Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mkiv Ls400 Vs Ls430 Engine Power, Am I Going Mad?

thought i had read somewhere that the LS430 had 329bhp and mkiv LS400 had 280bhp compared to mkI/II 240bhp and mkIII 260bhp, but now i'm reading the 430 has 279bhp and the only improvement i can see for the extra 300cc and couple of years engineering is a change in torque from 293lb/ft to 308 lb/ft and both do 0-60 in 6.7 secs, did lexus really not move forwards in that time?

According to the Autotrader specs the 430 has 2 BHP Less and 15 more Torques than the 400, and the 430 is slightly better on fuel.

Its more of a refinement to an already good engine than an all out improvement.

I would imagine that the ECU gets re-mapped as well, to give more torque over a wider range of engine speed.

I certainly feel that my 430 is better at higher speeds, and more importantly when overtaking, than my old 400.

Remember these are Luxury cars, not sports cars, so all out power wont be the main consideration to the engine designers.

I remember reading somewhere that the LS430 with the 6 speed box does the 0-60 dash in 6.1 seconds and is limited to 155mph. In terms of refienment, you just can't hear it. I have driven it yesterday and today, at normal everyday driving speeds and it hasn't once gone over 2,000 rpm. In terms of refienment they have got it sorted. It is also doing at the moment 20.1mpg which isn't bad, especially as the front and rear ac is on and the fridge is chilling a couple of bottles of water.

I'd love to have a drive in an LS400 to compare the two in terms of power and ride.

it's the point of power that has got me wondering, i know the 430 is in another league of refinement thanks to a complete rethink instead of "Oh crap how do we fit sat-nav into a 12 year old design" like the Mk4 400 is (mind you could be worse the jag XK8 came out when there was no such thing as a small mobile phone/sat-nav and has just sprouted buttons where they'll fit as it's got older :-S ), but I'm looking to either get a mk4 400 or a mkI 430 when my mk3 finally gives up the ghost (210k and counting, unless something major mechanical goes wrong which it shouldn't i think it'll be rust that'll kill it at an MOT), which will hopefully be a couple of years from now but i can't justify the extra couple/several grand outlay over a perfectly serviceable mk4 with 280bhp to get a barely newer 430 with the same power.

to be fully truthful with u mate, the 430 is the one to have, as said it is a stunning engine, and economy wise,. we have just got back from, Newcastle done 403 miles so far and the trip comp is still reading 100 left. that's around 500 to a tank of fuel, and some of that was on the small roads, and undisclosed speeds were hit several times on the journey, we have a 95 400 aswell, and although the resemblance is there, the 430 is far the superior. hope this helps

Anuj

to be fully truthful with u mate, the 430 is the one to have, as said it is a stunning engine, and economy wise,. we have just got back from, Newcastle done 403 miles so far and the trip comp is still reading 100 left. that's around 500 to a tank of fuel, and some of that was on the small roads, and undisclosed speeds were hit several times on the journey, we have a 95 400 aswell, and although the resemblance is there, the 430 is far the superior. hope this helps

Anuj

ha ha this 400 or 430 never end or comes to a conclusion! - i have been running a mark 3 for 18 months and have been very happy with but from time to time i still think of upgrading but dont know wether it to go for a mark 4 or wait a little and pick up a 430. I do really fancy the 430 wih the extra few gadgets and DVD sat nav BUT i prefer the looks of the Mark 4. The do like the facelift version of the 430.

Couple of guys on here have commented on electical and rust problems with the 430

i shall keep reading.............

The 430 engine has 300+ bhp in US spec, Europe spec limited it to 279. It has more torque than the older 4.0l engine and improved emissions/economy.

They could quite easily get 350+ bhp from the engine but it doesn't suit the image of the vehicles it goes in.

The 430 engine has 300+ bhp in US spec, Europe spec limited it to 279. It has more torque than the older 4.0l engine and improved emissions/economy.

They could quite easily get 350+ bhp from the engine but it doesn't suit the image of the vehicles it goes in.

This could be one of the reasons why these engine's seem to go on for ever. They are so under stressed it's stupid. I'd love to have mine chipped but I think the money you have to pay for the performance benefits don't seem worth it.

if the chips anything like i've seen on much smaller engine you'll think you've had a supercharger fitted with the amount of torqe it'll open up.

Is the 430 still on distributor cap and rotor arm or has it got a/2 coil pack/s?

if the chips anything like i've seen on much smaller engine you'll think you've had a supercharger fitted with the amount of torqe it'll open up.

Is the 430 still on distributor cap and rotor arm or has it got a/2 coil pack/s?

It has coil packs instead of a distributor and rotor arm.

(Dare I say, I even think the 430 looks better)

You dare not ...... :)

Ford scorpio lights on a ruler designed LS400 is not a good look, and as for the later versions which look like stretched Citroen C3's ....... dont get me started ...........

Awaiting flaming ;)

It has coil packs instead of a distributor and rotor arm.

8 coils, one on each of the plugs. I would have thought the LS400 MKIV also has this?

(Dare I say, I even think the 430 looks better)

You dare not ...... :)

Ford scorpio lights on a ruler designed LS400 is not a good look, and as for the later versions which look like stretched Citroen C3's ....... dont get me started ...........

Awaiting flaming ;)

i agree with you! - but when the time comes i may over-rule the looks preference for the extra gadgets the 430 has to offer - id be mad not to - it goes without saying once a lexus driver always a lexus driver.

The other day i went to look at my mates 04 plate skoda octavia - he seemed over the moon with it - but to me it looked so cheapy cheerfully hallowy plasticy tack - nothing compared to the bombproof construction found on every inch in the lexus!

i have yet to come across a car which will top a lexus in terms of build quality and reliability!

well the MK4 over MK3 has the following: Sat Nav, Softer Leather Seats, better VVTI engine, Xenon Lights.

The 430 over the 400 has: Heated/cooled massage seats, DVD Sat Nav, Xenons, Parking Sensors, Extra Woodtrim and it also comes with the consensus that it is best of all 3 LSs

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links