Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Knowledge Needed.....

Hello to All,

As you have probably already guessed we are new to the forum. We are looking to buy a IS200 Sport but have noticed some seem to come with a Styling Kit. Can anyone tell us if this was an optional extra & if so what extra parts should we be looking for when viewing the car ? We have noticed that some come with a slightly different bumper & different alloys but again is this part of the styling pack or an optional extra.

Many Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this subject & apologies if this is a dumb question but we have only recently started looking. :winky:

Sue & Jason

I don't think it's a dumb question at all, I think it's a very good one. As you say there were styling kits available and various optional extras (e.g. skirts/lip spoilers/alloys can be added independently). I'm sure someone who knows the history much better will be able to answer on that.

Regarding a Sport, make sure it really is a Sport if that's what you want, not just an S or SE with added extras. It should have rear tinted windows (factory tint, not film tint add-on), with "Sport" engraved on the rear quarterlights (some obvious things to look for, which wouldn't be easy to "fake"). Also no auto transmission, the Sport was manual-only. I don't know if it's possible to tell from the VIN or other stuff on the plate under the bonnet whether it's a Sport.

Thanks, thats a great help already. Anything else that anyone can add would be greatly appreciated.

With the car market in such a mess at the moment re prices can anyone give us an idea as to what we should be looking to pay for a IS200 Sport years 02 - 04 with average mileage for it's year.

Thanks again :winky:

With the car market in such a mess at the moment re prices can anyone give us an idea as to what we should be looking to pay for a IS200 Sport years 02 - 04 with average mileage for it's year.

I can't answer that directly. Forgive me if you already know this and have factored it in to your calculations, but you know that a car of that year is going to be hit hard by the ridiculous car tax increases soon ? Unfortunately the IS200 is in a very high band and the tax will be £400/year from 2010 on that.

A sport of that age should also have "chrome" pedals and a chrome exhaust trim. I have literally just shredded all my paperwork for my two IS200 spots both 2003. Think boot mini spoiler, 18 inch alloys different front and rear bumpers, usually didn't have headlight washers as the replacement bumper blocked the brackets.

Here we go ( right column near the bottom ) :

http://lexusownersclub.co.uk/articles/UK%2...eet%20IS200.pdf

Hello & thanks to All who have answered this post so far. Yes, we are ware of the Tax Increase....all help/advice is greatly appreciated. We'd rather look at the cars knowing what to look for then go & not have a clue. Realy don't want to buy a shed/wannabe !

Thanks again & keep the knowledge comming,

Sue & Jason :winky: :winky:

No-one's answered the styling pack question yet, and I don't really know the ins and outs of that, but I would suggest that you just use your own personal preference to pick an IS200 that you like. There are various alloys, various styling accessories (e.g. swapping the whole front bumper for the TTE front bumper, or just fitting a TRD lip spoiler and retaining the front bumper), etc, etc.

You might find some cars with factory-fitted styling kits, or extras that were fitted later on. As long as it looks like the parts are still fitting ok, and you like the look of them, I'm not sure that it really matters.

Alloy wheels are another personal thing, e.g. which ones you think look the "best". The alloys are prone to corrosion, and you should be able to see that if you check them out. Some trade sellers might already have refubed the wheels though (the place where I bought mine from had done exactly that).

Good luck and let us know how you get on !

from 2003 onwards lexus made it an option at an extra cost to have prefitted what we know as a styling kit, this comprised of 18" alloys, tte front bumper, tte rear skirt.

when the run on the series one IS200 was due to come to an end this option was also made available to the SE

some cars also had a trd front skirt instead of tte bumper

Welcome to LOC mate. Yep as the others have said, I think the TRD lips were available almost from when the car was introduced but it wasn't an option as such but dealers could get it for you.

The TTE styling kit was introduced around 2001/2002 as an option on IS200 Sports or IS300s (unfortunately not the SE when I bought mine in 02, but it was a very expensive dealer fit option) but then in 2003 to boost sales they started offering it on IS200SEs for around £600 (so you will see a lot more SEs with the styling kit on)

Later on around 2004, they introduced both the TRD and TTE stuff as options and called one the Aero Pack, and the other Aero Pack 2 (can't remember which is which)

Someone else will have to point out what the TRD lips look like if you don't already know but the Styling kit looks like this:

199595788.jpg

199595793.jpg

And these alloys (although obviously not bent!)

312694792.jpg

Good luck with finding the right car!

Hello to All & Thanks for the tips. We are going to look at a sport today..it looks good on paper we're just have to wait & see what it looks like in the flesh ! Wish us Luck :winky:

Good luck ! :D

Bear in mind that there are lots of Sports around, it's not a rare model. So if the one you see isn't quite right, pass on it and check out another !

Hello again to All & a big thanks for all the photo's/advice & knowlegde you have given us :winky:

We went to see the car in the flesh & as so often happens once seen close up the paintwork/interior was in a bit of a sorry state although the engine sounded great.......didn't get that buy it feeling so we walked away ! But on the up side we did get a test drive & liked the engine/sound ! So we will keep looking, as you say there is a few sports around so we are in no hurry to buy untill the right car comes up.

We will keep you posted & will be posting some photo's as soon as the new addition is found :winky:

Sue & Jason

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again to All................well after a lot of searching & seeing the usual so called mint cars plus an SE that according to the seller was now a Sport as he had added the 18 " rims & bumpers !...We have finally found our new addition.

An 03 plate Blue IS200 Sport with the factory kit including 18" rims, 42,000 miles & full Lexus Service History. We pick her up Friday but untill then here is a photo to introduce her to you all :winky:

We will post some better snaps just as soon as we can, Sue & Jason.

post-26139-1225207207.jpg

Guest inicol63

Welcome to the club Sue and Jason.

Car looks good bet you can not wait until Friday..

Nice to see another club member from Essex, where about are you from/

Ian

Ian

Hello Ian, Thanks for all the positive comments...she's having a bit of paint work to a few slight scratches on the front bumper plus all the alloys are being refurbed. There only slightly scuffed but being that the BMW dealership offered we excepted :)

Yes, we can't wait for Friday. Be able to take some decent picts then too.

We are based between Harlow & Waltham Abbey & hope to be able to meet up with some fellow Lexus members soon. I'm sure once we start looking at some of the cars we will get the old Modding bug back again !!! Some of the cars we've seen on this site look stunning - a credit to their owners ;)

Ian

Hello Ian, Thanks for all the positive comments...she's having a bit of paint work to a few slight scratches on the front bumper plus all the alloys are being refurbed. There only slightly scuffed but being that the BMW dealership offered we excepted :)

Yes, we can't wait for Friday. Be able to take some decent picts then too.

We are based between Harlow & Waltham Abbey & hope to be able to meet up with some fellow Lexus members soon. I'm sure once we start looking at some of the cars we will get the old Modding bug back again !!! Some of the cars we've seen on this site look stunning - a credit to their owners ;)

I am in Harlow, so not far from you at all.

Keep an eye on the club meet section there are normally some local ones., just drop me a pm if you want to meet up for a chat.

John

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links