Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lazy Engine

BigWilly

Firstly, im a newbie so Sorry if this has been repeated. If it has, send me a link to the other one and I will ingonore this one !

My IS200 has a lazy 2.0l V6, I have a budget of £600, How do i make it faster?

I'm relativley techy but limited tools and space, what would you recommend - Chip ? Induction kit ? Exhaust ? Nos ;)?

Thanks guys - BigWilly

Firstly, im a newbie so Sorry if this has been repeated. If it has, send me a link to the other one and I will ingonore this one !

My IS200 has a lazy 2.0l V6, I have a budget of £600, How do i make it faster?

I'm relativley techy but limited tools and space, what would you recommend - Chip ? Induction kit ? Exhaust ? Nos ;)?

Thanks guys - BigWilly

for starters its not a v6!!

for that budget i wouldnt think you will make a massive difference..

exhaust, plugs, induction but dont expect too much!!

Hi mate,

Welcome to the club :D

Your IS200 is a straight 6, not a V6 (I think??)

You won't really get a substantial improvement in performance without getting a bolt-on supercharger, but they are very expensive if you can get hold of them.

If you have £600 to spend I would probably get an exhaust and an induction kit which will help a bit and depending on when it was last done, give it a damn good service!

I'd say clear of NOS since as far as I know only Adrian Flux will insure a car wtih Nos.

Welcome to the site fella - what exactly do you mean by lazy?

The engine doesn't come alive in these until about 4250 rpm anyway so to keep it on the boil you need to keep the revs up.

Welcome to the site fella - what exactly do you mean by lazy?

The engine doesn't come alive in these until about 4250 rpm anyway so to keep it on the boil you need to keep the revs up.

Ok, so anyone know any good companys or links to get decent exhaust and induction kits? How much extra is a supercharger kit? And what's the difference between a straight six and v6 ?

After having some experience with superchargers upgrade I had to change the clutch aswell ? Will this car need that ?

Thanks again

If it's performance you want stick to the factory airbox and just drop in a K&N filter. The inductions kits are too badly affected by heatsoak.

As for exhausts, the best ones are all discontinued now so only available second hand. MAybe try a Blueflame system, there's one for sale on this site.

For a supercharger kit you're looking at around the 2k mark second hand, rare they come up nowadays.

The standard clutch should be fine, unless it's approaching the end of it's life anyway in which case it will just accellerate it's death. I ran the stock for 20k with a charger and used a Blueprint for about 10k and no issues.

Ok, so anyone know any good companys or links to get decent exhaust and induction kits? How much extra is a supercharger kit? And what's the difference between a straight six and v6 ?

After having some experience with superchargers upgrade I had to change the clutch aswell ? Will this car need that ?

Thanks again

Prolex-uk supply the best induction kit IMO as it avoids the exhaust manifold and therefore gets colder air to the engine. But i just run a K&N panel filter as was recommended to you above. I have a blueflame exhaust and it makes a really nice noise with a small performance increase. Others on here like the HKS silent hipower but its v expensive.

You will only need a new clutch after an SC upgrade once you've gone through the original. The original clutch will be fine initially (on TTE setup at least), you'll just go through it quicker.

I'm not entirely sure what the difference between V & I 6 engines are except the physical cylinder layout. Hopefully someone can educate us both :)

Ed

that is the difference between the two.

v6 is in a V shape three on each side,

straight six is just that, all cylinders in a straight line.

and for induction kits, Aztecbandit has just created his own for only £50ish pounds that may prove better than anything on the market.

Thanks again

Prolex-uk supply the best induction kit IMO as it avoids the exhaust manifold and therefore gets colder air to the engine. But i just run a K&N panel filter as was recommended to you above. I have a blueflame exhaust and it makes a really nice noise with a small performance increase. Others on here like the HKS silent hipower but its v expensive.

You will only need a new clutch after an SC upgrade once you've gone through the original. The original clutch will be fine initially (on TTE setup at least), you'll just go through it quicker.

I'm not entirely sure what the difference between V & I 6 engines are except the physical cylinder layout. Hopefully someone can educate us both :)

Ed

if i remember righly V6 engines have more torque/power at the bottom end of the rev range where as a straight is more drawn out, it generates most of its power/reaches its peak at the top end of the rev range.

Dont Quote me on this :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
if i remember righly V6 engines have more torque/power at the bottom end of the rev range where as a straight is more drawn out, it generates most of its power/reaches its peak at the top end of the rev range.

Dont Quote me on this :lol:

Adding to this is that straight six's are generally more refined for comfort and smooth progression rather than full blown performance. :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links