Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1999 Ls400 Temperature And Clock Backlight

Hello All

Well I'm almost there with the small niggling faults on my 1999 LS400.

However there is one that I seem to be struggling with.

On the centre console, as part of the navigation system are 3 small LED displays for temperature on the drivers side (right), passenger side (left) and a clock and outside temperature in the middle. The displays work absolutely fine and are easily readable during the day. But the backlight on the clock and driver side temperature are out. So at night this cant be read.

I've had a look around and seems it's not that uncommon but I cant seem to find a solution.

There's loads of info on the display of the earlier LS's. Please dont get this fault mixed up with that one. Before I take it out could someone advise me whether or not this is fixable? I seem to have picked up from elsewear that they are not just bulbs behind the displays. Can anyone confir either way? It is irritating in an otherwise excellent car.

Thanks in advance.

Hello All

Well I'm almost there with the small niggling faults on my 1999 LS400.

However there is one that I seem to be struggling with.

On the centre console, as part of the navigation system are 3 small LED displays for temperature on the drivers side (right), passenger side (left) and a clock and outside temperature in the middle. The displays work absolutely fine and are easily readable during the day. But the backlight on the clock and driver side temperature are out. So at night this cant be read.

I've had a look around and seems it's not that uncommon but I cant seem to find a solution.

There's loads of info on the display of the earlier LS's. Please dont get this fault mixed up with that one. Before I take it out could someone advise me whether or not this is fixable? I seem to have picked up from elsewear that they are not just bulbs behind the displays. Can anyone confir either way? It is irritating in an otherwise excellent car.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/

Enjoy :-)

Hi

Me too - I have a 1998 Mkiv LS400 with exactly the same problem - and, yes, most help on the topic is for Mksi-iii. I'm probably being incredibly thick, but I can't find anything on the link to help. It's a real shame as apart from this niggle the car is stunning - anyone point me more specifically in the right direction?

Regards

John

You can still look at the mk2 console removal and use it as reference, it wont be that different, after all you are just removing parts held in with screws. Some screws are hidden in air vents etc, it can be awkward and/or frustrating at times but its not brain surgery to take them out.

If you buy a new unit just for the lights....i mean, what if the new units lights go too??

learn how to change them, if it is the bulbs they should be cheap and will also cost a sunday afternoon too.

Try http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/

This has exploded diagrams of most parts so this could include interior electrics too, its worth bookmarking anyway for future niggles.

ive got excactly the same problem,

I see you have 2, You lucky sod I was torn between a V8 soarer & an ls400. Which do you like best :driving:

prefer the LS for comfort etc and soarer is just wen i want to be a boy racer lol if i was forced to pick one to keep it would always be the LS

You might have seen this from the other thread where I posted it, but I've been having a go at fixing the temperature display illumination in my Mk4 1998 LS400 today. I've put together a blog post about it.

If you want any specific photos taking then let me know, because I've got to take it all apart again when the new bulbs arrive.

Excellent. Waiting with great anticipation for the result

The bulbs I bought didn't work - too dim. However Maplin was able to sell me some small bulbs which worked. Product code BT43. Everything is reassembled again now, and all looks good. I can finally read the temperature displays again!

The bulbs that I took out consisted of a small black plastic base to hold the bulb, and a green rubber cap over the bulb. You pull off the cap, then snip the wires underneath the base and remove the old bulb. Then thread the wires for the new bulb into the base. The bulbs are slightly taller but the green rubber caps still fit.

Jon

CAZoutstandin.gif Yo da man Jon CAZoutstandin.gif

I'm really jealous now :angry::angry:

As someone who cannot take a screw out without rounding the end, :blush::blush: I will wait until someone with better skills than me can follow your excellent instructions and allow me to pay in the time honoured fashion. beerdrink.gif

:)

Rod

Superb. Thanks for this. I'll have a go at this during the week or next weekend.

If you could just clear one thing up for me though...... The bulbd from Maplins in your link are white and they dont seem to have green ones available. Does this change the colour of the backlight?

Many thanks again

If you could just clear one thing up for me though...... The bulbd from Maplins in your link are white and they dont seem to have green ones available. Does this change the colour of the backlight?

No, because you reuse the little green rubber cap off the old bulb. The old bulb is also clear under the cap.

By the way, I've been out to the car in the dark to check on the brightness. I'd say that the temperature displays (with new bulbs) are something like 95% the brightness of the clock display. Very slightly dimmer but you wouldn't notice unless you were looking out for it.

Jon

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links