Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Add Bling To Your Ls430...

Hi

The rear number plate surround on my LS430 was a slightly darker shade of blue than the rest of the car and I was thinking of spraying it black so I took it off to have a look and low and behold the chrome strip which I thought was a separate piece is in fact the whole thing so it is all chrome plated....

10 mins with some paint stripper and I have extra Bling to the rear end to match nicely with the stainless steel number plate surround I fitted a while back

This is the before pic

Trim5.jpg

And these are the after pics

Trim4.jpg

Trim.jpg

Trim3.jpg

Trim2.jpg

If you want to do yours then...

1. open the boot and remove the boot liner, there are two side bits that cover the lights, these just pull off, they are pretty hard, pull them straight off not sideways. Remove the interior boot light diffuser, it just pulls off, then use a screwdriver on the driver’s side of the light itself and it springs towards the passenger side and will then come out. There are three plastic push fit retainers one in the middle, and one under each side cover, if you pull the liner around them gently they will come out, there are then a line of plastic trim clips along the top of the boot, these just pull out, slide your fingers under the edge of the trim and pull them off gently but firmly, they are well made and you may think they will break but they do come off OK.

2. There are six 10mm nuts holding the panel on, two on the passenger side also hold the key cylinder, there is one more towards the outside of the car as well, then three on the driver’s side, two holding the pushbutton boot switch and one further out. Remove all six nuts, a small socket works best but you can use the 10mm spanner in the tool kit. Remove the lock cylinder and the button and leave them dangling.

3. There is a plastic retainer in the very middle which is hidden by a boot strengthener, you need a pair of long nose pliers to squeeze it top and bottom and pop it out. The trim will then come off.

4. Cover it with paint stripper and leave it for 10mins and then I used an old plastic body filler spreader to scrape the paint off. When it’s all off give it a good wash to get all the stripper off and then gave it a polish.

5. Refit is a reversal of removing. I sprayed under it and around the mounting holes with some waxoil just for good measure.

It took about an hour from start to finish and I think it looks very nice... the later 430 has a slightly different cover but that is all chrome under the paint as well so this will work for any age 430.

Good Luck and have fun

Pete

Excellent Pete.

As you know I have the 1994 LS and there is black trim down the doors where it meets the window ( rear of the front doors and front of the rear doors) and also 2 strips either side of the winscreen.

I have seen the "chrome" strip kits to fit over the door trim but under the black paint there is already chrome.

OK here's the question would the black paint strip off here to reveal the chrome? I would try it but wouldn't want to ruin the things and possibly more but I trust your judgement without question as you have a fridge in the rear of your LS and I haven't ( I did try to fit one once but couldn't get it in the boot) :whistling:

very good tip, but why did they colour code it ? :)

Same reason I did my grill I expect. The next owner will probably take the paint off that and wonder why someone colour coded it :lol: Personal taste.

20032008010ts1.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links