Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Revs Rise On Gear Change

Hi .... had the IS200 four weeks now and at first I thought I wasn't doing the gear change right ( it's manual ) .... I noticed revs going up as I declutched. Took it out for a spin today and it was doing it again, thought it's not me. So watched rev counter as I dropped the clutch and foot off the accelerator first ... it definately goes up a few hundred rpm before it drops.

Is this normal?

I've had mine 3 yrs and still can't get used to changing gear properly, I don't think I get the rev rise but the timing does have to be accurate to get a smooth gear change. It doesn't seem to like gear changing at low revs but if you let the revs get over about 3000rpm it is as smooth as silk.

Maybe i'm just a crap driver :blush:

Well Steve, you're not alone.... :alien:

I've noticed this too, but only when the car is cold and the automatic choke is kicking in. :sick:

If I take my foot off the accellerator, and drop the clutch, the revs go up.

No matter how smoothly I change gear, the revs always increase a few 100rpm before dropping.

Goes away, after 10 mins or so of driving. :blink:

Anyone else. :blink:

I've had mine 3 yrs and still can't get used to changing gear properly, I don't think I get the rev rise but the timing does have to be accurate to get a smooth gear change. It doesn't seem to like gear changing at low revs but if you let the revs get over about 3000rpm it is as smooth as silk.

Maybe i'm just a crap driver  

I must be aswell - had mine about 2 months and still can't change gear smoothly every time. Seems to be a bit smoother the higher you let the revs go, but I don't like reving the engine when it is cold, so for about the first 10 minutes of each journey I have to wear a neck brace. :blink:

i thought fuel injected cars didn't have or need a choke  :blink:

Fuel injected cars have a "cold start". It does the same as the choke on a carburettor, ie. temporarily richens the mixture when cold. :P

Gentlemen, I might be barking up the wrong tree here, from all your comments it sounds like you are all suffering from what is known as 'Flares', when you De-cell and disengage the clutch your engine speed increases maybe by a couple of hundred RPM, this is trade-off with 'Tip In/ Tip out' the more the 'Dash pot' is reduced 'Engine cal term' for engine brakeing. the less 'Engine Brake' you have and the better tip in (bump)and tip out (bump), this would be more annoying than the 'flares' as these cause a low frequency oscillations which can cause car sickness for passengers during city driving.

Although I don't own an IS200, Currenlty car is on order (see below) when I had a test drive of a IS200 SE, I didn't notice any flares on the gear change, The only thing I had an issue with was the 'Fly by Wire' throttle, it took a while to get used to, it seemed a little to sensitive to me, that said, try and change your driving style a little. When you accellerate step in a little further and for slightly longer before changing gear, a little difficult with 1st as I found it a little to short. Lexus might have made a better job of the transmission if they had picked a ratio between 1st and 2nd for 1st gear and then only had a 5 speed transmission which may have been better for Drivability but not for marketing. The last thing I will say is, When I finally get my hands on mine and if it suffers from 'Flares' I will be straight back to the dealer complaining

this is trade-off with 'Tip In/ Tip out' the more the 'Dash pot' is reduced 'Engine cal term' for engine brakeing. the less 'Engine Brake' you have and the better tip in (bump)and tip out (bump)

I was right with you until then :blink:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links