Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav

Can anyone reccomend one, its been a while since i bought my tommy T :tomato: 6 years ago, so not sure what the others are like, like the look of the Garmin/Navmans, dont look as bulky as the toms????? :question:

have owned a tomtom, a navman and a garmin...

the tomtom went in the bin... the awful navman was stolen (thank god.... he is now probably lost and dead somewhere) and the garmin has been a dream... its a Nuvi 300.

the main bits...

Simple to use... even on the move :winky:

Full postcode imput that is quick to get to.

Quick connection

Small and portable (fits in coat pocket)

Customisable icons etc.

Some of the others complicate with loads of functions that you just dont need.

if you keep it simple you dont crash...

I have never really understood what the attraction of postcode input is! Surely it is better to be able to input a streetname and house number than a postcode that may cover many addresses?

Postcodes only cover one road/street each and on mine you can put in a postcode and a number.

I find postcode very useful as i travel all over the country with my work and often need to find companys etc and its far easier to enter a postcode than to enter a city and street name.

Postcodes only cover one road/street each and on mine you can put in a postcode and a number.

I find postcode very useful as i travel all over the country with my work and often need to find companys etc and its far easier to enter a postcode than to enter a city and street name.

Fair point.

Why not just update the map on the Tomtom? I'm still using the original GO, but with latest map, latest software, MapShare facility, etc, etc. Apart from missing Bluetooth and a wide screen it behaves exactly the same as the new ones.

Why not just update the map on the Tomtom? I'm still using the original GO, but with latest map, latest software, MapShare facility, etc, etc. Apart from missing Bluetooth and a wide screen it behaves exactly the same as the new ones.

Ive been meaning to do so for quite a while, just never really got round to doing it as i only use very occasionally, still does the job though, used it over the weekend getting around windsor and wycome.

The mrs wants one and dont think she will want to use my old PDA!, so just though id order a new one.......Just ordered the garmin, need to download the speed cams once it comes!

Will be nice to use postcode input, can be a pain putting in the city & street!

Thanks for the comments guys B)

I would previously have said go for the TomTom as I'd read many good reports of them. However, last week, I had to drive a hire car from Dublin to Northern Ireland and they gave me a Garmin Nuvi WideScreen at the car hire desk. So, I had about 30 seconds to unpack it, set it up and get going. I was absolutely bowled over by the Garmin. It was so easy to set up without looking at any instructions. And, in use it was impressive. The only downside was that many of the Republic's newer roads weren't on the Garmin so it looked as though we going 'off piste' quite a bit. BUt that can probably be updated.

Most impressed with the ease of use of the Garmin Nuvi WideScreen and its clear guidance. Would buy one on the strength of using it last week if I was in the market for one.

i have a garmin zumo for the bike and its complete crap.... u cant display " distance to destination" on the main screen - need to swap screens a few times etc etc. i find the tomtom far user friendly, more reliable and u can customise it how u want.

My first sat nav was a TomTom 5.0 on PPC - and was very good, after I had Navman, Garmin 300T and now I have new TomTom 730T and ..... I don't like it. If you need proffesional sat nav - buy Garmin. TomTom have better user interface - more friendly (nice icons etc), but Garmin is more simple - that's why never crash. I think, after my return trip from europe I will have for sale TomTom 730T :)

BTW - I had also Harman Kardon - but I will never call it "sat nav".

I have Road Angel Navigator 7000.

Good features: SPPED CAMERA Locations, Waterproof (handy if your ride), and can take OS maps of ANYWHERE and work with them.

I have used it only once, as I rarely leave the local area - which I know like the back of my hand, including speed camera locations!

I'm so skint, if anyone wants it, check HERE for spec, then make me an offer. £193 direct from then.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links