Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Farewell To Lexus - Or Good Riddance!

Individuals & their position in the hierarchy are a variable that one has to deal with.

My 2005 250 was from Coventry but Nottingham then Derby dealt with any issues(2 recalls,centre console surround renewal,new O2 sensor) over the 2.75 years.

I was always treated as "one of their Customers" so much so that my New IS was purchased from them!

I have been with Lexus for nearly 8 years & found Coventry superb under Nigel & Ben when I was based @ Coventry but have moved nearer home since I took early retirement.

Kelson,Jamie, Faye & Graham @ Lexus Derby do Deliver the Lexus Promise :what more could you really ask?

Tel :driving:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Individuals & their position in the hierarchy are a variable that one has to deal with.

My 2005 250 was from Coventry but Nottingham then Derby dealt with any issues(2 recalls,centre console surround renewal,new O2 sensor) over the 2.75 years.

I was always treated as "one of their Customers" so much so that my New IS was purchased from them!

I have been with Lexus for nearly 8 years & found Coventry superb under Nigel & Ben when I was based @ Coventry but have moved nearer home since I took early retirement.

Kelson,Jamie, Faye & Graham @ Lexus Derby do Deliver the Lexus Promise :what more could you really ask?

Tel :driving:

I disagree with that Tel. If my local dealership cannot deal with my problems fairly or correctly, then for me the car goes and it's the end of any business relationship between us. It doesn't matter what marque the car is, I would not travel to get my car looked at. I'm not a rep so I don't have the opportunity to drop my car in somewhere whilst I'm at a meeting either.

I'm not saying that all Lexus dealers are bad either. In fact my dealer was probably fantastic for some people. But, they certainly weren't for me and I don't set ridiculously high standards that are impossible to attain. Add in the fact that Lexus GB didn't follow up my feedback, (if they did they haven't informed me), and it's understandable why I was so disenchanted. It really does feel like a huge weight has been lifted from me now that I no longer own a Lexus such was my experience.

An update so far. The S80 is incredibly smooth. Fuel economy is slightly improved when using the geartronic manual option in order to take a higher gear earlier. Average around town has been a consistent high twenties to low thirties. On an A road run the other day I got an average of 44mpg. The tank is a biggy at 18.5 gallons so filling up is costly. One hassle is the rain sensative wipers, which have to be activated each time you start the engine if you want them to work. The stereo has front and rear equalisers giving an incredible sound. The boot has a divider that pulls up from the floor for those occasions when you have small items only that will slide to the back and be difficult to reach normally. I have normal tyres on 17" rims too with a skinny spare so no run flats. So far I am very very pleased.

An update so far. The S80 is incredibly smooth. Fuel economy is slightly improved when using the geartronic manual option in order to take a higher gear earlier. Average around town has been a consistent high twenties to low thirties. On an A road run the other day I got an average of 44mpg. The tank is a biggy at 18.5 gallons so filling up is costly. One hassle is the rain sensative wipers, which have to be activated each time you start the engine if you want them to work. The stereo has front and rear equalisers giving an incredible sound. The boot has a divider that pulls up from the floor for those occasions when you have small items only that will slide to the back and be difficult to reach normally. I have normal tyres on 17" rims too with a skinny spare so no run flats. So far I am very very pleased.

Pretty much the same economy as my new car, though on a run high 40's is consistently a doddle...and manual steptronic mode does imrove town mpg to over 30mpg without too much sweat... if you drive "spritidly" then low 40's on a run and mid 20's around town...

In the 5er, you only get a small number of very weedy and embarassing sounding speakers...though my ears have somehow accustomed to it now...I do miss the rear camera...it's pretty much the only thing I miss now...amazing how quickly you can get used to not having toys...

But why would I want to waste more money by travelling to another county? If I have a warranty issue I want to go and talk face to face with whoever handles my complaint. I'm not driving to Coventry, Derby, Oxford, Birmingham or wherever every week when Lexus fail to deliver. I base my car purchases on proximity of the delearship just in case I have problems that need personal visits. Sytner have convinced me they can't treat customers correctly so will never get my business again. As they are the BMW, Audi and Lexus dealers for the county, those marques won't get my business. SOme friends, (both retired), have just bought a used ISD. They tried Sytner's and found them to be as unaccomodating as I did. In the end they did travel to Lincoln to order their car, but will be having to have servicing and warranty work done locally. There was an issue with the battery holding charge, which Lincoln said would need a new battery. It was arranged for the new one to be supplied and fitted by Sytner as it was a warranty issue. Sytner fobbed them off when they arrived and deprived them of the car for 24hrs in order to charge the battery. An hour after collecting it broke down. Flat battery. They love the car incidently.

Picked the S80 up today and handed over the keys to the ISD. It's like coming home after a nightmare journey. So quiet for a big diesel too, (far quieter than my IS was), and the luxurious comfort is to die for. So far on town journeys the onboard instantaneous is saying 32mpg. With stop starting it does drop drastically to mid to high 20s. On an A road motorway run the estimate is 45mpg. I haven't gone into manual change yet to see how it affects the figures. The kickdown certainly packs a punch. The stereo is fantastic especially with the ipod and with the EQ set up.

At last, a happy philthy.

I didn't know what an S80 looked like so have been on the Volvo website. It just highlights how peoples tastes differ. I think it looks okay, and only okay until you see it from the rear where it looks jelly mould-ish. I think from that view it is one of the ugliest cars around.

I'm not wanting to be derogatory and I'm sure won't take the comments as such, you've got a broad back and like me you probably don't give a monkeys what people think as long as you're happy.

You've really gone on a bit too much about you're IS and upset a FEW people but if they were as happy as they say they are I don't think they would have risen to the bait and responded as if if were a personal insult.

One thing for sure though they are driving a car that certainly looks a lot better than yours, but that's only my opinion which to me is the only one that counts.

But why would I want to waste more money by travelling to another county? If I have a warranty issue I want to go and talk face to face with whoever handles my complaint. I'm not driving to Coventry, Derby, Oxford, Birmingham or wherever every week when Lexus fail to deliver. I base my car purchases on proximity of the delearship just in case I have problems that need personal visits. Sytner have convinced me they can't treat customers correctly so will never get my business again. As they are the BMW, Audi and Lexus dealers for the county, those marques won't get my business. SOme friends, (both retired), have just bought a used ISD. They tried Sytner's and found them to be as unaccomodating as I did. In the end they did travel to Lincoln to order their car, but will be having to have servicing and warranty work done locally. There was an issue with the battery holding charge, which Lincoln said would need a new battery. It was arranged for the new one to be supplied and fitted by Sytner as it was a warranty issue. Sytner fobbed them off when they arrived and deprived them of the car for 24hrs in order to charge the battery. An hour after collecting it broke down. Flat battery. They love the car incidently.

Picked the S80 up today and handed over the keys to the ISD. It's like coming home after a nightmare journey. So quiet for a big diesel too, (far quieter than my IS was), and the luxurious comfort is to die for. So far on town journeys the onboard instantaneous is saying 32mpg. With stop starting it does drop drastically to mid to high 20s. On an A road motorway run the estimate is 45mpg. I haven't gone into manual change yet to see how it affects the figures. The kickdown certainly packs a punch. The stereo is fantastic especially with the ipod and with the EQ set up.

At last, a happy philthy.

I didn't know what an S80 looked like so have been on the Volvo website. It just highlights how peoples tastes differ. I think it looks okay, and only okay until you see it from the rear where it looks jelly mould-ish. I think from that view it is one of the ugliest cars around.

I'm not wanting to be derogatory and I'm sure won't take the comments as such, you've got a broad back and like me you probably don't give a monkeys what people think as long as you're happy.

You've really gone on a bit too much about you're IS and upset a FEW people but if they were as happy as they say they are I don't think they would have risen to the bait and responded as if if were a personal insult.

One thing for sure though they are driving a car that certainly looks a lot better than yours, but that's only my opinion which to me is the only one that counts.

It doesn't worry me in the slightest. I've always said the IS is the best looking compact exec. The S80 is a like it or hate looking car but it's a big luxury exec designed for comfort and space. In the black metallic with chrome trim I think it looks the dogs danglies. Others will think it looks pooh. I also like the look of the 5 series, which again isn't to everyone's tastes. I do draw the line at a Porche Cayenne though. :blink:

I agree that some perhaps wouldn't be so upset if all was rosy with their cars. I know I won't miss the IS220d one iota but others would. I've no problem with that. A car is a tool, but commonly the second largest purchase we are likely to make in our lives. Getting it right is important. I got it wrong when I chose an IS and have paid for it financially. If I made just one person aware of the mistakes I made it's worth it. However, in order to avoid upsetting a certan few, I have opted to call it more or less quits and be happy sitting smug in my car.

So my new 250 Auto-SEL in Charcoal (Slate)/Sussex grey with chrome window surrounds & chrome Hoshis really is the ultimate small exec!

Tel

Lexus IS is a great car as people tend to compare it with higher class cars as S80 or 5er... ;-)

glad I did the right choice

It's compared because of the price Matus, but sadly, at least for me, doesn't come near. Each to their own though.

well, I don't know what exactly are you talking about but S80 with app. same level of IS220d costs 39.100euros vs 29.500euros. And I agree that S80 is better, it would be big surprise if not, when considering 10 grand.

well, I don't know what exactly are you talking about but S80 with app. same level of IS220d costs 39.100euros vs 29.500euros. And I agree that S80 is better, it would be big surprise if not, when considering 10 grand.

I'm not comparing new cars Matus as I'd never buy one. I prefer to let someone else take the taxmans hit. I paid just over £17k for a base model IS220 on a 56 plate in Feb of 2008. I got £12500 for it as a part ex. For the same £17k I could have bought a 07 plate S80 D5 SE RTi. £26k new in Sept 08. Admittedly a huge hit by the tax man in depreciation, but in my eyes a more suitable car for my needs with just as many gadgets and a few more with a superb geartronic box. I've paid £18k now for a 08 S80 to the same spec yet the 08 used IS220s on the local forecourt are down even lower. Maybe it's different on the continent. With the Volvo I feel like the car will last me at least the seven years I would usually hang on to a car. (It'll actually be going in two and half for a XC60 D5.) With the Lexus I never felt that confident, but my view was tainted by the dealer experience.

With the Lexus I never felt that confident....

...Ditto...ultimately if takes your confidence away you walk...

I have a Lexus GS450h and after a poor experience with Vauxhall over the course of a year I switched to Volvo for the first time for our second car.

In April I took delivery of a C30 (2.4 SE Lux Auto Brilliant Blue Calcite Cream Interior) which was one of the last of that engine with autos left in the country - that engine size now being dropped, and my impressions so far:-

Positives

- Great Looking car inside and out it always seems to attract a lot attention, perhaps becouse there are not many on the roads

- Ease of use of controls with impressive dash design

- Smooth sounding engine for a car of this size. Although given that its got a relatively large engine I surpose that should be expexted.

- I had the i-pod connectivity module fitted, and it offers far better functionality than the Lexus system.

Negatives

- Poor ride

- Poor economy and rather sluggish throttle response

- In dry weather a few body and trim creaks

- The quality of the paint finish whilst has a generally good appearance, when looked at in detail doesnt have the quality of the Lexus (not withstanding the problems of non-metallic black that I have on my GS).

To sum up I would say the C30 sits somewhere in the middle between mass production cars such as the Ford Focus (a car on whose platform the C30 is based) and something like a Audi A3. And so if representitive of the brand, whilst I cant speak of the S80 I would say Volvo is a range like for example Honda which doesnt have quite the premium brand quality of BMW Audi Jaguar Lexus etc.

I hope I'm not ruffling any feathers, and perhaps this is a post for a Volvo owners site, as overall I am very pleased with the C30, and this is off course just a personnal view based on six months of Volvo ownership.

I have no doubt the S80 could suit someones requirements better than that of a Lexus, and I thought I would just post this to add a view to phil's experience of Lexus and Volvo.

Regards

Keith

Thanks for the insight on the C30 Keith. I really love the look of that car, especially in pearl white (I never thought I'd say something like that - sounds like a colour for girls!) Sounds a bit like the IS - beautiful body compromised by what's underneath.

I've almost made a decision on the replacement for my 220d. I'm looking at a new Beemer 125i SE Coupe. Really want the growl of the 6 cylinders in a nifty little body. Extras are a bit pricey mind you...

JFB

Thanks for the insight on the C30 Keith. I really love the look of that car, especially in pearl white (I never thought I'd say something like that - sounds like a colour for girls!) Sounds a bit like the IS - beautiful body compromised by what's underneath.

I've almost made a decision on the replacement for my 220d. I'm looking at a new Beemer 125i SE Coupe. Really want the growl of the 6 cylinders in a nifty little body. Extras are a bit pricey mind you...

JFB

I think Volvo are one of those manufacturers who make a range to suit various pockets. The C30 is aimed at the lower budget end, although still nicely built, it is a mass production, (by Volvo standards), car. The S40/V50 similarly so. The S60 is no more, but the new XC60 is aimed squarly at the RX. The S80 is aimed at the 5 series, Audi A6 and compares very well in terms of build quality, trim levels, ride etc but doesn't come near the performance or economy of the 3.0 diesel. The XC90 is aimed at the X5 etc and for me is the better car.

Interesting thread.. I'm just in the process of getting rid of my lexus IS220D and replacing with a 320D or 520D (company car replacement after 3 years). I love the look of the lexus and the Satnav/MM system but thats about it. I dislike the rear/boot space, 1st and 6th gears, poor fuel economy and the A pillar blind spot

Jamboo's posts on the various forums are tempting me with the 520 even though I don't really need a big car but then again it does look impressive with M kit on it and less common than 320.

I dislike the rear/boot space, 1st and 6th gears, poor fuel economy and the A pillar blind spot

Jamboo's posts on the various forums are tempting me with the 520 even though I don't really need a big car but then again it does look impressive with M kit on it and less common than 320.

^_^ first you need to know what do you want ;-)

I dislike the rear/boot space, 1st and 6th gears, poor fuel economy and the A pillar blind spot

^_^ first you need to know what do you want ;-)

To be honest 99% of the time its just me in the car with a set of golf clubs in the boot so i could pretty much get any small car. However i'd like a bit of luxury and some toys (bluetooth/satnav) and on odd occasions I will have a couple of buddy's and their golf clubs so rear space and boot are a bonus though not essential. 5series will cost me (lease/tax) the same as A4/IS/C220 but more than 320 hence i can either save some money and get the 3series (though its common)or spend similar to lexus and get 5series with Mkit (which is the best looking car of the lot)..

I know, at the moment the prices of 5er are very deep as new model is at the door.

Personally I would choose between loaded 520d or new merc C200k - the test drive would decide.

Haf,

I'm sure I've seen you on the beemer forums... :shifty:

Basically the choice is huge...and you are in a good position!! I can fully recommend the 5er, it won't have the kit any Lexus has, and the Satnav hasn't been improved even though they have just put the new quick access buttons around the idrive. The SatNav has better features (expecially the googlemaps and connected drive stuff), but overall the Lexus one was better at actually using roads you would use if you looked at an AtoZ. The BMW nav uses strange combinations though it does work and gets you there...

On the 3 series however, you now have a Satnav/Bluetooth system with a HDD (hard disc drive) and I think USB port, all fully functional through steering controls, with better resolution screen. In fact it so similar to the Audi MMI now, in look, feel and functionality.

the ride on both 3 and 5 LCI is much improved over the earlier versions, even with RF's. The Sport models have a firm suspension, and you can't really tell it's on Runflats any more.

Seriously...the Audi A6 (forget the rubbish new A4) is an awesome car, and had it not been for the fact that I couldn't get a slightly used Mulitronic 2.0TFSI Sline with the DVD I would have bought one in July. They are awesome - the space, comfort of the SLine seats etc!! They wanted to me to wait for the faceliftd one (which is out now)...even they come with the new MMI and HDD etc...the ride is brilliant, the quality of the interior etc is excellent and in many respects and it's an equal to the 5er...(though the interior is marginally better made than a 5er)...

I couldn't wait as the Lexus had to go...so bought the 5er, and I am totally happy wih it!! I wouldn't change it for anything, except maybe an A6 3.0TDI Quattro Sline!!

Other cars? Well the Passatt CC is great, the A5 is awesome if you can live with 2 doors...but you really should look at anything/everything in the lease price bracket...and Volvo! The S80, if you want a bigger car ticks all the boxes!!

It really is a buyers market and any exec car is a bargain (not just BMW)...deals are there for the taking, with most offering up to 15% discount if you are prepared to haggle on cars "on hand". the GS is selling for so little now...as are even the petrol 5er's. You can get a fully spec'd 530i Sport Auto, 2008, or a GS300 SE for less than £30k. That is a bargain!

BTW - it looks like the F10 will not be out for possibly 18 months yet. normally it's 3 years aftr LCI, so 2010 I rckon, and even then it will hit USA first!!

EDIT - forgot to add - I sat in the new V70 the other day (mates hire car) and was totally impressed...what a cracking car...didn't actually drive it, but it seemed well made an smart inside.

I sat in the new V70 the other day (mates hire car) and was totally impressed...what a cracking car...didn't actually drive it, but it seemed well made an smart inside.

Was it D5 with geartronic? Most of the rentals have auto boxes. I'm very pleased with mine and the service contiues to put our local Lexus dealer to shame. The hands free kit in the Lexus wasn't compatible with our upgraded phones, but Sturgess were willing to get it taken out and will fit it to my daughters Punto for free if we want. Couldn't see you know who doing that.

"Recently CAP, the motor industry’s residual values guide, placed the new Lexus IS 220d ahead of the BMW 320d ES and the Mercedes C220 CDI SE. CAP predicts the IS 220d will retain 54 per cent of its value over the three year/60,0000 period. It was a similar story for the petrol engined IS 250 as well."

http://motortorque.askaprice.com/reviews/a...d-road-test.asp

Did the first motorway run in the S80 today. Quite heavy traffic but fairly consistent 75 - 80 mph with stop start once arrived at the village, I got a return of 41mpg both ways. Before I hit the stop start stuff I had an indicated 46mpg. I only achieved that figure on a run in the IS220d if I stuck to 56mph. The IS is better in stop start traffic, but the S80 does weigh a damn sight more. The auto box takes the pain away from all that clutch work too.

Today the advantage of split fold rear seats came into their own. Three rear alloys, one front and a large bike lift that I was able to fit in the back easily and with room to spare. I'd have needed to hire a van if I still had the IS.

MPG in stop start traffic is averaging 26 to 29 mpg.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links