Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

The Drama Of Me Trying To Buy A Lexus Continues... Category 4

My IS was rear ended when it was 4 weeks old by a transit van. Both rear quarter panels had to be pulled out, new bootlid, new boot floor, new bumper and rear trim. some minor damage to the front. The total bill, including car hire was something like £6k. However, I put the car into the Audi bodyshop where my wife works and they did a fantastic job. You really could never tell it has had an accident. In fact the paintjob is probably better than new.

I took the car to Lexus once it had been repaired and they confirmed that they would have no problem selling it as an approved Lexus - so I was very happy with the work.

It didn't stop me pursuing the other guy's insurance company for diminshed value though and I got a cheque in my hand for £1000.

As i mentioned in the other post Ouch

These Cars should be scraped as YOU dont know

who has done the repair and to what level they have done the repair

its amazing what a bit of filler and a decent paint job can do

but what is lurking underneath

That is if it is panel damage as they say

in the words of the LIVERPOOL FC theme

WALK ON WALK ON

Matt B

• 1 month later...

So, the hunt is over!

I got a great deal on an October 2006 22D SE-L with MM and 30k (that has never been written off!) one owner from new, dark blue with grey interior (which match really well)

Arrived yesterday, and it's in immaculate condition by and large, it's going great, I find no problems with first and second gears, there are no squeaks whatsoever...

BUT... (and I know you'll all be really surprised by this) the fuel economy isn;t great (about 1/2 town and 1/2 open road driving so far) - I'm getting an average of 28mpg.

Now, I have read on here about various recall issues / free if you just ask warranty replacements and so on - things like EGR Valve, 5th injector, ECU etc.

However, I know nothing about cars really, and don't want to be palmed off by a dealer

Can anyone tell me a bit about these things? What is a free warranty fix? What should be done under recall? What are these things and what do they do? Are they likely to help fuel economy if sorted?

How do I approach getting these things done? Just call the dealer and ask? Say my fuel economy is awful and other owners have advised me to get them sorted under warranty?

Also, given the car is over two years old, there is a likelyhood that these things have already been done - how can I find this out?

Finally, is there any likelyhood that getting these things done could make things worse, or will they ALWAYS improve things?

Finally, on a lighter note - how do you clean the leather seats without damaging them - they're in good nick, but slightly grubby on the drivers seat and armrest, and I'd love to get it really clean to match the rest of the seats!

Thanks again for anyone who can help - you've all been great so far, and this forum is one of the reasons I got a lexus, knowing there is a community of people willing to help other owners.

I'll post up some pics for everyone if it ever stops raining over here in Northern Ireland!

So, the hunt is over!

I got a great deal on an October 2006 22D SE-L with MM and 30k (that has never been written off!) one owner from new, dark blue with grey interior (which match really well)

Arrived yesterday, and it's in immaculate condition by and large, it's going great, I find no problems with first and second gears, there are no squeaks whatsoever...

BUT... (and I know you'll all be really surprised by this) the fuel economy isn;t great (about 1/2 town and 1/2 open road driving so far) - I'm getting an average of 28mpg.

Now, I have read on here about various recall issues / free if you just ask warranty replacements and so on - things like EGR Valve, 5th injector, ECU etc.

However, I know nothing about cars really, and don't want to be palmed off by a dealer

Can anyone tell me a bit about these things? What is a free warranty fix? What should be done under recall? What are these things and what do they do? Are they likely to help fuel economy if sorted?

How do I approach getting these things done? Just call the dealer and ask? Say my fuel economy is awful and other owners have advised me to get them sorted under warranty?

Also, given the car is over two years old, there is a likelyhood that these things have already been done - how can I find this out?

Finally, is there any likelyhood that getting these things done could make things worse, or will they ALWAYS improve things?

Finally, on a lighter note - how do you clean the leather seats without damaging them - they're in good nick, but slightly grubby on the drivers seat and armrest, and I'd love to get it really clean to match the rest of the seats!

Thanks again for anyone who can help - you've all been great so far, and this forum is one of the reasons I got a lexus, knowing there is a community of people willing to help other owners.

I'll post up some pics for everyone if it ever stops raining over here in Northern Ireland!

get either some megs leather cleaner, Autoglym or use baby wipes asda ones are fairly cheap and i think the baby wipes are more effective and less tacky in the end up

get either some megs leather cleaner, autoglym or use baby wipes asda ones are fairly cheap and i think the baby wipes are more effective and less tacky in the end up

Good tip! And they don't effect the leather at all either in finish or the colour?

the 5th injector should have been fixed already, but ask the dealer. if the car was first registered on nov 2006, then the warranty will expire on nov 2009, so they should do this fixes/repairs for free.

fuel economy is not strong side of this car, but 28mpg is pretty low. check tire pressures and mention the consumption to the dealer.

the 5th injector should have been fixed already, but ask the dealer. if the car was first registered on nov 2006, then the warranty will expire on nov 2009, so they should do this fixes/repairs for free.

fuel economy is not strong side of this car, but 28mpg is pretty low. check tire pressures and mention the consumption to the dealer.

Cheers!

I know they're not great for economy (though I notice you're getting 42mpg from a 220D! - did you get anything done to get that much?) but in the last few days of town driving (and I'm trying to keep in low revs and go very light with the right foot) it is now down to 22mpg!

Can't be right, can it?

Cheers!

I know they're not great for economy (though I notice you're getting 42mpg from a 220D! - did you get anything done to get that much?) but in the last few days of town driving (and I'm trying to keep in low revs and go very light with the right foot) it is now down to 22mpg!

Can't be right, can it?

Low 30's is not uncommon if you purely do town driving. 22mpg is exaggerated... my advise would be first to calculate fuel consumption yourself (i.e. make a note next time you fill up), because maybe the computer is wrong. If your calculations still come out with those values, then take it to the delear.

I know they're not great for economy (though I notice you're getting 42mpg from a 220D! - did you get anything done to get that much?)

I always have had consumption like this. I have the 5th injector changed, it put the consumption down by app. 0,2l/100km (I don't know to convert it to mpg, but you in Ireland use ltr/100km, don't you?) I do drive only 30% in the city, the rest is motorway or extra urban. If I drive only in the city, the consumption is ~8,3; extra urban is ~5,2 and motorway at 140kph is ~6,8 - my driving style is economical

do what giorgio wrote.

Cheers!

Can't be right, can it?

I'm not sure that keeping low revs all the time is the best options for ecconomy. It may be the best option when maintaining speed on a flat road, but for accelaration and hills, shouldnt the revs be higher. I read that a petrol engine runs most efficiently at about 3000rpm, no idea what it would be for a deisel. I tend to use alot of throtle when pulling away from a standstill, and get up through the gears quite quickly in a short distance, thereby getting the advantage of higher gear for more of the journey.

rapidone,i remember reading an article in auto express some time ago,it referred to accelerating as quickly as possible to get to a cruising speed then throttle back in order to get the best fuel consumption.the theory was tested by auto express ,they found the theory to be correct.i can't remember why but it was only true for petrol engines with fuel injection.it was a university professor who came up with the theory.

as regards fuel consumption of the 220d compared with the tdi 170 vw/audi's,from the forums that i have read the obc exagerates fuel economy by as much as 15% whereas my 220d's obc reads within 0.5 mpg accurate.i do agree that if one is only acheiving 22mpg then it needs to go to the dealer for inspection.

rapidone,i remember reading an article in auto express some time ago,it referred to accelerating as quickly as possible to get to a cruising speed then throttle back in order to get the best fuel consumption.the theory was tested by auto express ,they found the theory to be correct.i can't remember why but it was only true for petrol engines with fuel injection.it was a university professor who came up with the theory.

because petrol engine is more efficient in higher revs when accelerating - when the air-intake flap opens wide.

I do drive between 1.500 and 2.000rpm, unless I need strong acceleration.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links