Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Castrol Edge

Andy-R

Has anyone used Castrol Edge oil , I normally use Magnatec but wasn't too impressed with it last time, may of just been a bad batch but I wan't to try something else next time around. Also what's the best grade for the IS?

the grade my work use is 5w30 i work for toyota. B)

I've used Castrol Edge 0W-30 for the past three oil changes on my LS430 and I'm very impressed. You notice it most when you start it from cold. With the oil that Lexus use, when started it would rev to about 1,400 rpm then settle down to 1,000 rpm. With Castrol Edge it now revs to 2,000 rpm when started. My mpg has also been slightly better by 2-3 mpg as well. Looking down the oil filler tube, it has also cleaned up the inside of the engine as well. When I first looked down it when I first bought it, the inside was slightly brown. I looked down it after a year of using Castrol Edge and it now looks almost silver and new. I can't recomend it enough. I'm going to start using it in my Nissan Micra driving school car.

It's probably overkill but I do change the oil in the Lexus every six months. It doesn't do 10,000 miles per year though but it makes me feel better.

Jim.

IIRC then Magnatec is a semi-synthetic oil and has a different grade to what you are considering. The Edge is a fully and wholly synthetic oil range and approved to various manufacturer specifications (obviously depending on the oil viscosity). IMHO a VERY good engine oil and like as the contributor above says, I tend to do an oil/filter change 12 months regardless of mileage, but the Edge is approved for extended drain intervals used by various manufacturers.

Expensive stuff, but Costco do get some in from time to time and ridiculously low prices (3L for £11) - whereas your dealership may charge close to £15 +VAT PER LITER.

I normally change the oil every 12 months as I only do about 8k a year, i've read Castrol Edge allows longer between changes but i'm not that bothered about that as I'll still change the oil every 12 months give or take I just want the best possible oil in the car, it's £40 in Halfords but i'm pretty sure it'll be cheaper elsewhere (will defo keep an eye on Costco), so unless anyone's got a better recomendation i'll go with that. Cheers.

I'm on 'Edge', had no problems, the best thing is it's a real bargain at National Tyres Garages £34 for oil change (5W30 oil) and filter! Get 10% discount if booked online.

Just make sure they order the correct filter as IS200 used 2 different types pre and post 2001 i found

I just thought I would add this. My Micra has had an oil change yesterday using Castrol Edge 0W-30 fully synthetic (overkill for a Micra, I know) and the average MPG has gone from 40.3 to 42.1 on the computer. It does make a difference, even on a weeney 1.2 litre engine.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links