Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help! Cd Player Packed In - I Think!

I've been lucky in that I've never had a problem with the 6 disc CD player except a couple of times when the ERR3 message appeared and I just turned off the system and turned it on again and it was fixed! Also I've tried to not always have 6 discs in at once in case I get this error message (I'm not sure if this is a reason why this happens?)...... anyway if I recall correctly I was ejecting a disc (all 6 discs were loaded) and I accidently turned off the system and I think that was the cause... because now whenever I turn on the system I get the radio frequency displayed and pressing CD it for a microsecond displays ERR3 and then goes back to the radio frequency display! I can't eject any discs either. Do you have any tips or do I have to get it replaced :-(???

ERR3 means that a disc is jammed, as you suspect. Is the CD drive at the top or the bottom ? I believe it's relatively straightforward to take apart the top loaders and free up the discs, and that can often fix it. But with the bottom loaders it's a nightmare (I tried ! :lol: ) and you'll probably need a new head unit :(

It's the bottom loader version - ..............now if it is bust then (1) how much does a replacement unit cost and (2) will the Lexus Service Dealer be able to get the 6 discs out which are still stuck in :-(

If it's a bottom loader like mine then it's not easy to take apart. But the same thing happened with mine. You can take it apart yourself if you've got some small screwdrivers, and then you'll be able to get the discs out, it's a waste of money to pay Lexus to do that.

Don't bother trying to get a replacement OEM unit, they'll either cost an absolute fortune from Lexus, or you can get one secondhand but it will fail again at some point. The price of an aftermarket unit can vary depending on what you want, e.g. iPod connectivity, Bluetooth, DVDs, satnav etc. There are various threads explaining how to fit an aftermarket stereo and how to get and prepare a fascia adapter in the Workshop forum. Then there is the Audio/Video forum where you can always ask questions to get recommendations on particular units to go for. You'll find loads of threads there from LOC members who have replaced their head units.

I've been lucky in that I've never had a problem with the 6 disc CD player except a couple of times when the ERR3 message appeared and I just turned off the system and turned it on again and it was fixed! Also I've tried to not always have 6 discs in at once in case I get this error message (I'm not sure if this is a reason why this happens?)...... anyway if I recall correctly I was ejecting a disc (all 6 discs were loaded) and I accidently turned off the system and I think that was the cause... because now whenever I turn on the system I get the radio frequency displayed and pressing CD it for a microsecond displays ERR3 and then goes back to the radio frequency display! I can't eject any discs either. Do you have any tips or do I have to get it replaced :-(???

That's done my friend!

Like Stevie siad,

dont bother with lexus,

dont get a second hand one,

just carefully strip it down,

get your disc's back,

then smash the living s:tsktsk:t out of it with a big hammer, this will make you feel better,

then go get a nice double din replacement :hehe:

i have a head unit that's working and no problems with it, just changed mine over to a after market unit and no longer need this is your interested you can pm me

You have to be careful when swapping head units though, if 5-digit number on the front of the head unit is different from the existing one, then it may well not work.

Or you can buy an external CD changer emulator that reads USB, SD and other memory cards - it works just like an external CD changer and is controlled from the head unit.

The biggest drawback of the OEM unit is that it is CD audio player and hell no chance to display song titles etc.

What was the cause then of it packing in? Was it going to eventually......... or was it my mistake to load it with 6 discs - usually I tend to eject tlistened to discs immediately and so have around 3 max in the player?

What was the cause then of it packing in? Was it going to eventually......... or was it my mistake to load it with 6 discs - usually I tend to eject tlistened to discs immediately and so have around 3 max in the player?

The ERR3 means it's jammed. It's a mechanical item, and I guess it's not just that reliable. Yes, it should be able to handle 6 discs with no problem, and mine used to be fine with 6 discs in it, but after a while it got ERR3. As I said, in theory you could take it apart, free the jam and put it back together and it would probably be fine again (till the next time it jammed). Trouble is, the bottom loaders are pretty hard to take apart so IMHO would be even harder to put back together.

Think of it as a blessing in disguise though. I was a bit annoyed when my head unit went ERR3, but in the end I was pleased, because my new head unit is sooooo much better ! :D

I have had the ERR1 problem with mine a few times and I think I had the ERR3 once.

I found that as soon as the unit showed any signs of jamming a sharp thump on the side of the console near the unit would sometimes shock the CD free.

Sometimes a series of small thumps on the side of the console would also work the CD loose while the motors are whirring trying to eject.

I do not know whether this would work in your case, it may be worth applying a series of thumps very close together while repeatedly pressing the eject button may release the jam, it has worked for me.

Also do this with the engine running so that Battery voltage is at max (14V), may give the motors the edge they need.

After I had the problem a few times I stuck to one CD at a time to give it an easier life. It was still working when I sold the car a few months ago.

Give it a try you may recover it ... then use 1 CD at a time.

I also found that copied CD's were sometimes thicker and easier to jam.

• 1 month later...
I have had the ERR1 problem with mine a few times and I think I had the ERR3 once.

I found that as soon as the unit showed any signs of jamming a sharp thump on the side of the console near the unit would sometimes shock the CD free.

Sometimes a series of small thumps on the side of the console would also work the CD loose while the motors are whirring trying to eject.

I do not know whether this would work in your case, it may be worth applying a series of thumps very close together while repeatedly pressing the eject button may release the jam, it has worked for me.

Also do this with the engine running so that battery voltage is at max (14V), may give the motors the edge they need.

After I had the problem a few times I stuck to one CD at a time to give it an easier life. It was still working when I sold the car a few months ago.

Give it a try you may recover it ... then use 1 CD at a time.

I also found that copied CD's were sometimes thicker and easier to jam.

I've given it a thump few times - with my fingers crossed - should I try using a hammer or something firmer? Can you describe your "thump" a bit more - I'm missing listening to CDs in the car .... aaarg! Heeeeeelp!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links