Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Naff Start To The Weekend

Just driving back home this morning, from Rugely and ended up getting a stone hit the windscreen :shutit: :tsktsk:

Its left a nice 5 pence piece sized chip at the top of the screen, just left of the rear view mirror. From close inspection the actual chip on the screen is small, but it looks like the impact has caused the middle skin of the glass to split and it therefore looks like one big chip. Its not come through to the inside or anything - is it something that sounds as if it may be "repairable"?

Or is it, as i suspect, a case of a new windscreen's needed??

If so (and i know i had one changed 2 years ago but my memory is like a sieve) what pointers do i need to look out for when they come to replace it?

Obviously i need to make sure they order in the lower heated screen and connect it back up, but apart from that is there any problems that may arise if i'm not vigilant about it??

cheers

rob

If you've got fully comp insurance which I asume you have then see if Autoglass can repair it they do it for free.

If it's not repairable then make sure it's sealed properly otherwise you'll get wind noise at higher speeds and also you could get water coming through somewhere and not see it and it could damage your electrics.

There is a thread that looks like it should help you here

No idea if it will be repairable or not, but obviously if you get the windscreen guys out then they'll be able to check it out. Normally on comprehensive policies you can get it repaired for free, but will have to pay an excess if it needs replacing. And the sooner you get it repaired (if poss), then the less likely it is to spread and break completely.

just make shure it is sealed properly, leaky ones let water into the footwell fuseboxes.

this might sound daft but how easily can i check this whilstthe guy is still here? i presume the adhesive takes a while to set and so i can't just go chucking water on it can i??

i will speak with the insurance company and autoglass and see what the score is.

yep, i'm fully comp.....

Autoglass say they can repair chips that are no bigger than a 5 pence piece so you may be in luck.

If it is replaced then the work should be guranteed so any problems due to poor fitting should be down to whoever fits it to sort out.

Just driving back home this morning, from Rugely and ended up getting a stone hit the windscreen :shutit: :tsktsk:

Its left a nice 5 pence piece sized chip at the top of the screen, just left of the rear view mirror. From close inspection the actual chip on the screen is small, but it looks like the impact has caused the middle skin of the glass to split and it therefore looks like one big chip. Its not come through to the inside or anything - is it something that sounds as if it may be "repairable"?

If so (and i know i had one changed 2 years ago but my memory is like a sieve) what pointers do i need to look out for when they come to replace it?

Obviously i need to make sure they order in the lower heated screen and connect it back up, but apart from that is there any problems that may arise if i'm not vigilant about it??

cheers

rob

Saw you this morning Rob gave you a flash and a wave but think you were just waking up?? :whistling::lol:

Sorry to hear about your screen mate, but if you do have a new one fitted, remove the interior A panels before they start,(they just pull off) as when they cut the screen out they have a habit of cutting into them making a mess and sometimes cutting through the cloth (The RAC did it to mine :tsktsk: ) And make sure they fit a new seal and push the screen in far enough or like mine the seal will pop out and you'll get a horrible wind noise :angry:

Hope you get it sorted mate :D

cheers

rob

Saw you this morning Rob gave you a flash and a wave but think you were just waking up?? :whistling::lol:

Sorry to hear about your screen mate, but if you do have a new one fitted, remove the interior A panels before they start,(they just pull off) as when they cut the screen out they have a habit of cutting into them making a mess and sometimes cutting through the cloth (The RAC did it to mine :tsktsk: ) And make sure they fit a new seal and push the screen in far enough or like mine the seal will pop out and you'll get a horrible wind noise :angry:

Good advice Chris seem to remember we had this conversation at the meet even compaired your seals against Robs.

cheers

rob

Good advice Chris seem to remember we had this conversation at the meet even compaired your seals against Robs.

Yes we did funny enough :) still got to have mine refitted after the bodge job the RAC did to it :ohmy:

cheers for the heads up guys

@chris, where abouts did u see me mate?? if i was on my way back i was probably in a bad mood after getting the stone chip as that happened just after the ash tree IIRC. sorry i didn't see u mate, was half asleep no doubt, lol!! :whistling:

spoke with autoglass earlier and they say it sounds as if it could be repaired- so their coming out next week to have a look and we'll take it from there. will keep u posted....

cheers for the heads up guys

@chris, where abouts did u see me mate?? if i was on my way back i was probably in a bad mood after getting the stone chip as that happened just after the ash tree IIRC. sorry i didn't see u mate, was half asleep no doubt, lol!! :whistling:

spoke with autoglass earlier and they say it sounds as if it could be repaired- so their coming out next week to have a look and we'll take it from there. will keep u posted....

Saw you as you were coming through town mate just before you go under the bridges and before the Ash Tree :D

Hope they can sort your screen mate as it bugs the hell out of you when you can see the chip sitting there :)

ahhh right o, it hadn't happened then so was probably in a world of my own listening to music, lol!! will keep a sharper eye peeled for you mate - surprised i didn't hear u :whistling:

i can't actually see the chip as its hidden from my line of sight by the rear view mirror, but yea, still annoying!! they are coming tomorrow afternoon so will see how it goes....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links