Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Can 100 Trillion Dollar Get You?

Not very much if it's in Zimbabwe. Due to hyperinflation, 100 Trillion Zimbabwe Dollar would be around $300 USD (or £183). You can just about buy 3 eggs with 100 Billion Zimbabwe Dollar! More info here.

A loaf of bread in Zimbabwe now costs about 300 billion Zimbabwean dollars and like most commodities, the price increases every day.

ZimbabweBread_450x300.jpg

The funny thing is they have 27 different types of notes and it ranges from $1 to 100 Trillion!

Zimbabwe-notes.jpg

100Trillion.jpg

I'm off to buy a pint of milk...(if you can find a shop that would sell it that is...)

ZimbabweMoney8.jpg

I've ordered a 100 trillion dollar note from ebay. Good conversation starter with the ladies lol. Great money spinner too for anyone passing through Zimbabwe to bring some back in crisp condition and sell it off here and make 300% profit!

Me too :D

I read that they've redone it all now and slashed 12 zeros off the currency so the top note is actually a Z$100 value - even so they're a bargain for the couple of quid you can get them on eBay :)

They could have done with these for the Austin Powers film!

I've just got mine from eBay. Bloody fast delivery for 90p and £2.10 for the actual note. Would have been less but some bidder decided to also bid on it. Little did he know i've already put a reserved bid at from 99p to £3.25. only took like a day or two to get here! Yep, it's in mint uncirculated condition. So if you was to buy some i suggest you to get them fast as they are not a legal contender in Zimbabwe and they won't be producing anymore. They've only been around for 8 months. I've also ordered the whole range between thousands, millions, billions and the trillions (21 notes). Bit like stamp collecting hobby this lol. All this billions, trillions is making me hungry.

now is that a UK billion/trillion or a US billion/trillion?? :lol::lol::hehe: :duh:

They're the same thing now I think.....

That's crazy inflation! I can't believe there's a 100 trillion dollar note, might have to buy one too! :D

i think the day to day transactions of a lot of people is now being done in US dollars, for the reason of sheer weight of the local money is ridiculous. I heard they were paying all government employees in USD now too - its the only way they can get them to turn up to work any more.

It reminds me of stories in the late twenties in Germany, when they had similar hyperinflation problems. People would literally take a wheelbarrow of cash to the shops, and have to leave them outside while they got groceries. People would then nick not the money, which was worthless, but tip out the cash and run off with the barrow!!

i've got my parents over from Zim at the moment and they tell me the Zim dollar is no more. they are now officially using the US dollar and what's worse, is that all the zim dollars that were in the banks were simply deleted - as in you had millions in your account on the 31st, and the government announced on the 1st that the dollar was no longer legal tender and everything was gone and you had to start from scratch - seriously! my aunt lost all her pension - everything. it was only because my folks own their own business and had been trading in us dollars for ages before that they had very little impact.

absolutely crazy isn't it!

That must be seriously horrible! How can they get away with that though, as surely all that was legal tender has gone somewhere?

welcome to Africa! the government can do whatever they want to, and there is nothing you can do. logic and fairness don't come into it. and the rest of the world isn't interested in doing anything serious about it cause there is nothing to gain from it...like oil.

actually, it didn't take long for people to adjust, and apparently it is cheaper to live now that everything is in USD, but only for the middle to upper income earners. the low income or poverty line families were screwed either way.

now you know why so many of us got out years ago and started our lives fresh over here where we still have a chance...

That's mad isn't it.

I've been to Nigeria and Ghana in the past, and I did notice a lot of places either took local currency or USD. I've still got some Nigerian currency at home but never brought any of the Ghanain stuff back with me - my boss at the time said you weren't supposed to so didn't bother!

Did Mugabe siphon all of that off somewhere then? I did read somewhere that his wife has quite the shopping habit!

Thats crazy, Im off to Island of Croatia and they have Kuna there which should be refreshing rather than the crappy old Euro. 8.5 Kuna to the Pound So a pint will be about 10 Kuna, or hopefully cheaper :D :D :D

I much prefer mixing it up with different currencies dont like the Euro at all

That's mad isn't it.

I've been to Nigeria and Ghana in the past, and I did notice a lot of places either took local currency or USD. I've still got some Nigerian currency at home but never brought any of the Ghanain stuff back with me - my boss at the time said you weren't supposed to so didn't bother!

Did Mugabe siphon all of that off somewhere then? I did read somewhere that his wife has quite the shopping habit!

Many countries with weak currencies don't like you taking it out the country - Egypt and Morocco are two more. I've snuck out a few quid in those currencies but since they have poor exchange rates they are useless outside those countries anyway. There are only 3 really valuable currencies in the world, USD, Euro and (to a lesser extent these days) the GBP. If you have assets in those currencies, you're sorted wherever you go...

My set of notes arrived really fast, now i have all but the "thousands", think theres 6 different ones. I had a note which was (what i thought is a dud). When i asked for a replacement (like for like). The seller replied that she will replace it for nothing and i get to keep the "dud" one i have. Which she assured me that it may be dud but it is probably/could be worth more than the whole set as "dud" note is "unique". All my notes are also AA, meaning it's from the first print. So if you are going to buy yourself some of these i suggest getting it from this seller as it's one i bought from and was very happy with the service! Some of the notes are already rare in unused/uncirculated condition.

oops, just noticed this should have been in the non-lexus section, my bad. Any chance this can be moved to the non-lexus section so it follows the forum structure?* then this line can be deleted! lol

I think they're literally just for a laugh mate, doubt they'll be worth much as there is too much mint stuff that was never circulated available.

My parents used to have a coffee table which was a wooden surface, but they had a sheet of glass cut to fit exactly over the top of it. Underneath they had dozens of different foreign banknotes, some new from the more obscure countries of Eastern Europe, and some really old ones. There was even a Weimar Republic one from 1920s Germany. Made a good talking point...

My favourite of the local pubs also has a handful of weird notes stuck on the wall behind the bar.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links