Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Headunit

Hi guys,

Thought i'd start a thread to ease (or possibly increase) the headache i've recently acquired from looking at the many hundreds of headunits out there for my IS200 and getting totally swamped with tech data etc.

I've wanted a nice double din unit for a while, but its never really been towards the top of my priority list till recently.

Basically, my brief is a double din touch screen unit that's capable of playing dvd's, cd's, radio, my ipod touch (1st gen) and preferably Bluetooth connectivity for my phone. Ideally i'd like the screen to be motorised so i can tilt it slightly for better viewing etc and be in the £300-350 price range. I know a few members have the Pioneer FH P80BT unit (which i saw in action in Paul Cross's IS) and its a lovely piece of kit and has everything i could ask for apart from the dvd playback option.

So based on that, i looked at some pioneer units (as i think they are the best looking out there) and have seen these two:

Pioneer AVHP-3100DVD

Pioneer AVHP-4000DVD

Unfortunately, neither have Bluetooth as standard and at about 130 quid for the add-on, its not economically feasible for me to go that route. Nor do they have the tilt function.

Redz advised me on the JVC 810 unit (LIKE THIS), which again seems to tick all the boxes, but doesn't have Bluetooth as standard and also no tilt screen.

so my question to those in the know is, are there any units out there that you'd advise me looking at, or should i plump for one of the 3 listed above and possibly add the Bluetooth at a later date?? if the latter, which of the 3 would you reccomend.

Many thanks in advance

Rob

hey i just got the JVC KW-AVX820, it has everything you are looking for, its about £550 pounds though but I think it is well worth it, I am very very happy with mine :D

yea saw ur threadabout that matey, but its over budget i'm afraid and that's something i can't really shift on to be honest :crybaby:

its the jvc for me rob as thats what im getting

where u getting it from mate?? whats the best price u've found on it??

i know the jvc unit has a removable front plate, but don't think it has the screen tilt function or Bluetooth (but that can be added)??

its the jvc for me rob as thats what im getting

where u getting it from mate?? whats the best price u've found on it??

i know the jvc unit has a removable front plate, but don't think it has the screen tilt function or Bluetooth (but that can be added)??

it does have screen tilt but you will prob never use it..i dont on mine!

can add BT but your looking about another £90..

clarion max668RVD is the old one i had which i sold to dan, that had tilt screen, ipod connection and the bt add on was about 60 quid.

@rolex, yea tis a nice unit mate, but can't afford it now and couldn't stretch to it back then, lol....

regards the ipod connection, apparently the JVC unit won't support the 1st generation ipod touch!! but from looking on the pioneer site, the other two should (but not 100% on that)???

so, if you compare these 3 units, does one stand out above the rest? or ar ethey all very similar in terms of functions and potential use??

rob

I know you have set a limit on budget and dont want to shift on that, i was the same when i was looking for one last month, but i added a few quid to get the JVC KW-NX7000, this is a discontinued unit,(been replaced with 2009 model) so there was alot of good deals to be had on companys looking to get shot of this older stock, it has sat nav built into it, and does all that you are looking for, i got mine for 515 quid delivered, i see on your profile that you have a tom tom, so maybe this is no use to u??

On the 3 units u listed above my opinion is that the JVC is the best looking one, has the biggest screen, and the sd card slot is a major bonus, thats where i play my tunes from now.

I cant fault the JVC on anything except the ipod playback is quite slow, not ages, but certinally not instant, but i beleive that this is a common prob with alot of units?? but like i said, i just copied all the tunes i have on my ipod to a sd card and dont bother with plugging in the ipod at all.

But if u want the phone kit, it is an extra 90 quid

JVC for me

cheers for ur input deckie, much appreciated matey.

the price is certainly something i wanna try and stick close to as i've got other things on the go at the minute and having to budget round that......

sat nav isn't really a must have as i do have a tom tom so will use that as and when.

what i really need to find out is whether any/all of these units will work with my ipod and allow me to change tracks etc etc from the headunit itself???

the price is certainly something i wanna try and stick close to as i've got other things on the go at the minute and having to budget round that......

sat nav isn't really a must have as i do have a tom tom so will use that as and when.

what i really need to find out is whether any/all of these units will work with my ipod and allow me to change tracks etc etc from the headunit itself???

hey, here is a good review on the jvc 810, your ipod will work with this unit but you would need to by an extra cable (ks-u20) think they are around 35 pound, will let you control your ipod from the radio screen and can also have Bluetooth with the ks-bta200, i think its around 90 pound

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YBlT1O3eoGR/p...-KW-AVX810.html

hey, here is a good review on the jvc 810, your ipod will work with this unit but you would need to by an extra cable (ks-u20) think they are around 35 pound, will let you control your ipod from the radio screen and can also have Bluetooth with the ks-bta200, i think its around 90 pound

thats a great link mate, thanks very much. seems as if it will definitely support the 1st gen ipod touch so thats wicked!!!

look slike it might eb this that i go for then, although the pioneer unit (p4000) is the best looking IMHO.

i guess i could add Bluetooth at a later date and maybe a tv tuner so the missus can watch tv on the go (heaven forbid she misses an episode of coronation street!!!! :shutit: )

thats a great link mate, thanks very much. seems as if it will definitely support the 1st gen ipod touch so thats wicked!!!

look slike it might eb this that i go for then, although the pioneer unit (p4000) is the best looking IMHO.

i guess i could add Bluetooth at a later date and maybe a tv tuner so the missus can watch tv on the go (heaven forbid she misses an episode of coronation street!!!! :shutit: )

no problem at all, thats the one I was originally looking at, but went for the 820 because it worked out cheaper when i bought it from the states,

i just need to get the new ipod cable for it so i can play movies from my ipod and the album artwork comes up,

i do like the look of the pioneer but i prefer the jvc, nice big screen :D

mate,

go into a store to check this as JVC say its not supported..

mate,

go into a store to check this as JVC say its not supported..

hey if you email this guy, his name is Graham Irving, he works for JVC technical UK, he will let you know if your ipod will work on this model, I know he said my 2nd gen ipod touch would work on it so earlier models should work

grahami@jvc.co.uk

cheers for the email address matey - appreciate it.

yea i know what u mean redz, but i dont have the time spare to head off to leicester/derby at the minute, hence the questions.....

if i can manage to find some time this weeked then i'll try find a retailer of these units in leicester and take it from there?

cheers for everyone's input so far - just trying to figure out which of these three would suit me best....

cheers for the email address matey - appreciate it.

yea i know what u mean redz, but i dont have the time spare to head off to leicester/derby at the minute, hence the questions.....

if i can manage to find some time this weeked then i'll try find a retailer of these units in leicester and take it from there?

cheers for everyone's input so far - just trying to figure out which of these three would suit me best....

theres cel on welford rd.. think they have em in..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links