Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Typical Problems - Are There Any More?

Hi all, just like to thank all the members who have helped the needy (us newbie amateurs).

I'm 33 and had the car 3 years (I'll admit it was a hand me down from my dad! :blush: ) But all my other cars have all been bags of nails (rusty ones too!).

its the first car I've owned and want to keep. It didn't cost me a thing until last year when the dreaded front upper control arms went - I found a good guy in Worsley, Manchester (can't find him now - sorry), and he sold and fitted the pair for half what Lexus wanted. Six months later the knocking noise returned and i was mad with him until i found it was the lower ball joints this time. :whistling: which were fairly cheap.

I've got the flickering dash syndrome, but just left it and it hardly works at all now. I've just found Chris Vince and he seems to be the man to do the job - at a fair price.

Yes, i have a p/s leak too (I know i need to fix it b4 alternator packs up)

Just got the orange engine light too - apparently this is the MAF sensor and will let you know the outcome.......

Snapped the aerial in car-wash (own fault for laziness....). I have a mp3, so use the tape deck often and this doesn't have aerial up, but that day i had a cd on and forgot - Never again!

So, apart from the dash, front suspension, power steering seals, air-flow sensors, and not remembering to turn radio off when in a car wash.. are there any more common faults with the '92/'93 (K reg) LS400's?

You see, I'm just paranoid of more any more unforeseeable big bills with todays extortionate fuel bills rising by the week!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

You can get the antenna mast quite cheap on eBay from the USA, you don't need to relace the whole thing.

If you ever see rear axle carrier bushes foe sale, buy them! otherwise you have to replace the whole carrier if they fail.

I got mine from the USA.

Think they are still unavailable here.

Sorry there are a few more, climate control LCD blacks out and antiroll bar bushes wear but not major £££'s to sort.

Thanks all, i forgot the window switches playing up drivers side too - not took panel off yet anyone know if its the motors or switches - they seemed to swap from passenger didnt work, now that does and mine doesnt!! :tsktsk:

By the way how do you get the pics under your names on screen, not just your in your own profile.

They all look nice motors - re-sprays i presume

I have a universal antenna that I dont need anymore (see my other posts :( ) It looks like an easy fix.

Send me an Email on britrb@hotmail.com and I'll get back to you asap.

Have fun mate,

Brian :)

Most of your faults are not the common ones really. They are most to do with how hard you drive and the millage the car has done.

This is my list of common faults which are common faults and not wear and tear ones.

1) LCD heater time display blacks out.

2) Rear traling arm bush falls apart after 10 years.

3) Central locking sometimes dries up(Behind lock) and sticks or mech brakes just behind the handle.

4) Airiel sticks, But should retract while playing a tape or CD(Just give it a revamp).

5) CD player doesn't like the damp in the boot.

6) leak of water into the boot from blockage aroung the hinge area.

7) Standard alloys flake etc.

8) O-ring on power steering leeks.

9) Bottom of cats rusts on the joint and let air to blow out.

10) Pads sensors brake easily if haven't been done for a while(Expensive to replace for what they are £45 plus vat).

And I save the best for last.

The dreaded FUSEBOX LOCATION under steering wall and well up the kick panel area. I'm over 6ft and 19st and getting my head underneath to see the blown fuse is something else to be seen. For those who have yet to change a fuse have a quick go and you'll so now where I'm coming from. Go for one of the red ones on the fourth row(Hehe).

Hi

To put all this into context just have a look at a Mercedes forum, the lists of faulty bits stretches to several pages and the prices are ludicrous...

Soft close door failure..... £800

Air con leak behind dash £2500

Cracking strut mount £600

To name just a few

Most of the failures on the old 400's that are now well into their teens can be fixed pretty cheap with the knoledge gained from others on here...

So Manc, don't worry about the odd thing... to buy a new car will cost you £300 a month in payments and £200 a month in depreciation so just enjoy the Lexus..

Have fun

Pete

Sorry there are a few more, climate control LCD blacks out and antiroll bar bushes wear but not major £££'s to sort.

Thanks all, i forgot the window switches playing up drivers side too - not took panel off yet anyone know if its the motors or switches - they seemed to swap from passenger didnt work, now that does and mine doesnt!! :tsktsk:

By the way how do you get the pics under your names on screen, not just your in your own profile.

"resprays"! No just a high quality Lexus factory paint job and lots of polish

"resprays"! No just a high quality Lexus factory paint job and lots of polish!

BTW to add a photo click on "my controls" then look down the RHS for add/change personal photo,browse your photos and add the one you want.

Hi Pete,

I hear there is a modification to vary the oscillation speed of those fancy front air vents on the LS430! :whistling:

Steve

As a well known anorac for fancy air vents I have to say that they do vary anyway, the speed and angle of oscillation is different whilst the cabin get up or down to temp and then they change speed and width of oscillation to keep the parts other aircons can't reach at the correct temp...

Also another interesting feature of the 430 aircon is the front and rear sun sensors, these measure the intensity of the sun and take this into account when determining direction and temp of incoming air....

How sad is it that I know these things......!!!?!?!?!???!

Pete

Thanks Bazgtr,

yeah I've had or got most of the faults u listed - nearly died when i got told the cats had holes in, but a bodge-job cost nothing with an MOT.

I don't drive it hard really, i did get upset when you thought i was a boy racer, so my excuse is I live in Manchester and the council have got that mental issue with the speed-bumps .....OCD i think its called :lol:

Not bothered with damn cd changer anymore, its had 3 in its lifetime according to receipts, so I'll just stick to my tape adapter Mp3 thing.

Whats this with the rear bushes, never mentioned at my M.O.T's so must be ok for now, don't think they've been done either.... :duh:

I've had upper and lowers done at the front over the past 2 years (bloody speed bumps) - altogether has cost around £800 fitted whats the rears cost? any ideas

yeah i've saw the fuse box too - I'm 5'10 and 11stone and i had problems getting my eyes there - good job they seem to last..........

see you around

Thanks Steve2006.

it still wont show my pic under my name. i did what it says and it can find the pics, and i can put any (size is correct) in my profile, but when i save and look at the posts they never show. maybe others can see them i dont know - modern technology eh!!!!

Like the look of yours, dont usually see them in grey it looks smart.

What alloys are they?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links