Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Double Sub Box

Hi guys,

I've just finished putting new components in the doors and new 6x9s in the parcel shelf (thanks to the walk through on the forum :winky: ), and am about to start a boot build. I have a double sub box at the moment and want to turn it round so its facing out the ski hatch (which I just took off) with some blue LEDs. What I want to know is, if I modify the front of the box to a squashed 'V' shape, with the 2 subs pointing towards the ski hatch, will this affect the sound quality? A friend at work said it would, but I'm not sure... :duh:

Thanks for any help

Hi guys,

I've just finished putting new components in the doors and new 6x9s in the parcel shelf (thanks to the walk through on the forum :winky: ), and am about to start a boot build. I have a double sub box at the moment and want to turn it round so its facing out the ski hatch (which I just took off) with some blue LEDs. What I want to know is, if I modify the front of the box to a squashed 'V' shape, with the 2 subs pointing towards the ski hatch, will this affect the sound quality? A friend at work said it would, but I'm not sure... :duh:

Thanks for any help

box design is integral to the sound..

your best getting a box properly designed...

OK thanks, think I'll just leave it how it is just now.

Also, whats the best way to wire in an LED strip, so that its on when you turn the car on? Thanks

if i was putting the LED strip in matey, i'd run a feed from the rear side lights so it came on with the lights and wired through an inline fuse holder with a very low amp fuse to protect the setup :)

Is that just the blue wire running from the head unit to the amp? I'm pitting the LEDs just under the ski hatch, so you won't be able to see it with the boot open, so I'd rather have it come on either with the lights or with the stereo.

Thanks for all the help guys

yep.. blue wire..

will only come on then when you have the stereo on..

i would suggest putting a switch after the amp and before the leds so that you can turn off if you want and definatley an inline fuse.. better to be safe than sorry!

Ok, i bought this;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=444

How would i wire this in from the remote wire into a plus and negative to solder to the led strip?

take a feed off the remote wire AFTER it has gone into the amp or splice into it so that your remote to the amp is direct and you have feed to your leds..

take this feed you have created and connect to the fuse holder by cutting the red loop wire on it down the middle, one end goes to this feed the other goes to the +ve feed to y9our leds..

make sure y9ou have a suitable fuse.. too big and it wont do any good, too small and it will blow straight away..

So i don't need the negative feed? (sorry, I don't have a clue about this stuff lol). Also, what size fuse should i use? I put in a 15, but would that be too big? Thanks

the negative feed on the leds goes to a ground source.. can be the chasis where you grounded your amp..

not sure about the fuse size dependas on what they are drawing power wise.. 15 is too big would prob say 1amp at a guess? does the leds not say on there packaging?

If the LED's you are fitting are like the LED strips members have been using for Lightbrows etc,

this is what I (and some other LOC members) have been using for electrical safety.

Maplins

Diode - QL73Q

Fuse holder - PC78K

Fuse quick blow, 500mA - GJ85G

Obviously it is up to you if you want to use any of these components, and only do so if you are competent

@ electrics. The diode is for stopping any feedback currents, and I have been told by an electrical engineer

that is is a good move incase of strip failure (one members set caught fire).

If you don't feel confident about fitting, get someone who is qualified to do it for you mate.

I don't mean to sound patronizing, but I won't be held responsible if you get it wrong etc....

Thanks for all the help guys. Went for the option of wiring it into the remote wire and works a treat. Looks reat at night and in the day time. gonna fit a second strip tomorrow to the top half of the ski hatch, just to give the blue light an even distribution :winky:

Hodaz, the dimentions of your box would be great mate. Best to have the boot install just how you want it, rather than just 'making do'

I love this forum, everyone is just so helpfull!!!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links