Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

B&m Short Shift Kit

Hey all,

Recently purchased a B&M kit of the bay for decent price - I fitted it today; forward gears work like a dream but selecting reverse seems to be almost impossible to select without using TWO HANDS!!?? :unsure:

I'm pretty sure ive fitted correctly and got my old man to have a look at it too (he's a mechanic) and we can't figure out why its so stiff when trying to get into reverse.

Reading some of the other posts i see that other people have encountered the same problem but not to the same extent - i mean i'm no weakling but this just seems ridiculously hard to do!

Any help or advice on this much appreciated . . . thanks,

Hey all,

Recently purchased a B&M kit of the bay for decent price - I fitted it today; forward gears work like a dream but selecting reverse seems to be almost impossible to select without using TWO HANDS!!?? :unsure:

I'm pretty sure ive fitted correctly and got my old man to have a look at it too (he's a mechanic) and we can't figure out why its so stiff when trying to get into reverse.

Reading some of the other posts i see that other people have encountered the same problem but not to the same extent - i mean i'm no weakling but this just seems ridiculously hard to do!

Yep mine was the same :o

Hey all,

Did you find a solution to it or is it summat im gonna have to get used to?

Hey all,

Did you find a solution to it or is it summat im gonna have to get used to?

Well you sort of have to live with it mate, but in the end i got TRD one, that was 100 times better :D

I inititally fitted mine without any lube and every gear was like that!!

Might be worth popping it back out, lubing it all up and try refitting it to see if that makes any difference?

After that it wasn't too bad at all :)

Might be worth popping it back out, lubing it all up and try refitting it to see if that makes any difference?

I did put quite a lot of gearbox grease on the shifter but ill have a go at putting a bit more in the gearbox opening itself.

Thanks for all your help guys,

Would be great if i could find out where to get the trd shifter from and how much it cost

I did put quite a lot of gearbox grease on the shifter but ill have a go at putting a bit more in the gearbox opening itself.

Thanks for all your help guys,

Would be great if i could find out where to get the trd shifter from and how much it cost

The TRD shifter was well over £200 mark mate, i did sell the B&M so got some money back to fund it :winky:

The TRD was 100 times better just like the standard one :D i got it from prolex many yrs ago now

No worries mate - don't know if they're still available though, like Gord said the TRD were the absolute business, still felt like stock although a longer throw than the B&M. I loved the B&M once I'd got it right as it made the car feel like a go kart or an arcade machine :)

No worries mate - don't know if they're still available though, like Gord said the TRD were the absolute business, still felt like stock although a longer throw than the B&M. I loved the B&M once I'd got it right as it made the car feel like a go kart or an arcade machine :)

yh i gotta say all the other gears apart from reverse are unbelievable - i feel like im driving summat a lot faster and the throw is virtually non existent - it feels like ma dads old Ford Cosworth gearbox!!

That sounds about right then to be honest mate, when I fecked mine up it was literally two hands for every gear (and I'm not a small lad :lol:)

It's that clicking noise that's best as you change gear - I also didn't really notice the clunk between first and second after I had it fitted but that was probably as much to do with me getting used to how to make that gear change without getting the clunk anyway :)

I have the B&M short shifter on mine and i have the same thing!!!!

I do have a way around it though, this might make sense or it might not........

when i had the standard version reverse was selcted by pushing the gear knob to the left (in line with 1st gear) and then pushing it again to engagae reverse, you will not be able to do this with the B&M. To select reverse i find it easy just to do the whole thing in one movement. Go from neutral to reverse in whole fluid movement, this way it doesn't need to be forced. There is a nack to getting it right but once you get it its fine, my mum can do it with one hand so i don't think you will have a problem.

Hope this helps,

Jason :)

Yeah i find the same as Jason with my short shifter. You have to go from the centre straight to reverse to do it without a massive force. I do make sure people can do it though before i let them borrow my car :P Not that I let many people borrow my car mind you.

Yeah i find the same as Jason with my short shifter. You have to go from the centre straight to reverse to do it without a massive force. I do make sure people can do it though before i let them borrow my car :P Not that I let many people borrow my car mind you.

Lol i should hope not esp if its been supercharged :ohmy:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links