Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is Facelift Pictures And Details In Japanese

Can anyone translate the Japanese text on this page: http://dajapa.tistory.com/333 Unfortunately I've not been able to copy the text so I haven't been able to try pasting it into an online translator.

However, the pictures show the new Lexus IS door mirrors with integrated indicators, changed rear light clusters and various interior modifications including a new steering wheel, gear stick and rear head rest. The date on the page is 28 July 2008

Best regards

Roger

I think some of the things the text mentions are:

1. New bumper with different lower air entrances and modified fog lamps
  2. New 17 and 18 inch wheel designs
  3. New three dimensional rear lamps, not LED
  4. Newly positioned rim wheels for ventilation nozzles (in the middle of the pair of centre vents rather than at their outer edges).
  5. Back of front seats and doors always in black even with light colour interior. Ivory beige replaced by a darker colour.
  6. Changes to the way gears can be selected in sequential auto mode. Maybe like the new Acura TSX or Euro Accord?
  7. Nav OK to use while driving
  8. Prices raised
  9. Measures to reduce transmission noise

I'm wondering if the text mentions anything about changes under the skin, eg improvements to suspension, sound proofing or fuel economy? Does anyone have a Japanese speaking friend who could help out?

Those new light clusters definitely look more upmarket that's for sure :)

I'm not so sure about those, but I'll reserve judgement till I see one in the flesh.

Why on earth have they made the vents at the top of the console black now - it somehow doesn't flow with the rest of the centre console anymore?

Don't like that wood and leather steering wheel either it should either have wood round almost the entire wheel, or nothing at all - I'm not liking just that bit at the top and the bottom..............

Even though I no longer have one, I'm interested to see if Lexus have learnt any lessons...My of observations:

The rear headrests - finally someone has seen the sense. With such a raked high screen rear visibility was at times obstructed with those huge headrests...if you had MM, you didn't worry too much, but the courtesy cars I had with out MM - it was difficult to see anything behind at all, especially if it was dark and raining, or the headrests were even slightly raised. That is good...

The new chrome around the satnav screen/between the buttons - that was the one of those areas where mine creaked really badly in hot weather. Hopfully the shiny stuff also fixes that problem by creating a barrier, maybe a bit of rubber in between too.

Rear lights - not sure. Need to see in the flesh like Parthiban says - might be OK, not ground breaking like the G1 was...missed opportunity???

The indicators on the mirrors - look smart! Nice shape to the lens.

Wooden steering wheels - very Pimp and garish! Personally I can't stand 'em!!

The rear bumper looks shorter...or is it just the pictures??

Subtle but nicely done. The new IS is looking ever more increasingly tempting! Had leaflet about the IS250 SR through the post and had to say no! Well, tell a lie, the Mrs did!

I think the fact that the changes are so subtle shows how right the original design was. Put an IS next to a 3-series, a new A4 and and new C-class and despite it being the oldest it still looks the most modern and eye-catching. I understand that the auburn maple is being dropped and replaced with the grey maple as seen on the GS350 Special Edition - if this is the case then I think the inside will look superb and move it up to a whole new level. I like the indicators in the mirror housing and if I was being picky I'd like to see a slightly different grille - other than that I don't see the need for major metalwork changes.

Hi,

Since I am probably one of very few who can read Japanese on here, this is a quick translation of the article (which is actually in Korean but the scans of the brochure are in Japanese)

New IS debuts in Japan in September

Will be available in three levels: base model, "version S" and "version L" specs for both 250 and 350

New sharper and more elegant front grille

Rear (lights) combination incorporates the "L" motiv

New body colours (x2): Bronze mica matellic and Sea Blue mica metallic for a total of 10 colours

New interior colour

Option of leather upgarde (soft leather) with wood steering wheel inserts on S and L specs

Switches and displays in English as a factory option (obviously not applicable to export cars!)

Movable rear head rests for improved visibility

Two different steering set-ups - a more direct one for S spec and more "comfortable" one for the base and L specs

VDIM standard on all cars

Tweaked auto gearbox which allows paddle shifts even when in D

I think the fact that the changes are so subtle shows how right the original design was. Put an IS next to a 3-series, a new A4 and and new C-class and despite it being the oldest it still looks the most modern and eye-catching. I understand that the auburn maple is being dropped and replaced with the grey maple as seen on the GS350 Special Edition - if this is the case then I think the inside will look superb and move it up to a whole new level. I like the indicators in the mirror housing and if I was being picky I'd like to see a slightly different grille - other than that I don't see the need for major metalwork changes.

You're right - the IS Gen2 was as good looking as you could make a car in a conservative smart and classic way - so those changes are subtle as nothing more was needed. It does (whether we like it or not) have some technical weakness's - e.g. Co2 emissions, diesel economy/lack of auto, bouncy ride and road noise. Compared to the opposition, these are things that will let it down in europe - as we all know all too well, the european journo' fraternite hate seeing japanese makers muscling in - so just a word to the caution.

So lets hope it's not just eyeliner and mascara, and that they have had the surgeons in to do other stuff beneath the exterior too...

Looks like they have thankfully reduced the size of the wing wirrors. They always looked like they had found a spare parts bin from the local bus/lorry/truck company when it came to the wing mirrors.

Hi LHR27R

Many thanks for the translation. Does it say anything about improvements to the suspension, sound proofing, fuel economy or any other technical, under the skin changes?

Best regards

Roger

Hi Roger,

There is no specific mention of changes to fuel economy/noise etc...

But the bit about two steering set-ups does imply that the "L" and "S" specs will have quite different handling and feel. The "S" being more sporty and the "L" (plus base spec) being more comfort-biased. Perhaps there are suspension changes?

Seems like a bigger difference than the current version (Sport vs. non-Sport set-up)

Apart from that, no other clues as to mechanical changes on the "new" IS

I have checked the Japan Lexus official website and no mention of the face-lift on there either

Hi LHR27R

Many thanks for that. I can't remember where but I did read that some suspension improvements and reduction in road noise was a possiblity in this facelift. Maybe like you say that refers to the L comfort version.

The option to allow paddle shifts while in auto could be a useful improvement. It's a feature that's been added in the newly released Honda Accord and because I have the previous model Accord and have test driven the new model, I can vouch for the benefits.

I was about to buy a 2.5SEL automatic until I heard rumours about this facelift. Now I guess I might as well wait for a few months to see the full details on the facelift and an actual car.

Best regards

Roger

Surely something as important as a reduction in Co2 would be mentioned, unless they have a shed load of new old style ones sitting in a pound they want shifting first (especially Europe bound ones - no one here woul buy one now if they knew they could wait for a few months and save money on tax (Company or RFL)).

Anyway good luck guys - hope it make a good car even better. Just one thing to remember - the new facelifted 3 series is only around the corner - and that looks pretty good, specially when you consider that there is a rumour that the 143 bhp 318d manual will sit blow 120 g/km Co2 (currently 123 g/km). I've heard it's also going to have a hard drive built in (up to 80gb) for MP3's etc, possibly with Media pack/in lieue of a CD Changer etc etc., new iDrive destined for the next 7 series etc

I believe the road tax in Japan (and other countries in the Far East) is done on the basis of engine size and not emissions so every car with a 2.5 litre engine will cost the same to tax, regardless of emissions

Perhaps that's why emissions are not mentioned in the Japanese brochure

• 2 weeks later...

For some nice photos of the face lifted car taken in a Japanese Lexus showroom including close up view of the new mirror with integrated indicators check this out: http://my.is/forums/5523080-post2.html or http://my.is/forums/f41/first-photos-2009-...acelift-369512/

Nice link there mate, not so sure I prefer the new one to the old one :unsure:

I like the way the mirrors look a little more sculpted than the original ones, but hate the chrome around the indicator :sick:

Also not too keen on the centre vents being a different colour to the dash below, somehow looks disjointed.........the rear lights do look ok though, although I don't like the way it looks like you can see 6 circles, have they only put 6 LEDs in there? Again, think that still needs to be seen in the flesh to decide for sure.......

I believe the road tax in Japan (and other countries in the Far East) is done on the basis of engine size and not emissions so every car with a 2.5 litre engine will cost the same to tax, regardless of emissions

Perhaps that's why emissions are not mentioned in the Japanese brochure

I thought all Lexus's were actually made for the American market :lol:

Does look much nicer in the flesh!! The wheels are much much better!

I have a new IS 220D ordered and I called into my Lexus Dealer yesterday to find out when it was due. I was told it would arrive in early october. However when i asked if she would be a facelift i was met with an uncomprehending look .Facelift what facelift theres no facelift due. You must be thinking about the GS sir. They are good fun these car dealers if a bit thick.

to try and keep my wife happy I have just came back from the lexus garage today, i test drove the is250se auto as it is group F and the manual is group G for road tax.

I was quite impressed but considering the price I was offered for my is200 there will be a serious amount of haggling to be done.

My next trick up my sleave is to use the face lift for getting a better deal unless anyone has one for sale.

I'm not that well up on the new IS but how can the auto be in a worse tax band than the manual? If that's right then it's a pretty impressive auto box :)

The auto box is very good at picking the higher gears at the earliest opportunities (unless you overide it using the paddles or kickdown). This means that it is more fuel efficient than the manual and ducks under the 225g/km limit for Band F. The manual is over the 225g/km limit and falls into the punitive Band G.

And yes, it is a pretty impressive auto box. :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links