Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential Lexus Owner ,or Bmw

Helllo to all

I have an Audi A3 diesel s tronic at the moment but will be looking to change to a saloon petrol car over the next 2/3 months hopefully, because i

need more space and ,well the petrol bits obvious, i want an automatic and have been looking at the IS250SE/IS250SPORT/Bmw320d.There are some

good prices on the IS250SE which in the current climate will keep coming down, however there are not a lot of sport models to be had why is that ?.I do

about 12000 miles annually now i used to do more,so is the Sports ride a lot harsher than the SE as i would like a softer ride than the Audi,the Lexus is

a good looking car, certainly compared to the Bmw which looks in my opinion bland but is otherwise a good car.

Many thanks for any advice.

I think the IS250 Sport only became available as an auto in 2007 which is why there aren't as many around. I don't think the ride will be a whole lot stiffer, the suspension is only a little lower (15mm I think) and it's on 18" alloys but it's by no means an MSport suspension type set up.

Best to take a long test drive in both and decide, but between the SE and the Sport, the extra spec would always lean me towards the Sport. The SE-L on the other hand is a completely different matter........

From a ride perspective, the IS has a firm bouncy ride. Not as jittery as the pre LCI 3 series was (the non facelift) with those runflats, but just as hard....Sport suspension or not. It's the only way manufacturers can get a car wih a reasonably short wheelbase to handle well...I haven't yet driven an LCI 3 series, so can't say how much better it is, though they did tweak the suspension - widened the rear track etc...

The bottom line is that the BMW is a different car to the Lexus. It looks bland, comes with less kit, but drives better and there are good reasons why there so many on the roads...

Coming from an A3, you might be a little disappointed at the space inside the IS. The Beemer is slightly bigger inside, has marginally better visibility and a bigger boot. It'll be kinder on the wallet at them pumps and at VED time too.

The IS isn't that much bigger in the back than an A3 IIRC...and the rear can feel claustrophobic to kids due to the waist line...especially if you have the sombre black interior...

Ultimately you have to try them both and see which one takes your fancy. The Lexus has fantasitic looks and kit for the money, and if it's a private purchase it is seriously good value...just make sure you have the all important multimedia pack. It is awesome...

If on the other hand you want something that drives really well, then a nearly new 3 series with some options on it might make more sense...try the 320i Petrol Auto and compare it to the IS250 Auto...4cyl v 6 cyl and see which one you like...a 325i will leave the is250 standing...and a 320d will seem too expensive...

PS - there are loads of Sport models probably because they represent the best Value spec and so were over produced - it's almost an SEL without the cooled leather (which is not that important really...). and it means that you should be able to bargain....

The Lexus and the BMW are both good cars, but for my money I would never have a BMW turbo diesel older than 3 years and outside the manufacturer's warranty. The turbos are notorious for going wrong and BMW are not the most accommodating when it comes to goodwill- one leasing company I know had 13 out of 14 320ds break down leaving their drivers stranded over a 2 year period.

The Lexus and the BMW are both good cars, but for my money I would never have a BMW turbo diesel older than 3 years and outside the manufacturer's warranty. The turbos are notorious for going wrong and BMW are not the most accommodating when it comes to goodwill- one leasing company I know had 13 out of 14 320ds break down leaving their drivers stranded over a 2 year period.

Which is true...the 3 series appears to be prone to premature turbo failure...which is why I wouldn't buy the 320d or any model with those swirl flaps (mine doesn't have them)...petrol Beemers are fine...

Please note,however,the IS 250 is now 3 years into production so any launch issues have been resolved & the 250 Auto is significantly better than the 220d in

its' driving ability which is creamy smooth(Jezza off Top Gear is also a fan).Furthermore,the later cars benefit from progressive modifications with subtly different spring-rates etc. to further refine the driving pleasure.I have chromed 18" Hoshis on my new car & really thought the tyre pressures were low when I first drove the car & was both surprised & delighted when I found said pressures were spot-on for high-speed driving.Finally,compared with the German Marques you "save" £000's on spec & get a top J.D. Power performer too

:driving: .

What more could you want?

Tel

i wouldnt read too much into the top jd power performer bit,

some people believe that lexus is the be all and end all when it comes to cars, they will be loyal customers who have driven a lexus for the last 8 years plus and would never have a bad word to say, i was one of them also.

my first lexus was the is 200 which i have to say was excellent, my latest is a 18 month old 220d which in my opinion should never have been launched.

i would suggest looking at a more un-biased survey before the jd power one.

Simon,

Exactly my point:Lexus petrol cars are the Tops,the diesel,however,dilutes the experience & really makes the car a different vehicle coupled with the rather agricultural gear-change!

As for J.D. actual ownership speaks volumes & sells cars & that is why Lexus out-sell BM et-al in the fickle US:what more can I say?

Tel

Simon,

Exactly my point:Lexus petrol cars are the Tops,the diesel,however,dilutes the experience & really makes the car a different vehicle coupled with the rather agricultural gear-change!

As for J.D. actual ownership speaks volumes & sells cars & that is why Lexus out-sell BM et-al in the fickle US:what more can I say?

Tel

Can't argue with that, though I'm sure some will try.

Simon,

Tel

it'sstrange that you have singled out the manual gear box on the 220 when the manual on the 250 is no more refined,actually i found that the bite point on the 250 clutch was so high that i was getting aching shins after just one hours drive.

Thanks for your replies, i agree that the IS250 is great value for money compared to a 3 series,do they all have run flat tires i hear these are a problem,are

there any 250 Sport owners who can comment on the ride quality ?,interesting to hear the issues with the IS22OD a lad at work has one he seems happy with it

though he did mention a drop in MPG.I think the Lexus is something a little bit different, i do not see many which appeals to me, is their a new IS due out soon

with the current one being 3 years old ?,as for the Bmw i am not sure the superior driving experience, if it is, will be enough to get me past the negatives,i will

have to drive them and see.

Thanks

Mack it dependeds on what you want, the BMW (just changed the wifes) is a fantastic handling, driving car but the M sport we had with 18" wheels and run flats did have a relatively harsh ride, the SE's on 17"s are better but dont look so good.

Only BMW/Mini seem to have converted to run flats, Toyota/Lexus dont use them probably because of the trade off with refinement.

We had a 325d Msport manual and honestly the engine just wipes the floor with either the 250 auto and 220d, performance was outstanding and got 43mpg around town and 49mpg on a run, give one a try on a long test against the 250 auto and see what you think.

P.S. I have a 220d and as with your colleage the mpg dropped the other week, also lost performance so is currently in, read the EGR replaced post where I will advise on the outcome.

tash thanks for the feedback,i want an automatic with a smooth ride above all else, it will be a private purchase, i do accept the Bmw has impressive figures

but so has the Lexus,how much is servicing on a 3series ?

Should have no probem finding a 320i, 325i, 320d, 325d or 330d as an auto.

Servicing cant be anymore than Lexus!! in fact I am a bit annoyed how much it is, the Lexus needs servicing every 10K where as the BMW has variable servicing which can go upto and beyond 20K, ours had 9K on and still showed 13K to service. I got a quote for my 20K service on the Lexus and have had two quotes from alternative dealers, 1st was £350, 2nd dealer was £410, so going to an independant who will do it for £160

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links