Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why Is My Dash Fading!?

Before my car went into the bodyshop I noticed the passenger airbag cover on the dash had started to fade quite noticeably. Has anyone else had this problem and resolved it? I tried to rub in some product to bring back the shine, but it just dulled back afterwards.

I did a quick search and came up with these threads from our brothers across the pond:

http://my.is/forums/f87/does-your-passenge...ch-dash-207063/

http://my.is/forums/f90/passenger-airbag-c...st-dash-154913/

http://my.is/forums/f90/dash-paint-sticky-335566/

Doesn't sound too good, my car's long out of warranty and I really don't want to spend money on another airbag to remedy this? :unsure:

Sounds like the plastic used for the passenger section could be different or thinner - which makes sense for the airbag cover, and as such, is fading through natural UV bleaching.

I'd suggest you invest in a bottle of 303 Aerospace Protectant, and use it regularly to restore the colour as best it can, and to prevent further UV damage from occurring.

That sounds pretty odd, do you have a picture of it on your car? I don't think mine is exactly the same shade as the rest of the dash (will check next time I'm in the car) but it's not to a degree that it bothers me.........

Even so you wouldn't need to replace the whole airbag would you? Can you not just replace the airbag cover?

Sounds like the plastic used for the passenger section could be different or thinner - which makes sense for the airbag cover, and as such, is fading through natural UV bleaching.

I'd suggest you invest in a bottle of 303 Aerospace Protectant, and use it regularly to restore the colour as best it can, and to prevent further UV damage from occurring.

I can vouch for this - my airbag cover was noticeably a different colour - after one application of the wonderful 303 - it's already only noticeable if you stare at it in certain lighting conditions.

that 303 is amazing stuff - my whole dash looks new, and by new I don't mean coloured or shiny or otherwise back-to-blacked - it looks like it's just rolled out of the factory.

go get some - considerably cheaper than new dash/airbag :)

I could tell mine was turning. If you stood back you could see it. Whenever I cleaned it though, it obviously changed the light reflection and it would merge perfectly.

Looks like 303 as PJ and Hando say.

I may get some of that myself as I've not found a good one to clean the 250 dash - always seems to leave a residue, not look like its been done or looks back-to-blacked.

Anyone tried it on a 250 dash?

I haven't got any snaps as yet, still waiting on getting the car back - they've had it 7 weeks now! From what I remember, it kind of looks like someones sprayed some deoderant on that section, hence you get a 'whiteish' effect in that area. I remember showing the bodyshop guy when I dropped it off, he said it was because of the plate behind the cover super heating when it's hot :unsure:

Thanks for the advise chaps, where's the best place to get it?

still waiting on getting the car back - they've had it 7 weeks now!

7 Weeks :ohmy: what you having done?

It's having a bare metal respray with a full TTE/TRD bodykit fitted at the same time. The Aston Martin guys down there are doing a 'trizac' finish to the paintwork (reduced orange peel finish - bit like Mr Singhs work on his car). It's then all being sealed up with Supaguard (yes I know it's not raved about). Hence a local detailer is then going to apply a few layers of Zaino sealant. I'm hoping it looks pretty 'black' :P when it's done and lasts a while too!

Also got loads of small bits to go on aswell: Auto 'sport' pedals (ala Wozzer), new alloys (first on an IS I believe B) ), front parking sensors (ala Niraj), HIDs, Grom kit, updated Sat Nav.

Will have to take some pics for you guys :whistling:

As above, or TPCL - tell Mike I sent you, and ask him if he's finished "evaluating" my towel. It's only been 5 months!! :lol:

lol, I'll tell him PJ didn't know you were a forensics expert :P

FWIW, orange peel is a sprayer's problem, not what buffing compounds you use.

If he lays it on too thick, it sags, resulting in OP.

Trizact is only a range of 3M polishes - they could easily use Menzerna, Farecla, Meguiar's, among numerous others.

Not comprehending the correlation to my comment and forensics.

I know jokes aren't as funny when you have to explain them, but go on. Just this once. :tomato:

Not comprehending the correlation to my comment and forensics.

I know jokes aren't as funny when you have to explain them, but go on. Just this once. :tomato:

Ok :unsure: ... as you said he's been 'evaluating' your cloth for five months, we could say what is he doing with it ----> joke: forensics on it? So I said we can call him a forensics expert.

I suck at explaining jokes :blush:

Lol I was a bit lost on that joke too :shutit:

Car's still not back then? When are you expecting it, I really want to see it! B)

Btw, I was talking rubbish earlier, went and checked my dash and it all looks exactly the same, so whatever it is still hasn't affected my car (touchwood!). Clearly my lack of putting anything at all on the dash except wiping down with a damp cloth is working :ohmy::lol:

Lol I was a bit lost on that joke too :shutit:

Car's still not back then? When are you expecting it, I really want to see it! B)

Btw, I was talking rubbish earlier, went and checked my dash and it all looks exactly the same, so whatever it is still hasn't affected my car (touchwood!). Clearly my lack of putting anything at all on the dash except wiping down with a damp cloth is working :ohmy::lol:

Hopefully next week, but I've heard that a couple of times already lol. I'm pretty sure it will be back by Friday.

Sucks though, I'll be at college for the revision phase of my papers! Probably won't see it for a few weeks!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links