Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Corroding Alloys

I have only had my IS200 a couple of months.

Sourced through a Broker, but Lexus Bristol have been first class.

I noticed last week that my alloys are showing signs of corrosion (and the car is only 6 months old).

Lexus have told me that they have had trouble with alloys corroding and will replace them under the warranty (throughout - that is up to 3 years of age!!!!)

The dealer needs to check them.... and mine are being replaced next week.

They will even replace them if they are kerbed too!..... Nice one Lexus!

By the way... I dont want this happening again.. can anyone recommend a decent alloy cleaner that wont corrode the alloys????

Hi,

This is a common problem.

Don't worry about it happening again, my understanding is that they replace them with re-furbished alloys... better than the original.

.. Just wait for this to be confirmed by 'an expert'...

Whilst hardly an expert (!), my alloys were replaced yesterday by Octogon Lexus in Bracknell. They seem to lacquer the back of the wheel now, whereas on my other wheels they weren't and that's where the corrosion crept in. The finish on the wheels seem a lot smoother too.

To clean my wheels I use Autoglym alloy wheel cleaner. Don't leave it on longer than the instructions say though as it is corrosive. I seem to remember through GOLD, there's a discount on an alloy wheel polish. I can't remember the name but Wildrnes did my wheels at Gaydon and it was really good stuff

I take it that alloys on brand new IS200's won't corrode then?

I have had 3 IS200's:

1st - 9/2000) Replaced after 6 months due to rattle from engine bay.

2nd - 4/2001) Wheels replaced with refurb'd one after 1 year due to pitting. The lacquer was much thicker. Wrote car off Feb '03.

3rd - 3/2003) The wheels on this new IS do not appear to have as 'thick' a finish as the refurb'd ones on my last car. Will they corrode I wonder?

Right then, just got off the phone to various people at lexus. After getting passed back and forth between lexus GB and warrenty people, each saying its the other responsibility!, I got passed to customer relations.

They have said that they can raise the case and get the Local dealer to assess the calipers. If it is not a functional issue then they have been told by Lexus Japan and Toyota EU that it is NOT a claimable issue. The dealer will be asked to provide a cost to paint the calipers and Lexus GB cust. rel. may the contribute some money towards the cost of this (but not all!!)

Apparently they "do not have an open cheque book"!!

I mentioned that others have had it done - "maybe some slipped through the net".

Also mentioned about the wheels which is purely cosmetic issue. Apparently it may be because these are highly noticeable items, I did mention that because of the wheel design, so are the brake calipers, but didn't get anywhere.

So, where am I left - nowhere really. Unless the very nice people (lick lick) at Reading can say its functional (i.e. the caliper material is corroded and may cause internal cracking etc) then I have no chance. Cost to paint is gonna be massive so will do it myself maybe.

Come on Lexus - we paid good money for our cars - why not give us a little bit back and sort this issue out. How much good press etc and feel good factor will this then create? Good will does not cost much. There doesn't seem to be an issue with the GS300 etc so why on the IS? Could it be a dreaded case of more poor paint finish? Is this then covered under the paint warrenty?? Has anyone tried this line of approach?

I seem to remember through GOLD, there's a discount on an alloy wheel polish. I can't remember the name but Wildrnes did my wheels at Gaydon and it was really good stuff

Yep, it's Toughseal Alloy Wheel Wax, and there's a good deal available to Gold members :D

Gareth

thanks a lot Gareth, yeah it is pretty obvious

another question, can the lexus alloys be repaired with that shiny edge they have? cos i kerbed one of them yesterday :( and want to know whether it can be done

also, is it possible to make all the edges (shiny bits) chrome while leaving the rest as it is?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links