Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus Gs300

Hi there,

I am on the verge of bringing my GS300 to the UK from Auckland. I have had a quote of @ £1,500.

Having owned the car for more than 6 months, and lived outside of the UK for 12, I know I am ok on no import duty, but would like to find out a bit more if possible.....

Just a couple of quick questions:

* Will I need to have the speedo replaced to display mph, not kph for the MOT? (any ideas on how much this may cost too?)

* Are they any other modifications it will require to pass its MOT?

* Any other advice on bringing it over would be really appreciated!!

Thanks everyone.

Cheers

Mark

Whilst you should be ok on the import duty - You may want to check if you are also elligible for VAT Relief - otherwise you could be stung for VAT - which at 17.5% is somewhat larger than the 10% duty rate - and is charged on the value of your car + shipping charges

Will it be a temporary import or are you moving over here for good?

Also - you will not be able to sell the car for 12 months - otherwise I believe Duty then becomes payable.

Hi there,

Thanks for this. It will be a permanent import and I think I am ok on the VAT issue as I am returning from NZ on a permanent basis - you are spot on with the duty issue as long as I do not sell it for 12 months.

Not sure if I need to get the speedo converted from kph to mph or not though, or if there are any other little surprises in store for me......

Thanks again

Mark

i think !

that as its a personal import ie:your own car, it doesnt need any esva etc checks

there is a certain criteria that you need to be ie living abroad etc, but you will probably find that you will be ok

best check though :)

what year/value is the car

is it really worth importing as big cars are getting cheaper over here by the day !

Thanks for the responses :)

It's a 2001 and while the value is not too high, I will be taking a big hit on it in NZ if I sell it there (the pain of fuel prices is everwhere and the kiwis do love their 5.0L Holden Commodores and Ford Falcons! :rolleyes: ), and will lose money as soon as I buy one here so, on balance, as I know the history and mainenance of mine, I think it may just have the edge.

Re the speedo, it has a kph needle counter, will the converter be enough, or do I need to get the acutal counter facia changed too? It is a big job?

Thanks again everyone! :)

Because it's less than 10 years old and a personal import, it will have to go through the Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) inspection.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/v...59?page=2#a1010

Single Vehicle Approval

Your vehicle will have to pass a Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) inspection of its design and construction before it can be registered and licensed. A vehicle that passes will be issued with a Minister's Approval Certificate, which you will need to present to license and register it. (A Department's Approval Certificate issued in Northern Ireland is also valid in Great Britain.) If your vehicle is 3 or more years old it will also have to pass the normal "MoT" roadworthiness test prior to licensing & registration.

Since 1 August 2001 there have been two levels of SVA: standard and enhanced. Standard SVA will be applied in cases where the number of affected vehicles is expected to be low and we can accept that the very demanding safety and environmental standards of type approval will not be undermined. The enhanced inspection (ESVA) will be applied in other cases - i.e. where the number of vehicles entering service warrants a more thorough inspection. Further advice is given in free leaflet SVA4, which can also be seen on the DfT web site.

Enhanced SVA will be required for the majority of non type-approved imports, whether imported by individuals privately or for any commercial reason.

Standard SVA will apply only for the following main categories of imported vehicle

* Any "personally imported" vehicle as defined below

* Any left-hand drive vehicle

At August 2003 the Standard SVA inspection for cars and dual-purpose vehicles costs £150 and for goods vehicles (including bi-purpose vehicles) £60. For ESVA the basic fees are £180 and £90 respectively you might have to pay more for independent tests if you do not have all the required information for your vehicle. Special rates apply for re-tests and other circumstances. Please see leaflet SVA4 for details.

What is a Personal Import?

With effect from 1 February 2001 you are a personal importer only

a. if the vehicle has been imported by a person entering the United Kingdom;

b. that person had, at the time the vehicle was imported, been normally resident in a country other than the United Kingdom for a continuous period of at least 12 months;

c. that person intends to become normally resident in the United Kingdom;

d. the vehicle has been in the possession of that person and used by him in the country where he has been normally resident for a period of at least 6 months before its importation; and

e. the vehicle is intended for his personal or household use in the United Kingdom.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links