Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive

you'll have to change your driving style for one....

not so much in the dry but if the roads are damp/wet then roundabouts are easy to mess up....don't floor the throttle until the car is lined up with the exit or you could end up facing backwards...

take it easy for a while and you'll be fine, when you get used to it RWD it's great fun.... :D

I have only had my IS200 a few days so am in the same boat. To try and cut down issues on wet roads I'm looking at some new tyres - Vredestein Ultracs which are meant to the be best around in the wet. Also my car needs tracking/geometry sorting, to make sure the car is as good as it can be in the wet.

One other thing I noticed going from FWD to RWD is that on FWD I'd picked up a bad habit which doesn't work on RWD. On FWD you can use the throttle to straighten the wheels up quicker when you have a lot of lock applied. Obviously you wouldn't do this at speed! But when manouvering or turning into side streets at low speed it can be useful. However, on RWD this DOES NOT WORK!!!! Maybe it's just me that does/did this, being lazy :)

I went from a 1.2 clio to the is200.

When driving normally you wont notice any great difference the steering is a bit lighter to turn due to the slight oversteer but other than that its fine.

When pushing it though you do have to be careful make sure your tyres are good though and you keep the trc on to start with at least and you should be ok.

As said though dont floor it in the wet

One other thing I noticed going from FWD to RWD is that on FWD I'd picked up a bad habit which doesn't work on RWD. On FWD you can use the throttle to straighten the wheels up quicker when you have a lot of lock applied. Obviously you wouldn't do this at speed! But when manouvering or turning into side streets at low speed it can be useful. However, on RWD this DOES NOT WORK!!!! Maybe it's just me that does/did this, being lazy :)

this used to be my party piece in my old 106xsi if stuck in a tight parking spot (some muppet hasnt left you enough room to get out) and instead of doing a 52million point turn id stick on full lock and nail the throttle and let the front turn drift its self out russ swift style.i used to get loads of looks but it always worked :winky:

this used to be my party piece in my old 106xsi if stuck in a tight parking spot (some muppet hasnt left you enough room to get out) and instead of doing a 52million point turn id stick on full lock and nail the throttle and let the front turn drift its self out russ swift style.i used to get loads of looks but it always worked :winky:

lol glad it's not just me :lol:

You are getting an IS200 and you have just been told that it's rear wheel drive car? Did you win that in a lottery? :blink:

my mums getting a new car so she is giving it to me as mine just died!, i only just found out its rear wheel drive because of this forum !!!, cant wait to get my hands on it !

RWD cars do handle differently, they have to be driven in a different manner. Like noel says, you have to be much more careful exiting a bend/roundabout as you could end up facing backwards, or at the very least having a hairy moment.

Remember the old mantra that a car is at its most stable when the speed is constant. Keep a speed throughout a bend and then give it more throttle when everything is back in line.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links