Top Gear

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

came off better than the sc 430 which they had a go at just after

Don't forget the rest of the range that Clarkson slagged off too, like driving in warm wallpaper paste!!!

I think it was somehow meant as a compliment though, he said it again later and said something about reading a novel, so I think he means they're calming and relaxing to drive :lol:

Don't forget the rest of the range that Clarkson slagged off too, like driving in warm wallpaper paste!!!

I think it was somehow meant as a compliment though, he said it again later and said something about reading a novel, so I think he means they're calming and relaxing to drive :lol:

Not because I have an ISF but I think top gear has gone off slightly, there isnt much detail given about each car any car come to that, and all that cameras do is go in flashes,if you watch next week everything is in 3 second flashes and not on one shot seeing the cars go round the track, maybe Iam getting old and this is the new way of filming, oh by the way I love mine, 14,000 to date.

Not because I have an ISF but I think top gear has gone off slightly, there isnt much detail given about each car any car come to that, and all that cameras do is go in flashes,if you watch next week everything is in 3 second flashes and not on one shot seeing the cars go round the track, maybe Iam getting old and this is the new way of filming, oh by the way I love mine, 14,000 to date.

Do you agree with his negative comments about the car ? (i.e. the ride is way too hard, constantly changing gears...)

JCs reviews are mostly great but sometimes he just hates the new kid on the block. for example the Nissan GTR which has been hailed as a giant killer and he says it himself but somehow he manages to bad mouth it. he is very inconsistant in his views, while he say that the IS-F is too much hard work, in his other reviews he describes the same flaw as a feature that complements the driver by allowing him to do the work. its like he hates japanese cars or even the japanese. also he says that the IS-F is a dorks car because its full of technology, im sorry, isnt the M3 the same? i mean he has mocked the fact that there are seven settings for the gear ferocity on a M3. the IS-F has all the technology but you dont have to fiddle around with the settings a day before your journey to get it just right. like he said the car companies are the experts so they should set it up. when he says that the car has too many gear and they keep changing, it sounds to me like he cant keep right foot still. all i have to say about JC is if its not british or made somewhere near britain than hes not gonna like it.

JCs reviews are mostly great but sometimes he just hates the new kid on the block. for example the Nissan GTR which has been hailed as a giant killer and he says it himself but somehow he manages to bad mouth it. he is very inconsistant in his views, while he say that the IS-F is too much hard work, in his other reviews he describes the same flaw as a feature that complements the driver by allowing him to do the work. its like he hates japanese cars or even the japanese. also he says that the IS-F is a dorks car because its full of technology, im sorry, isnt the M3 the same? i mean he has mocked the fact that there are seven settings for the gear ferocity on a M3. the IS-F has all the technology but you dont have to fiddle around with the settings a day before your journey to get it just right. like he said the car companies are the experts so they should set it up. when he says that the car has too many gear and they keep changing, it sounds to me like he cant keep right foot still. all i have to say about JC is if its not british or made somewhere near britain than hes not gonna like it.

I treat JC as an entertainer first and a car reviewer second. His prejudices complement the first and inhibit objective assessment in the second. What is a pity is that, according to a car salesman I spoke to, is that his opinions carry a lot of weight so a lot of people take his opinions so seriously they affect the second biggest purchase most of us make. What gets very little mention on Top Gear is car reliability. I was shocked to read that a famous car warranty company has rated Porsche to be the most unreliable cars on the road. The Hamster never stops raving about them perhaps because he only plays with them, not live with them.

I treat JC as an entertainer first and a car reviewer second. His prejudices complement the first and inhibit objective assessment in the second. What is a pity is that, according to a car salesman I spoke to, is that his opinions carry a lot of weight so a lot of people take his opinions so seriously they affect the second biggest purchase most of us make. What gets very little mention on Top Gear is car reliability. I was shocked to read that a famous car warranty company has rated Porsche to be the most unreliable cars on the road. The Hamster never stops raving about them perhaps because he only plays with them, not live with them.

Ok the isf does go up and down the box so what, I think that top gear should spend more time looking at the cars instead of entertainment as mentioned before, Ie races from one country to another, hundreds of miles, but they always get there nearly at the same time, well thats television, anyway back to the isf I hadnt seen one only on the net but Paid the deposit and enjoy every minute of it and can assure you when you want to you can, But its a car that I think you are always learning to drive to its potential, as regards the gears ( PUT IT IN MANUAL IF YOU LIKE) overall I would like to see more of the cars than all the other crap sorry for going on.

Do you agree with his negative comments about the car ? (i.e. the ride is way too hard, constantly changing gears...)

The ride is firm, Alot different to my IS250 but it has to be, on the motorway is when it really goes smoothly 70mph seems so slow and you have to watch for the law, when you press the sport button straight away you feel the change even before you touch the pedel, I dont regret one minute of it,but saying that All my lexus cars have been great.

Clarkson's always been consistently anti-Japanese cars, largely on aesthetic/styling grounds. He was very rude about the new GS for just being a German-wannabe.

In some ways he has a point, companies like Toyota do things so rationally and functionally that they don't really understand all this thing about "spirit" and "passion" that is encompassed in brands like Alfa (or rather, they feel passionate and spiritual about quality), comes down to a fundamental difference in national psyche I suppose. That's how you end up with technically incredible cars like the mk1 ls430 with amazing drag coefficient and built like something CNC machined from billet steel that look as ugly as sin (no offence). What's interesting is to try to understand how Lexus has been so successful in the US, where the market completely gets where they're coming from and reviews them very highly, mods the hell out of them, etc. vs. singularly failing to build any kind of image in the European market.

Personally a car is more about function than form so the Lexus approach has always appealed; I've been much happier with a 200sx that never went wrong than I would have been with a 944 whereas the lads on Top Gear think "Nissan" is an instant turn off.

Conversely they love Alfas whereas I test drove a 156 when they'd just come out and the demonstrator had bits of interior trim falling off all over the place after 3000miles and I thought "what a piece of cr4p" and went with the IS200 instead. We recently compared a 530i sport with a LS400 mkIV and the beemer seemed completely flimsy and insubstatial in comparison. Love beemers to drive but IME they can be pretty ropey on reliability, especially the electrics, and the image is still very poor. As for Mercs, don't get me started, can't stand them, horribly aspirational image and totally overrated engineering since about 1985.

So I guess what I'm saying is that what makes Clarkson dislike Lexus but drive a Merc (image vs substance) has the complete opposite effect on me.

Agree Top Gear is more about entertainment than cars, getting a bit formulaic and predictable now though. 5th Gear is a much better motoring programme (even Vroom Vroom is) but not as watchable.

Sorry, bit of a ramble there but I've been pondering all this stuff recently :)

Clarkson's always been consistently anti-Japanese cars, largely on aesthetic/styling grounds. He was very rude about the new GS for just being a German-wannabe.

In some ways he has a point, companies like Toyota do things so rationally and functionally that they don't really understand all this thing about "spirit" and "passion" that is encompassed in brands like Alfa (or rather, they feel passionate and spiritual about quality), comes down to a fundamental difference in national psyche I suppose. That's how you end up with technically incredible cars like the mk1 ls430 with amazing drag coefficient and built like something CNC machined from billet steel that look as ugly as sin (no offence). What's interesting is to try to understand how Lexus has been so successful in the US, where the market completely gets where they're coming from and reviews them very highly, mods the hell out of them, etc. vs. singularly failing to build any kind of image in the European market.

Personally a car is more about function than form so the Lexus approach has always appealed; I've been much happier with a 200sx that never went wrong than I would have been with a 944 whereas the lads on Top Gear think "Nissan" is an instant turn off.

Conversely they love Alfas whereas I test drove a 156 when they'd just come out and the demonstrator had bits of interior trim falling off all over the place after 3000miles and I thought "what a piece of cr4p" and went with the IS200 instead. We recently compared a 530i sport with a LS400 mkIV and the beemer seemed completely flimsy and insubstatial in comparison. Love beemers to drive but IME they can be pretty ropey on reliability, especially the electrics, and the image is still very poor. As for Mercs, don't get me started, can't stand them, horribly aspirational image and totally overrated engineering since about 1985.

So I guess what I'm saying is that what makes Clarkson dislike Lexus but drive a Merc (image vs substance) has the complete opposite effect on me.

Agree Top Gear is more about entertainment than cars, getting a bit formulaic and predictable now though. 5th Gear is a much better motoring programme (even Vroom Vroom is) but not as watchable.

Sorry, bit of a ramble there but I've been pondering all this stuff recently :)

It makes me a bit angry when some people go on about German car reliabilty. An interesting exercise to carry out is to count the proportion of broken down cars you see that are German compared with Japanese. It's quite a revelation. I know it's subjective and that it only represents roadside breakdowns and not faults that are reported at dealers but roadside breakdowns are far more serious for a number of reasons. I have been told that the German problem is poor, but cheaper, electrics from Eastern Europe.

On the subject of JC, he once tested a fabulous Merc AMG which almost gave him a orgasm, but his last line was "and then it broke down".

I think JC failed to put into context that the IS-F is Lexus's first attempt at a sports saloon - compared to BMWs 20 years or more experience with making M3s. Hopefully the F range will only get better.

I agree. Perhaps Lexus should have built something less ambitious, like a supercharged or turbo version of the IS250 to rival the S4 at Circa £35K.

Clarksons views on Jap cars is very sad. You should have seen the mauling the 350Z got from him (no one else agrees though)

The ISF is a great car not a hard ride at all, great exhaust noise and superb engine.

The Gearbox actually only uses the first 7 gears on main roads so is no different to a Merc.

Much more torque than an M3 and far higher spec.

The ISF is more Luxury than sport as you would expect from Lexus...

My only niggles with the car were lack of Sport suspension mode, and the interior being too similar.

Pricing I think is a bit high, and Depreciation could be the real killer...

Paul

I'm not sure what the fuss is about, underneath all the usual theatrics that is a Top Gear test, there was an actual road test going on which highlighted the good and the bad points of the IS-F.

While I still like the car, one of the common points from every review is that it has a rock hard ride. The lap of the track with the stig at the wheel also showed that it rolls like crazy and pitches so hard under braking that I have no idea what the suspension is doing. Therefore it doesn't seem to be comfortable, nor does it have the handling to justify the ride.

I have to try one for myself, but from what I've seen it doesn't look like Lexus have done the best job they could have with the IS-F, and it appears that possibly their decision to use fundamentally the same suspension as the IS250 may not have been the best idea.

JC actually says at one point that the car could do with a proper limited slip diff and not an electronic one - so why hasn't Lexus put one in when even the lowly IS200 Sport with barely enough power to need one had an LSD?

The car is simply not as good as an M3, there's nothing more to say about it - as far as I'm concerned I couldn't care less as I'd still prefer the Lexus, the fact that I still haven't actually seen one on the road makes it the perfect choice. However, if the ride really is as bad as all the reviews seem to suggest, then I won't be interested either. If it's not comfortable, then it isn't luxury over sport, it just means they haven't been able to do anything right.

German reliability is a myth. Sure the interiors are usually nice and the bodywork is solid, but they make stuff more heavy than it needs to be, you get that Germanic feel but it doesn't guarantee it won't go wrong. Japanese cars are built in a much more intelligent way.

I thought Clarksons review of the GTR was a bit off too, he couldn't fault it I think that was the problem. What can you say about a car that wipes the floor with 911 turbo's etc. for 1/2 the price :)

JCs review of the GT-R was nothing but praise from what I remember?

The only negative thing they said was when they did the cool wall, and that's because it's not cool at all..........

I'm not sure what the fuss is about, underneath all the usual theatrics that is a Top Gear test, there was an actual road test going on which highlighted the good and the bad points of the IS-F.

While I still like the car, one of the common points from every review is that it has a rock hard ride. The lap of the track with the stig at the wheel also showed that it rolls like crazy and pitches so hard under braking that I have no idea what the suspension is doing. Therefore it doesn't seem to be comfortable, nor does it have the handling to justify the ride.

I have to try one for myself, but from what I've seen it doesn't look like Lexus have done the best job they could have with the IS-F, and it appears that possibly their decision to use fundamentally the same suspension as the IS250 may not have been the best idea.

JC actually says at one point that the car could do with a proper limited slip diff and not an electronic one - so why hasn't Lexus put one in when even the lowly IS200 Sport with barely enough power to need one had an LSD?

The car is simply not as good as an M3, there's nothing more to say about it - as far as I'm concerned I couldn't care less as I'd still prefer the Lexus, the fact that I still haven't actually seen one on the road makes it the perfect choice. However, if the ride really is as bad as all the reviews seem to suggest, then I won't be interested either. If it's not comfortable, then it isn't luxury over sport, it just means they haven't been able to do anything right.

Ride in one

Ride in one

Perhaps someone will try better shocks e.g Konis or whatever. Could be £500 well spent if it gets the ISF closer to an M3.

Ride in one

Yep it's on my list :winky:

Perhaps someone will try better shocks e.g Konis or whatever. Could be £500 well spent if it gets the ISF closer to an M3.

True, it's possible it won't take a lot of modifying to turn it into an M3 beater.....

Ride in one

True, it's possible it won't take a lot of modifying to turn it into an M3 beater.....

The suspension of the ISF progressively stiffens and alters in Manual, Sport and Traction-control off modes compared with the default auto mode - which is quite firm but still relaxing on reasonable roads. The M3 may cope with tight tracks better; but is so much worse on the highway because it is permanently Mr Angry, and in any case, not many people are going to buy the ISF for a few hours a year track use. Simplifying things, the M3 is maybe better in show-off mode but definitely worse in the real world and relatively slower up to speeds you are allowed to do. The maximum speed is academic, and 168 mph on the ISF is probably aimed via the gearing to realise a better fuel consumption. As far as JC's criticism of 8 gears, I don't think he has learnt to use them correctly yet, and they certainly don't keep changing maniacally as he suggests. Mainly though, the M3 & ISF are just different and there is room for both.

Ride in one

The suspension of the ISF progressively stiffens and alters in Manual, Sport and Traction-control off modes compared with the default auto mode - which is quite firm but still relaxing on reasonable roads. The M3 may cope with tight tracks better; but is so much worse on the highway because it is permanently Mr Angry, and in any case, not many people are going to buy the ISF for a few hours a year track use. Simplifying things, the M3 is maybe better in show-off mode but definitely worse in the real world and relatively slower up to speeds you are allowed to do. The maximum speed is academic, and 168 mph on the ISF is probably aimed via the gearing to realise a better fuel consumption. As far as JC's criticism of 8 gears, I don't think he has learnt to use them correctly yet, and they certainly don't keep changing maniacally as he suggests. Mainly though, the M3 & ISF are just different and there is room for both.

I think that says it all

People dont miss top gear starts this sunday!!! just seen the advert for it

one the episodes they have the isf!

I apologise if it's already been said, but there is a huge difference in torque between the M3 and the ISF. 295 v 371. To me that means in everyday driving the ISF would be a far more relaxing drive than the M3. But if your not interested in relaxing driving and want to drive as fast as possible most of the time, then the M3 is the car because of its superior handling in extremis.

Ride in one

I have test driven the ISF and I can concur, JC just made a hash of things it doesn't change gears as randomly as he suggests.

The ride is firm but that can be altered. We all know the M3 drivers are cocks like JC admits and everyone seems to have one, i'd rather have something more exclusive like the ISF.

• 2 weeks later...
lovely car but i'm afraid if I had that money I would just get a RS4 *don't stone me* :shutit:

Hi Everyone

Joined today and this is my first post!!

I saw the IS-F test on Top Gear a few weeks ago and what can I say? Well first of all I am NOT a dork!!, where he gets off at times is unbelievable, I chatted with the guys down at my local centre (Chester), they said that all Lexus employees just laugh at him in the same manner as they did with Alan Partridge, if the badge is not European and with 100 years of history he does not want to know it!!

The guys tell me the car is awesome and I believe them and is a world appart from the standard IS that I drive.

They apparently all get 4 per year to sell which will keep it rare and exclusive - unlike the car Clarkson compared it to!!

All the Best

Hello all,

Sorry been a few weeks since my last post in this thread so questions asked of me are quite a few posts before this.

Anyway, the suspention. - Yes it can be a bit hard if you drive on bumpy town roads - but I really couldn't care less. It is not as if it is too much - it's just more bumpy than some other luxury cars - but it is a sport suspension.

As for the number plate ( LEX 15F ) i managed to pick it up from just over £1000 all in so happy with that ...and it look excellent on the ISF as you can imagine (and only a tiny weeney bit of spacing to make it more LEX ISF on the back so plod don't get upset. Just need to sell my "L3XS F" (or L3X :SF is the screws are in the right place) plate now

Now, clarkeson - you get on my tits! - it's all been said before but get a grip man - the gears can be used in 3 modes and they do exactly what you want in manual flappies and trip tronic. in full auto they change like any other auto does.

He seemed to forget the radar controlled crash avoidance, radar cruise control, colour rear parking camera e.t.c which when you add all the toys up, make an M3 look like woolies toy section (nearly empty and full of 1990's technology.

Clarkeson - start doind reviews again and tell people about the car - not just how fast they go (fifth gear will help you learn how)

The ISF is fast enough thank you. Would I have an M3 if the ISF didn't exist - NO - never...too many on the road, not exclusive enough. I'd rather have some Aston (even though they are slower than the ISF round TG track (another point missed by mister i love aston clarkeson).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links