Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hks Turbo Kit

Kavey

Heya

I'm toying with the idea of getting the HKS Turbo kit for my Altezza (can't be having u TTE Supercharged guys biting at my heels :P)

Anyway I'm waiting to confirm what the insurance :arrrggg-matey: hit would be like for something like this, but also wondered if anyone had some advice on anything else I should consider if I'm going to proceed with this.

Upgrading the traction control is going to be pretty essential I think, and better brakes etc are already on the agenda, but anything else I should think about. Boost controls? Sparks? Eliminating Lag? Airflow & scoops? Intercooler? etc etc :unsure:

I've had stock turbo's on previous cars, but not on something I value as much as my Altezza, and I've never modded a car this much before, so just wondering what I should be aware of.... :)

Is the HKS the best option?

Asam

wouldnt really worry aout the brakes.

there the best in there class....they beat even the porsche boxer for stopping power

intercooler yes

the HKS kit is a good kit but i think the Blitz kit is supposed to be better for the Altezza

TRD do one too.

:lol:

That Blitz one sounds the mutt's nutts, but a little beyond what I was thinking.. might just give em a call anyway :phone:

The HKS kit should take me to about 270bhp :hehe:, and the Blitz 348bhp :yahoo:

Something in between might be more the ticket (having said that it's all a dream at the moment!). Any info on the TRD one?

TubornutterKavey :nuke:

Kavey,

How many miles has the car done now? I'd love to do something like this but I think the insurance man might bite.

I did hear that the only reason the 6 speed box from the 200's didn't make it into the IS300 is that it couldn't handle the torque - might be worth checking that out, but I'm sure Matt could find you another gearbox....

Kavey,

How many miles has the car done now? I'd love to do something like this but I think the insurance man might bite.

I did hear that the only reason the 6 speed box from the 200's didn't make it into the IS300 is that it couldn't handle the torque - might be worth checking that out, but I'm sure Matt could find you another gearbox....

Car has just had third birthday and done about 45k miles. The Altezza gearbox is somewhat uprated from the normal IS200 box anyway as far as I'm aware, but saying that, might be time to uprate it a little anyway - I've had the flywheel changed which has helped with power transfer, but you're right, it's something to consider... :)

Anyone else have feedback on this?

By the way. As a lot of you guys here have had SuperChargers put on, what kind of insurance hit :ph34r: have these been? The Supercharger increases the bhp from about 153 to 210 (+57) on the 1GFE, and roughly 210 to 256 :whistling: (+46 or +22% according to TDI) with the HKS Turbo on the 3SGE. Just curious... :unsure:

I've got the GOLD insurance people checking with the underwriters for me anyway...

kavey- I've looked at the same for mine, and it depends on the budget!

With the 11to1 compression you can only run a mild boost without stripping the engine for new pistons etc. Hence the Blitz one is L6,600 for 270bhp, but the TDi is only L1800.

I'm working towards the TDi system, turbo/manifold/lines/ECU etc so I don't have to open the engine up. This will fill in the mid-range under 5000pm, and after that it doesn't need a turbo!! :yahoo:

If Dave Ellen emigrates to New Zealand he will have an extra crate to pack!! :D

The japanese forums at http://relax.on.arena.ne.jp/altezza/ have a lot of reports from people who have fitted turbos to their Altezzas. Use babelfish to convert the Japanese into Engrish.

I did a one day trip from Auckland to Rotorua (230km) and back yesterday. Lots of tight winding back-country roads with no white lines and no cars. Absolutely brilliant fun in one of the best cars I've ever owned. When I'm rich I'm taking it tarmac rallying!! :D

kavey- I've looked at the same for mine, and it depends on the budget!

With the 11to1 compression you can only run a mild boost without stripping the engine for new pistons etc. Hence the Blitz one is L6,600 for 270bhp, but the TDi is only L1800.

I'm working towards the TDi system, turbo/manifold/lines/ECU etc so I don't have to open the engine up. This will fill in the mid-range under 5000pm, and after that it doesn't need a turbo!! :yahoo:

If Dave Ellen emigrates to New Zealand he will have an extra crate to pack!! :D

The japanese forums at http://relax.on.arena.ne.jp/altezza/ have a lot of reports from people who have fitted turbos to their Altezzas. Use babelfish to convert the Japanese into Engrish.

I did a one day trip from Auckland to Rotorua (230km) and back yesterday. Lots of tight winding back-country roads with no white lines and no cars. Absolutely brilliant fun in one of the best cars I've ever owned. When I'm rich I'm taking it tarmac rallying!! :D

Hey thanks for the tip - and that's pretty much what I was thinking - I want to reach the maximum I can without having to go crazy with re-engineering the whole lump!

At the moment I'm still waiting for a quote on the insurance hit before I proceed, but I'm hedging towards the HKS kit to take it to 270ish BHP, which in my book, driving around the UK os fine ;) :whistling::lol:

I'm still interested to here what kind of increase the supercharged guys had/will have on their insuarance - bazza? zee? etc?

Asam

Mines up from 750 to 950.... Every single thing declared, fully comp, 25 years old, full no claims bonus, garaged, decent area etc etc....

Boy that really shows how much I get hammered for my import -

£1300+, 30 yrs, off street parking, 3yr NCD.. but I'm in London too which hacks it up through the postcode lottery... :blink: :duh:

But basically £200 increase, is a modest amount for the extra... thanks for the info.

Anyone else?

• 2 weeks later...
intercooler yes

the HKS kit is a good kit but i think the Blitz kit is supposed to be better for the Altezza

Righty. Going with the HKS kit, as it's modestly priced and doesn't involve a rebuild of the engine to half the value of the car like the £6000+VAT Blitz kit!! :blink: :duh:

The Garrett T25G turbine it comes with should do the trick nicely, without being outrageous, and as a modest turbo upgrade, should be, well, not too bad on fuel consumption :whistling:

Anyway... the HKS kit comes with an F-CON mini. Given that I'm planning an F-CON S, does anyone know the differences? Is there any point in putting the F-CON S in if the mini does the job? :unsure: I don't want redundant parts.

Also, what about an intercooler then? Given the NA compression is 11:1, is an intercooler going to give me too much boost? Should I just stick with it as-is, or consider it as a retro fit after the Turbo? Do HKS do an intercooler for the 3S-GE to go with the Turbo? I've seen they do a Type-S Intercooler on their site, but can't see any application info - I'm guessing they are pretty standard?

What else do I need to think about with the aftermarket turbo lark? :o

I've seen Eric (TRD328)'s car and hehas the same bodykit as me and he's got an intercooler stashed down there under his lip. B) Reckon that bumper needed much hacking? :ph34r:

Greeneyes: How come you don't just order the HKS Turbo Kit from Japan? :unsure:

Asam

An intercooler isnt going to give you "too much boost" at all, in fact its even MORE essential in many ways on a car with such high compression.

The biggest risk that you have on a turbo charged motor is detonation and a hotter inlet charge increase the risk of that happening.

The more boost you run the more this is an issue.

All comes back to good old boyles law:

pv=nrt

My own personal recomendation would be to get the kit with the T25, but to then get cometic to make you up a decent multi layer steel head gastket, this way you can drop the CR down cheaply and easily and run a little more boost.

Chip

An intercooler isnt going to give you "too much boost" at all, in fact its even MORE essential in many ways on a car with such high compression.

The biggest risk that you have on a turbo charged motor is detonation and a hotter inlet charge increase the risk of that happening.

The more boost you run the more this is an issue.

All comes back to good old boyles law:

pv=nrt

My own personal recomendation would be to get the kit with the T25, but to then get cometic to make you up a decent multi layer steel head gastket, this way you can drop the CR down cheaply and easily and run a little more boost.

Chip

Best sort out the pistons and rods first (see pic). Not really built for much horsepower, I'm a bit worried about mine - starting to drag race it so not sure how they will hold up.

DSC00176.sized.jpg

Sadly only one way to find out how much pressure they can take and that tends to be exensive, LOL

As far as the rods go though, a lot of the time rod failures on tuned engines come more from stretching at high revs than from being compressed with lots of power and obviously a turbo is only going to increase power in the middle of the rev range not make you use more revs.

Dodgy ground though with it being an expensive engine to rebuild, but i would have thought that 250bhp was pretty safe.

Piston failure is most often due to temperatures, so providing you throw enough fuel in a the same time to cool the crown, again i dont think it will be an issue for relatively low power outputs like 250bhp or so. (and probably around 300lbft of torque maximum)

Chip

Sadly only one way to find out how much pressure they can take and that tends to be exensive, LOL

As far as the rods go though, a lot of the time rod failures on tuned engines come more from stretching at high revs than from being compressed with lots of power and obviously a turbo is only going to increase power in the middle of the rev range not make you use more revs.

Dodgy ground though with it being an expensive engine to rebuild, but i would have thought that 250bhp was pretty safe.

Piston failure is most often due to temperatures, so providing you throw enough fuel in a the same time to cool the crown, again i dont think it will be an issue for relatively low power outputs like 250bhp or so. (and probably around 300lbft of torque maximum)

Chip

Fuelling is fine on my car, putting out more than 250 though and red line at 6500. Rods and pistons are my next mod before upping boost again and adding nitrous.

You're insurance is how much!!!?

My renewal cam through at £721 for 2 years no claims (granted the car is standard....)

If it helps it's with Highway, through a broker called A Plan

i don't think my postcode helps...

Mines up from 750 to 950.... Every single thing declared, fully comp, 25 years old, full no claims bonus, garaged, decent area etc etc....

Boy that really shows how much I get hammered for my import -

£1300+, 30 yrs, off street parking, 3yr NCD.. but I'm in London too which hacks it up through the postcode lottery... :blink: :duh:

But basically £200 increase, is a modest amount for the extra... thanks for the info.

Anyone else?

£761 Fully Comp £250 Excess Full no claims everything declared - garaged :o

Chip

Fuelling is fine on my car, putting out more than 250 though and red line at 6500. Rods and pistons are my next mod before upping boost again and adding nitrous.

Kieran,

You had yours dyno'd yet mate?

Si

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links