Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Steering All Over The Place

-It merges both left and right when on a straight...to keep the car straight the steering wheel is slightly to the right

-When i brake from 40mph the steering will merge sharply right (mostly worried about this)

-when on the motorway steering feels really arkward when overtaking and switching lanes its like i dnt have enough control

-its been alligned twice and been tolded its the brushes?

anyone else with the same problem or got some advice?

-It merges both left and right when on a straight...to keep the car straight the steering wheel is slightly to the right

-When i brake from 40mph the steering will merge sharply right (mostly worried about this)

-when on the motorway steering feels really arkward when overtaking and switching lanes its like i dnt have enough control

Have you had the steering rack and brake callipers replaced as per recalls?

How old is the car?

Tracking being set when the steering wheel isn't straight would probably be the cause of it not being dead centre?

Has it just had a simple tracking wheel alignment or a full geometry done?

Like Bumflake (:D) says there are a couple of cars here that have just had some work done by Lexus on the steering - not sure what exactly it was for yet though.

How many miles has it done? Think you'll find they said 'bushes', not 'brushes'. How far away from WIM are you?

Hi,

I havent had any warranty work done on calipers though front discs (under warranty) and pads was replaced back in October 08.

Its done just over 33000 miles, owned since new sept 2006.

I live in Peterborough though travel to Leicester everday.. where is WIM located?

In the past I have had only the simple tracking done on the front two not by lexus but by a reputable company in my area.

Is this a known issue? something the warranty can cover?

Its make me feel sick when the steering like this!

I had exactly the same problem on my is250 se MM, it took almost 2 years of convincing to different lexus garages to sort the flippin problem, the car had numerous geometry checks and always came back fine. You would get a vague felling on the road and extra tramlining on normal roads, no confidence to overtake and a sway feeling when driving above 70 - like its a windy day. However last fortnight ago I had lexus Reading look at it and the car was taken on a 40 mile test drive up and down the m4, they were then convinced that there was a problem and the steering rack has now been replaced (£3000 charge to Lexus).

Keep persisting and stating it is not safe and they will have to rectifiy the problem, before the steering rack was changed it was a really poor drive. Now it seems like normal, responsive and confident.

• 3 weeks later...

I had exactly the same problem on my is250 se MM, it took almost 2 years of convincing to different lexus garages to sort the flippin problem, the car had numerous geometry checks and always came back fine. You would get a vague felling on the road and extra tramlining on normal roads, no confidence to overtake and a sway feeling when driving above 70 - like its a windy day. However last fortnight ago I had lexus Reading look at it and the car was taken on a 40 mile test drive up and down the m4, they were then convinced that there was a problem and the steering rack has now been replaced (£3000 charge to Lexus).

Keep persisting and stating it is not safe and they will have to rectifiy the problem, before the steering rack was changed it was a really poor drive. Now it seems like normal, responsive and confident.

this sounds exactly like my problem.

lexus leicester said it was the tyre pressures, however even after this i still feel the same problem.

anything around 60-70.. and you can really feel the steering being arkward however around town around 30-40 everything is fine.

did you feel as if the car was working against you when over taking?

Who told you it was the bushes, and which bushes? As the car is still under warranty, if it is bushes why have they not been replaced under warranty by your Lexus dealer? If you have worn bushes it is pointless to keep getting alignment/tracking done until the bushes are replaced.

Who told you it was the bushes, and which bushes? As the car is still under warranty, if it is bushes why have they not been replaced under warranty by your Lexus dealer? If you have worn bushes it is pointless to keep getting alignment/tracking done until the bushes are replaced.

Well explained the problem to lexus leicester and they reported nothing was wrong with steering, it was my tyre pressures (however even after changing this the problem still exists)..but it differently doesnt feel right.

As im not a technical minded person, I was unsure what it may be, thus went to a local garage to have it tracked however when I explained to them whats going on they advised me it sounds like the bushes and its something i need to get lexus to look at.

I now no its nothing to do with alignment as this problem is completely different.

I had a similar driving experience and it was totally down to unpaired tyres ... after fitting two new F1's to the front the steering wheel wasn't centre anymore and braking from speed was scary and made me think the ball joints were fecked ....

Anyway since fitting two new paired tyres all these issues are gone and the cars a joy to drive again ... :)

If you haven't fitted new tyres recently then maybe one of them has been damaged by a pothole or kerb?

just my experience :)

My car is going in Thursday for the Steering recall problem

but all i was told was it is a link bar that can cause the steering to go stiff when on full lock

But me thinks that is not true

i wonder if they will replace the entire steering rack, as they want the car for

the day, told me its a minimum of 4hrs seems a bit long just for a link bar ............

as i mentioned in another post if my steering wheel is not ***** on when i drive it,

i will be going back untill it is, one thing that gets me wound up is a steering wheel not centered,

Matt

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links