Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paintwork Problems With Is220d

Hi

I have an IS220d 08 plate in a Slate colour. The paint is coming off with a pressure washer on one side of the car only. It can be seen happening. Lexus has said it is stone chipping which I plan to take further. The car is virtually unmarked all over with about 100 similar size marks on the near side.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this?

Cheers

Hi

I have an IS220d 08 plate in a Slate colour. The paint is coming off with a pressure washer on one side of the car only. It can be seen happening. Lexus has said it is stone chipping which I plan to take further. The car is virtually unmarked all over with about 100 similar size marks on the near side.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this?

Cheers

Other replies may be right but I disagree that the original paintwork wont be an issue. Mine certainly is.

Ive got a Slate coloured IS250. Not got the same problem but the stone chipping on the bonnet and the ease with which the paintwork scratches is unbelievable.

Took it in to have it looked at and the answer was 'Paintwork is of the correct thickness etc etc etc'

They missed the point. Im not saying it isnt. Im saying that it marks and chips far too easily.

Not getting anywhere with my complaint but if you do, keep us informed.

Other replies may be right but I disagree that the original paintwork wont be an issue. Mine certainly is.

Ive got a Slate coloured IS250. Not got the same problem but the stone chipping on the bonnet and the ease with which the paintwork scratches is unbelievable.

Took it in to have it looked at and the answer was 'Paintwork is of the correct thickness etc etc etc'

They missed the point. Im not saying it isnt. Im saying that it marks and chips far too easily.

Not getting anywhere with my complaint but if you do, keep us informed.

When I took delivery of my car I also complained about the ease with which it picked up marks. Lexus called in an engineer from the OEM paint supplier, who also confirmed after testing the depth and strength of the paint that it was within tolerances. However Lexus agreed to pay for some surface scratches to be polished out by my dealer when the car was new (Lexus Twickenham), who did a perfect job.

My car is non-metallic Velvet black which as is the worst colour for showing marks, particularly under strong light.

After three years currently apart from some very tiny specs 99% on the bonnet and bumper - about the size at the most of pin head dots- and a couple of small stone chips on the very bottom of the front bumper I am without any major chip on the paintwork. As for surface scratches which are unavoidable (my other car a medium blue Volvo also suffers similarly) again I have avoided any major problem, with only some surface scratches visible in my garage on the bonnet which has a strong fluorescent light shining on it - but become invisible in daylight even in strong sun. Let’s hope I have not tempted fate!!! :crybaby:

So you are probably wondering why I agree with your concerns.

Well I am obsessively careful with the Paintwork. I only use the softest cleaning products such as a Lamb’s wool mit etc. and the very pricey Zymol range for general washing and maintenance, and then twice a year having the car waxed by a Zymol detailer. I also am careful to leave a large a gap as possible from the vehicle in front on motorways which certainly reduces the risk of stone chipping. Finally the car only covers a couple of thousand miles a year (albeit nearly all on motorways), with the car garaged the rest of the time.

Lexus cars do have very high quality even gloss finish, and a dark colour obviously such as black will show marks more than say a silver ( although on the upside touching in a chip on a dark colour is much more successful), I think that finish does make the car more susceptible to marking. As a result as far as I can see the only solution is to take as much care as possible like I mentioned above.

By the way for your information all surface scratches can be machine polished out, and many car valeters will shine a strong light on your car to show up these marks to make a case for this. However as soon as you go to wipe a spec of dirt of the bodywork or brush against the vehicle when getting in they will come straight back no matter how careful you are. It all depends the light that the car is viewed in.

Regards

Keith

Hi

The paint is coming off with a pressure washer

Cheers

Well it will !!???.... Never EVER... EVER use a pressure washer on the paintwork of a car (nor on the sidewall of tyres for that matter). Pressure washers are meant for cleaning patios and outside furniture, driveways and the like.

I have a super billion psi Karcher washer but it never has and never will go anywhere near my car.

The Ed

I use a Karchar pressure washer on my IS200 without any problems- trick is not to use the pressure washer so close to the paintwork.

Also do not direct the water (at pressure) directly onto stonechips etc.- doing that will lift the paint!

Hi

Cheers

Well it will !!???.... Never EVER... EVER use a pressure washer on the paintwork of a car (nor on the sidewall of tyres for that matter). Pressure washers are meant for cleaning patios and outside furniture, driveways and the like.

I have a super billion psi Karcher washer but it never has and never will go anywhere near my car.

The Ed

Agreed - you have to be mad to use one on any car. Why? They do little more than waste water and make noise. What's wrong with Hose, sponge and lots of warm soapy water? Pressure washers don't mean you wash any cleaner or faster.

Did you know that they can damage the sidewalls on tyres (ever noticed lots of hairline cracks after a couple of years on sidewalls)? And rubber boots and bushes on the suspension suffer too?

They are only good for cleaning slabs, even then they can destroy the slab grout and cement between slabs, wash out kiln sand on block paving etc.

And if you don't hold it close to the car so not damage then boy you really are wasting electricity, water and making noise pollution :shutit: :whistling:

Sorry for sounding off, but. I can believe why anyone uses one on a car. Just use hose!

Hi

Cheers

The Ed

Agreed - you have to be mad to use one on any car. Why? They do little more than waste water and make noise. What's wrong with Hose, sponge and lots of warm soapy water? Pressure washers don't mean you wash any cleaner or faster.

Did you know that they can damage the sidewalls on tyres (ever noticed lots of hairline cracks after a couple of years on sidewalls)? And rubber boots and bushes on the suspension suffer too?

They are only good for cleaning slabs, even then they can destroy the slab grout and cement between slabs, wash out kiln sand on block paving etc.

And if you don't hold it close to the car so not damage then boy you really are wasting electricity, water and making noise pollution :shutit: :whistling:

Sorry for sounding off, but. I can believe why anyone uses one on a car. Just use hose!

I agree too, I use a soft car wash mit for washing, then rinse with a watering can. Watering can uses much less water than a hose, about 4 watering cans full does the rinse and saves money on the water meter too ! Quick dry with an Autoglym synthetic shammy and it is gleaming and blinding people ! :winky:

But I do use a pay as you go jet wash to get under the acrches once every few months, best of both worlds.

I don't agree with the pressure washer comments, yes I never take it over half pressure and also never take the nozzle nearer than about 12 inches from the bodywork but as long as you maintain this you shouldn't have any problems.

The reason why it's better to use one is that it removes all surface dirt off the car before you attack it with a sponge or wash mitt - the last thing you want to do is pick the dirt up and scrub it all over the paintwork............

Pressure washer all the way!

On my IS200 I must have had a tiny flaw in the laquer on one side of the windscreen. When I used a jetwash the water got under laquer and blew a 50p size piece off.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links