Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Does This Work Then?

I was having one of my bored stuck in traffic thinking moments today, and being an inquisitive, likes to take things apart, kind of guy, I started wondering how the ASL (automatic sound leveliser) works in my GS300

Sat still in traffic - no nuggets on the display

Moving along above about 10-15MPH 1 nugget on the display

Moving along above about 60MPH 2 nuggets on the display

I noticed that if I drove along at a speed where only 1 nugget was being displayed and then I opened either of the front windows (even just slightly), then another nugget appeared on the display. I therefore deduced that there must either be some sort of microphone to pick up noise, or that the car knows that the window is open. I don't know how the microphone could distinguish between the noise of the music and other noise because otherwise, the stereo would always be trying to turn itself up.

Does anyone know how this system works? :blink:

Also an inquistative question although very different and bizarre, also a traffic light moment....

As everyone knows if you lose or are born without one of your senses your other senses will grow to compensate for the loss of sight etc....

If your blind your hearing (or ability to pick out noise) gets better, therefore if a blind person gets one of these operations that can restore your eyesight does that mean they can then see and have super hearing :)

Now there's a stupid question for ya :iraqi-info-minister:

Also an inquistative question although very different and bizarre, also a traffic light moment....

As everyone knows if you lose or are born without one of your senses your other senses will grow to compensate for the loss of sight etc....

If your blind your hearing (or ability to pick out noise) gets better, therefore if a blind person gets one of these operations that can restore your eyesight does that mean they can then see and have super hearing :)

Now there's a stupid question for ya :iraqi-info-minister:

No... why??

Because the reason your hearing is more senstive is not becuase it improves.. but that you take more notice of the information being recieved by it.

Thats not to say that you won't continue to interpret what you hear better, but because you can see, and as humans, we view eyesight as the major sense, then you would return to relying on your sight above all over senses.

:P

They have also found that people who are born blind but for a relatively simple reason (i.e. born with cataracts, mainly in the third world) are having severe psycological problems.

Their entire world is different to how their brain had built up a mental image of it. Some have even commited suicide.

Imagine that - realising you had a vauxhall and your neighbour had a Lexus........

I was having one of my bored stuck in traffic thinking moments today, and being an inquisitive, likes to take things apart, kind of guy, I started wondering how the ASL (automatic sound leveliser) works in my GS300

Sat still in traffic - no nuggets on the display

Moving along above about 10-15MPH 1 nugget on the display

Moving along above about 60MPH 2 nuggets on the display

I noticed that if I drove along at a speed where only 1 nugget was being displayed and then I opened either of the front windows (even just slightly), then another nugget appeared on the display. I therefore deduced that there must either be some sort of microphone to pick up noise, or that the car knows that the window is open. I don't know how the microphone could distinguish between the noise of the music and other noise because otherwise, the stereo would always be trying to turn itself up.

Does anyone know how this system works? :blink:

I've wondered the same thing before.

The ASL in my GS doesn't really seem to work that well as I always seem to be fiddling with the volume. I see the "nuggets" going up and down but don't really hear any discernible difference.

I wonder if mine is boogered? :blink:

No, mine does not seem to do much either. I suppose in a car that quiet, you probably dont need to raise the volume up too much anyway. I drove a Mundano once which had a similar thing and that was really noticable. Just interested to find out where it gets it's input(s) from, and also slightly relieved that there are some other like-minded people out there too :blink:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links