Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Updated 2008/09 Sat Nav Dvd

can confirm that park assist tel was on about is available on all cars with mm and rear view camera(not sure if sensors are needed). tried it today, and when reversing, u just have to select the different option on the bottom right of the screen. this changes the mode.

Yes, touching the screen alters the mode, I found it a bit confusing and was concentrating on it so much I nearly stacked it (joke). Does the voice thing work?

hi there, can it be confirmed there is a new park assist system?

i have contacted lexus about this update, as is it just me, but i paid a few quid for my sat nav system, like the rest of you, and i find it hard to swallow that they want the best part of 130 hard earned pounds to get this updated dvd.

i dont care about new roads, all i want is the system update, they updated my ecu free of charge why not the sat nav firmware!

here is a copy of the email from lexus :

Mr R Denney Our ref ********

19 January 2009

Dear Mr Denney

Thank you for your further email dated 13 January 2009 regarding your Lexus IS 220 SE-L.

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the error in referring to your vehicle as an IS 200.

Secondly, I am sorry that you are unhappy at having to purchase satellite navigation updates and that you consider that they should be provided free of charge, I have noted your comments and feedback. I can also advise that the software upgrade does not provide functionality improvements to the park assist system or any other systems. The satellite navigation touch screen operation whilst driving feature is now available via the satellite navigation software update.

Furthermore, I can advise that the ECU upgrade you have referred to was provided as part of a Customer Satisfaction Campaign as set by the vehicle manufacturer, Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) and not simply because there was an improvement to the cars working systems.

In closing, I m conscious this reply does not engender goodwill and regret that we are unable to meet with your expectations in this instance.

Yours sincerely

Sam Ragan

Lexus (GB) Limited

don't quite understand there coment about the ecu update, surely it was an improvement to the system? and so is the sat nav, the said it was to do with a Customer Satisfaction Campaign, well if thats the case most of us have complained about the lack of functioning on the move, from the sat nav, so in that case, a firmware upgrade should fall under the term"Customer Satisfaction Campaign"!!!!!!!!!!!

right i've got off my soap box now,

thanks

I think it would be good to find out if the new DVD updates the firmware as we think, and if we can then put back our old sat nav DVD and continue to be able to enter destinations while in motion. This would mean that for all of us that don't care about the new maps, we could just borrow the DVD and update the system (which as mentioned above SHOULD be free of charge!)

well thats one person who agree's with me, cheers giorgoXXI.

i will call lexus tomorrow when i get home from work, why can't we only have a firmware disc?

i'm sure most of you have had firmware upgrades on other products you have brought, eg you ipod, computer hardware?

i know i have and NO other company has asked me for a penny, even if it has added extra functions!

I got in touch with my dealer as soon as I knew there was an updated sat nav DVD coming out. I was contacted on Friday and had it fitted - I am not good with screw drivers etc. (Not sure the chap was over impressed when he opened the boot to access the tool kit that is in there, apparantly, and found half a ton of golf clubs!!) I was charged £114 inv VAT, which is a discounted price.

I am sure roads that I have never heard of and will never use have been updated, but for me the biggest improvement is the ability to use the thing whilst driving. As far as I can tell the postcode search is still not as good as a Tom Tom, i.e. it is only partial, and you still have to agree not to break the law when starting up.

The only other thing is not being able to telephone out to a number unless it is a speed dial. Has anyone else updated and have other improvements to mention?

Only been an owner for three months or so but love the car - and this forum.

Hi, There is a hardwired mod that will allow all functions to work while driving and it is quite simple to do.

It requires a wire to be cut and grounded. It is a wire from the SATNAV to the parking brake switch. You can test if this will work on your car by applying the park brake slightly until the warning alarm of the parkbrake comes on then try the satnav, if it now works then the mod will sort out the problem. This mod was posted on this forum some time back, maybe someone has seen it or has a copy, it explains the procedure fully and is quite simple to do.

I no longer use my SATNav in my IS250sel as I find it useless for my needs and use a Garmin stuck to my dash instead, Much better, can be used anytime, cheaper for maps, better info and most of all you can download trafic speed camera locations a very important requirement in a CAR and my bigest reason for purchasing a car with a satnav system. Much to my disapointment I found the expensive built in option on mt Lexus IS250SEL only good as a potable map that can only be used when parked. Why did Lexus not conect the system to the passenger seat switch instead of the park brake. Then if a passenger is present in the car the system will work when on the move, but not when the driver is alone, makes more sense to me.

I Love my Lexus, but am not impressed with their company attitude of; We are perfect, we are GOD, we have made the perfect car, You are only the customer so live with it!!!!!

After all the complaints about this coming from most if not all owners and nothing being done makes me wonder what their sales managers are doing, If I was a manufacturer I would be reading all the blogs to improve my product and see what needs to be done to get sales in this very troubled economic climate.

All the irritating problems of this car can be resolved by the dealer in a few minuts.

All these small issues make a possibly GREAT car just a good car, and in these times good is just not good enough!!!!

Hope you come right, I will try to find the full drawings and details for the mod.

well just a quick update,

had a few emails and phone calls from lexus, and all i can say is "sorted" :winky:

I am glad I started this thread (is that what it is called?)

Are you saying that they updated the firmware and that purchasing the "update" was effectively a mask for the complaints they have received about the previous lack of "on the go" functionality.

I was delighted by the service I received at Lexus Croydon but if they have had me over I'd like to know.

Cheers.

well just a quick update,

had a few emails and phone calls from lexus, and all i can say is "sorted" :winky:

What do you mean by "sorted"? Can you tell us what deal did you get (or send me a private message with the details please) ?

I think it would be good to find out if the new DVD updates the firmware as we think, and if we can then put back our old sat nav DVD and continue to be able to enter destinations while in motion. This would mean that for all of us that don't care about the new maps, we could just borrow the DVD and update the system (which as mentioned above SHOULD be free of charge!)

This is a very good point! Also can anybody confirm if there are any changes to the Audio system with this update. It would be great to be able to change folders etc on the move! This question has been asked on the last page but not answered. Thx..

In my car (Prius) which uses a very similar system, I can now set the SatNav while the car is in motion, but I can NOT view folders on MP3 discs (just the same as before the update). When the new SatNav disc was inserted it took a couple of minutes to 'load new software' which would be the firmware updating.

If I get around to it, I will put my old disc back in the system and see if I can still use the SatNav while in motion. If this is the case, all you need for the extra features is to borrow a disc for a few minutes. (my disc came in a set of 4 DVDs covering the whole of Europe - the other 3, which I don't currently use, would probably have the firmware on them also, so I wouldn't mind lending them to people if they want to try them).

Cheers

Phil

In my car (Prius) which uses a very similar system, I can now set the SatNav while the car is in motion, but I can NOT view folders on MP3 discs (just the same as before the update). When the new SatNav disc was inserted it took a couple of minutes to 'load new software' which would be the firmware updating.

If I get around to it, I will put my old disc back in the system and see if I can still use the SatNav while in motion. If this is the case, all you need for the extra features is to borrow a disc for a few minutes. (my disc came in a set of 4 DVDs covering the whole of Europe - the other 3, which I don't currently use, would probably have the firmware on them also, so I wouldn't mind lending them to people if they want to try them).

Cheers

Phil

Phil, that is very kind of you but all I would like to know is what happens when the old disc is put back in. I thank you in advance for your efforts.

Okay, I've checked this out on my Prius which, has already mentioned, has the same SatNav/Audio/Reversing Camera/Bluetooth system as the IS range (just without Mark Levinson or DVD Playback).

My original Navigation disc:

86271-53031 2006-2007 Ver.2

The latest Navigation disc:

86807-0W062 (4 DVD Set) 2008-2009 Ver.1

(part number: PZ485-X03EU-08)

The very first time I inserted one of the new DVDs, the screen displayed something like "System Loading, Please Wait". After a couple of minutes, the system rebooted and I had the latest software and map data. The new software allows me to program the SatNav system while the vehicle is in motion. It does NOT allow me to click on the 'folder list' button in the audio screen when playing DVDs, and I can NOT access my full telephone phonebook either - just the 3 speed-dial screens.

The GOOD NEWS: When I put my original 2006-2007 DVD back in the machine, I still get the benefit of the new system software, so you could upgrade your system with a borrowed DVD and then still use your original disc.

NOTE: for any of you that are a little naughty - the software update (on my car at least) stops the DVD drive from reading DVD-Rs, so any home-made backups or dodgy copies bought off eBay will no longer work. I've always made back-up copies of my Navigation DVDs after a friend of mine mysteriously had his swapped for an older version at some point - a long story which he never got to the bottom of. Doesn't bother me as I've always bought the latest versions of DVDs each November/December and sold the old ones on to fund the purchase.

The DVDs I have are the same versions that are used by my mum's 2006 SC430 and my dad's 2007 RX400h so the IS250/220d probably use the same discs too, although you will need to check.

Hope that helps you out - any other questions feel free to ask. Happy to help.

Cheers

Phil

Okay, I've checked this out on my Prius which, has already mentioned, has the same SatNav/Audio/Reversing Camera/Bluetooth system as the IS range (just without Mark Levinson or DVD Playback).

The very first time I inserted one of the new DVDs, the screen displayed something like "System Loading, Please Wait". After a couple of minutes, the system rebooted and I had the latest software and map data. The new software allows me to program the SatNav system while the vehicle is in motion. It does NOT allow me to click on the 'folder list' button in the audio screen when playing DVDs, and I can NOT access my full telephone phonebook either - just the 3 speed-dial screens.

The GOOD NEWS: When I put my original 2006-2007 DVD back in the machine, I still get the benefit of the new system software, so you could upgrade your system with a borrowed DVD and then still use your original disc.

NOTE: for any of you that are a little naughty - the software update (on my car at least) stops the DVD drive from reading DVD-Rs, so any home-made backups or dodgy copies bought off eBay will no longer work. I've always made back-up copies of my Navigation DVDs after a friend of mine mysteriously had his swapped for an older version at some point - a long story which he never got to the bottom of. Doesn't bother me as I've always bought the latest versions of DVDs each November/December and sold the old ones on to fund the purchase.

The DVDs I have are the same versions that are used by my mum's 2006 SC430 and my dad's 2007 RX400h so the IS250/220d probably use the same discs too, although you will need to check.

Cheers

Phil

Phil you the man!!

That info has just given us all the power to request a free firmware update from the Lexus dealerships. I think it is criminal for them to expect people to pay £140 to upgrade to the new discs for the mapping when all we need is the firmware update to solve a very annoying problem. Pitty the audio locks where not also removed. I will try the friendly approach with my saleman first.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to offer this info..... :winky:

The dodgy DVD-R and the chinese style VCD is the only formats i have!... being from Hong Kong, owning REAL DVDs is a new concept! lol

....Thats a dilema and a half.... Changing software and maps.. or put in the Tom's DVD hack modules

on one hand, i do hate trying to find non existant roads .. but on the other hand... i would like the option of dodgy DVD's .....

Poooo!!!!

Cheers

Phil

Thanks for the info! Appreciate your efforts...

Just a couple of questions, when you say the DVD driver won't read DVD-R, do you mean the Sat Nav dvd drive or the MM DVD changer?

Another question, how sure are you that it won't read DVD-R's anymore? Have you tried burning them with a different program or different style (e.g. set the bookmark etc.)? I heard if you create an image and burn it using Imgburn it used to work....

Just a couple of questions, when you say the DVD driver won't read DVD-R, do you mean the Sat Nav dvd drive or the MM DVD changer?

Another question, how sure are you that it won't read DVD-R's anymore? Have you tried burning them with a different program or different style (e.g. set the bookmark etc.)? I heard if you create an image and burn it using Imgburn it used to work....

The DVD drive for the SatNav system won't read DVD-Rs - I don't have the MM system that plays DVD-Videos.

A back-up copy of my original DVD that used to work perfectly now does not work at all. I just get a message (quite quickly) saying that the system is unable to read the disc.

Hope that helps,

Phil

• 7 months later...

Thats what i thought, but when looked at my DVD it had A marked on it, but the whole of the Europe maps was shaded in. On the new discs that ive seen, they have 2008-2009 Europe West marked on the disc and only west Europe shaded in. So i was wondering if the newer versions are on more then one DVD?

Is it not just 1 disc? That's all that came with the older cars, and thought it was the same for the newer ones too..........

I have the Toyota DVD update set Numbered PZ485-X03EU-08 that I bought for installation in an IS 250 SEL - MM.

The set consists of four DVDs marked Europe West (which includes the UK); Europe Central; Europe North; Europe East - together with an instruction manual in English and nine other languages. Each disc has a different code number, but all are marked 2008 - 2009 Ver 1.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

• 9 months later...
Is it not just 1 disc? That's all that came with the older cars, and thought it was the same for the newer ones too..........

I have the Toyota DVD update set Numbered PZ485-X03EU-08 that I bought for installation in an IS 250 SEL - MM.

The set consists of four DVDs marked Europe West (which includes the UK); Europe Central; Europe North; Europe East - together with an instruction manual in English and nine other languages. Each disc has a different code number, but all are marked 2008 - 2009 Ver 1.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

I have only recently joined the Lexus Owners Forum.

The latest set (2010) of 4 DVDs has part number PZ485-X03EU-09.

Apparently the set code is 86807-0W063.

Can anyone please tell me what the code is for the Europe-West DVD disc as I don't intend going out of the UK?

Is it possible to purchase the Europe-West DVD disc separately?

thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links