Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Currently own an IS220d, which has proven to be unfit for purpose for me. A simple thing like split fold rear seats making all the difference. To get the most back for the IS I would need to trade in with a Lexus dealership. I've had a look at the RX300 before, but got put off when Lexus advised it couldn't take any LPG conversion. Fuel consumption isn't everything, but as the car would be predominantly used in town I'm not willing to empty my bank account on petrol. What do people get mpg wise around town from their 300s on here? My old S80 would give me 22 mpg around town but not much more on a run.

I do a lazy 5 mile commute each way into Manchester in my RX. A lot of stop - start traffic. My orange light had just come on after a full tank having done 225 miles. MPG on the screen is showing 19 mpg.

My MPG has been as low as 16/17 sometimes only getting 180 odd miles from a tank.

On the motorways much better can get the MPG in the high 20's and can get 300 miles from a tank.

Love my RX but it is VERY thirsty. Luckily I don't pay for my fuel.

I understand that RX350 are more economical, or try a 400h?

I commute mostly on A/B roads for 15 miles each way every day and there is 23.9 showing on my display.....the only time it varies considerably is when on a long run it can be up to 28/29 when left on cruise for a length of time (recent trip to Brittany).

I drive it what would be I hope considered normally not like a Sunday school outing, and I do love to enjoy the excellent acceleration from standstill a lot of the time..... ;)

Along the A/B roads on my commute I tend to stick to the limits +/- road conditions, I am quite happy with my RX consumprtion so much so that in fact I looked seriously into an LPG conversion but upon working out ALL the figures came to the conclusion it would take just over 24 months to break even, only then would I gain in fuel costs.....

Best regards David

Really good question.

I had an RX300 (2005) and now have an RX350 (2007).

In the RX300, I used to get around 23 mpg around town and 28 mpg on a 70-80mph motorway run. My around town driving is in West Yorkshire with a mix of roads, many of them hilly. Generally, I always got 250-260 miles on a brimmed tank.

In the RX350, fuel economy seems to be marginally better around town when driven with care yielding 23.9-24.0. On the motorway, it seems to be closer still to the RX300, but overall, I am getting more like 270-290 miles to a brimmed tank. There is also the advantage of having 270 bhp over the RX300's ~200 bhp.

What I will say is, both cars do seem to be sensitive to how they are being driven, though I never got anything worse than 21 mpg or 250 miles on a tank with any of them. I do try to be a gentle driver and plan my drive without having to step between brake and throttle all of the time, but then I am not stuck in bad stop-start peak hour motorway congestion every day.

Also, my experience with Lexus cars is that they tend to improve on fuel efficiency and power once the first 10,000 miles is over. I can only out that down to the engine bedding in more and loosening up.

Thanks for the responses. This afternoon there seems to be more confirmation this government is going to go ahead with the intended hike in VED for large engines meaning the RX is going to be a no no. At least until someone else gets in power and reverses the decision. Shame Lexus don't do a diesel version with the auto box or at least acknowledge the LPG conversions as far as warranty goes. Guess I'll have to keep looking.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the responses. This afternoon there seems to be more confirmation this government is going to go ahead with the intended hike in VED for large engines meaning the RX is going to be a no no. At least until someone else gets in power and reverses the decision. Shame Lexus don't do a diesel version with the auto box or at least acknowledge the LPG conversions as far as warranty goes. Guess I'll have to keep looking.

Thanks again.

The only other option is to purchase a pre march 2001 registered rx mk1, which is on the old style tax aprox £190 for 12 months. With 22 ish mpg's around town and a nice 33 ish mpg's on a run, so long as you don't drive like a hoodlum. Good luck with the search.

Really good question.

I had an RX300 (2005) and now have an RX350 (2007).

In the RX300, I used to get around 23 mpg around town and 28 mpg on a 70-80mph motorway run. My around town driving is in West Yorkshire with a mix of roads, many of them hilly. Generally, I always got 250-260 miles on a brimmed tank.

In the RX350, fuel economy seems to be marginally better around town when driven with care yielding 23.9-24.0. On the motorway, it seems to be closer still to the RX300, but overall, I am getting more like 270-290 miles to a brimmed tank. There is also the advantage of having 270 bhp over the RX300's ~200 bhp.

What I will say is, both cars do seem to be sensitive to how they are being driven, though I never got anything worse than 21 mpg or 250 miles on a tank with any of them. I do try to be a gentle driver and plan my drive without having to step between brake and throttle all of the time, but then I am not stuck in bad stop-start peak hour motorway congestion every day.

Also, my experience with Lexus cars is that they tend to improve on fuel efficiency and power once the first 10,000 miles is over. I can only out that down to the engine bedding in more and loosening up.

Unfortunately Leicester appears to be the centre for roadworks. Just about every route has delays with traffic meaning constant stop starts for town driving. It's a shame as the cargo capacity of the RX would have been ideal for my needs.

Why not try to find a 400h ? Mine genuinely does 35mpg pootling around urban Birmingham and I've even had averages of nearly 40mpg when driving carefully. Slow stop/start driving is particularly rewarding as the engine is off when you are stationary or crawling and only comes on when the Battery is getting flat. Economy does fall dramatically on faster roads and motorways to high 20s but I still average 32 overall. CO2 emissions put it in the 180-200 (j) tax band which for a car of that size and performance is unique…..

The only other option is to purchase a pre march 2001 registered rx mk1, which is on the old style tax aprox £190 for 12 months. With 22 ish mpg's around town and a nice 33 ish mpg's on a run, so long as you don't drive like a hoodlum. Good luck with the search.

Mk1 fuel economy is poor. I don't think I've ever got over 28 on a run and that is keeping it below an indicated 80mph. 22 around town unless it's very small journeys in which case expect 16 to 18.

Mk1 fuel economy is poor. I don't think I've ever got over 28 on a run and that is keeping it below an indicated 80mph. 22 around town unless it's very small journeys in which case expect 16 to 18.

Er thats not poor...just par for the course! Try a RR 4.6 if you want POOR economy from a 4x4....I have collegues who have the latest Discovery TDCi''s and get around the same economy as I do from my much faster...quieter...comfier RX

Best regards David

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my RX300 for 6 mths now, and I drive an 8 mile round trip into the centre of Bristol and back during rush hour, average MPG 14.9 :crybaby:

All these 19, 22, 24 MPG's are possible - but only on A roads. For example a recent holiday on the Isle of Wight produced 25mpg no problem, back into town traffic and you can sit there watching it fall away.

I have a 6 mile round trip to work stuck in traffic most days but the rest of my mileage is a roads and motorways. I tend to average around 23mpg and get about 330 miles to the tank - though I do run the tanks from brimmed to very near empty with a can in the back just in case!

Yesterday I experimented. Did a long trip Preston to Ipswich and back - M6 and A14 - BP super plus unleaded - taking it real easy due to poor weather - averaging around 60mph mainly using cruise control and never going over 75. Averaged 32.6 and would have been over 33 but for 30 minutes stuck in traffic in Ipswich. Very nearly did the 510 mile round trip on the full tank - pulled up at sandbach services about 50 miles from home and put 68 and a bit litres in - so still a good 20 miles left in it.

Shows what CAN be done!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links