me make my choice. Now to decide on a damn colour... :)

hrd

Forget the dark colours unless you're a cleanomaniac...lexus paint is very soft (tho' it looks fantastic when new)and before you know it you'll have a badly swirled car - stick with light metallics only...

German car paint looks more orangepeel when polished but is harder wearing. Same applies to Nissan...for some reason the Lexus paint process is different...

Forget the dark colours unless you're a cleanomaniac...lexus paint is very soft (tho' it looks fantastic when new)and before you know it you'll have a badly swirled car - stick with light metallics only...

German car paint looks more orangepeel when polished but is harder wearing. Same applies to Nissan...for some reason the Lexus paint process is different...

definitely a double edged sword as jamboo says,without a doubt light colours are easier on the eye and more forgiving with the swirl marks.but for the wow factor the dark colours win every time.i would say that most people are struck by the dark colours in the showroom but for some the practicalities of life take over.bmw paint final finish is no where near as good as lexus,the reason behind this i don't know.very careful washing is the key element for appearance with dark colours.

e-e, beemer suffers the same

Just looking at the brochure paint samples, i'm either going with the Velvet Black, the Argento Ice silver or the Brechin Slate grey. I've got a test drive sorted out for next Saturday at the Lexus dealer nearest to me so i'll have a look at the colours in the flesh then. It's good to know about the paint swirls, i'll see if I can find a used dark coloured one and look at the paint. I know it isn't the same but I think i'll trawl the internet in the meantime to find one of each of the three colours so I can put them side-by-side to see which one I like the most.

I need to remember to take a printout of this thread with me so I don't forget the advice written in here. :D

Cheers

HRD

Well I've had2 argento and one velvet black ( so far ). As suggested above if you like to have an easy time washing and shining go for the silver, however if you have the time and the inclination for your car to look stunning then the black is the one - but you must be prepared to spent a lot of time each time you clean and use the right stuff to wash, dry, polish was etc ( microfibre sponge, microbibre cloths etc ).

rgd the colors - dark color suits every limousine better. Also all chrome is clearly visible and the rims. On the other hand, as others say - hard to keep clean and forget carwash.

I wouldn't buy silver or white because then it is quite a must to buy black rims.

Mines Cadoxten slate and I hand wash every time and dry down with a chamois otherwise it looks like some little kids has relieved the contents of his bladder up the side of the car. I wouldn't take mine anywhere near a an auto wash. The wheels I find are the worst. Why do Lexus brakes emit so much brake dust? Washing the car is fine but I find wiping the wheels down with parafin a real bind.

As dgman and philthy said - dark colours are OK, but you will have to avoid all hand washers and car washes. It'll have to be DIY washing (come summer or winter) with the right stuff. Have a look at the Car Cleaning and detailing section on this forum - it is full of hints and tips. Use a silicone blade to remove excess water and use a clean microfibre to dry the car - chamois are OK, but make sur it is very clean and has no grit in it...

If you look at a black car in the showroom or even on the forecourt, it will have been prep'd, so it'll look fine.

You really want to go and take a look at a dark one standing in a Sainsbury's car park...

As dgman and philthy said - dark colours are OK, but you will have to avoid all hand washers and car washes. It'll have to be DIY washing (come summer or winter) with the right stuff. Have a look at the Car Cleaning and Detailing section on this forum - it is full of hints and tips. Use a silicone blade to remove excess water and use a clean Microfibre to dry the car - chamois are OK, but make sur it is very clean and has no grit in it...

If you look at a black car in the showroom or even on the forecourt, it will have been prep'd, so it'll look fine.

You really want to go and take a look at a dark one standing in a Sainsbury's car park...

agree with that plus get the paint sealer on asap.

...The wheels I find are the worst. Why do Lexus brakes emit so much brake dust? Washing the car is fine but I find wiping the wheels down with parafin a real bind.

I agree in full. If I´m not mistaken, are there not brakes that emit less dust for Lexus? I know I have seen them on the net but I can´t remember where. Perhaps someone else...?

/jalfa

...The wheels I find are the worst. Why do Lexus brakes emit so much brake dust? Washing the car is fine but I find wiping the wheels down with parafin a real bind.

I agree in full. If I´m not mistaken, are there not brakes that emit less dust for Lexus? I know I have seen them on the net but I can´t remember where. Perhaps someone else...?

/jalfa

believe thats for the US..they have a TSIB and new type of pads

I must be the only one out on his own.

Meza Red, everytime. All my cars have been red of some description and after seeing one in the car park. Yup red for me :)

Also well done mate on taking the plunge, and not opting for the standard BMW or Merc choice. I am an avid Merc fan and having driven both BMW and Merc, Ferrari too but lets not go there, i was completely taken by the quality of the Lexus, the drive and just how it felt all round.

Bound sure to keep you happy for many a mile :whistling:

Red i tell you, red !!!

I took an SEL250 MM out today for a test drive. Damn, now that's a lovely car.

I've decided on the Argento Ice with black leather as I didn't actually like the black too much. The silver accentuates the lines better whereas the black seems to lose the lines.

Now the dealer can't match the price that Drivethedeal.com can do. I've read lots of positive reviews of DTD but has anyone on here bought a Lexus through them and how was the ordeal?

I'm itching to place the order now. :)

Cheers

HRD

I think you may have to wait for delivery with DTD ........

Pity. it would be handy if I could pick it up from our local Lexus dealer. I spoke to the dealership and the sales guy had heard of drivethedeal but not whether they had received any orders from thejm in the past. I guess i'll phone DTD tomorrow and ask them a few questions before I place my order somewhere.

Thanks for the response.

no dealer would prolly match exactly what DTD offers, but you could use that a haggling tool to bring the price down. speak to GaryC who i believe did the same. the economic climate is hard now, and every dealer will want you to purchase a car from them even if it means reducing their prices/throwin more in the deal as they are still making a profit at the end. if your dealer wont budge go to another one if you are happy doing so.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links