Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting Front & Rear Pads + Front Discs

Just ordered my EBC Turbo Groove discs, Front Green Stuffs and STD rear pads. :)

Im going to attempt to fit all these goodies myself is there any tips or problems I should look out for? Im going to take some pics along the way in an attempt to make a guide.

pee j suggested using copper grease on the backs of the pads, my car has done 58k so im hoping that nothing is seized :unsure:

Brett

my car has done 58k so im hoping that nothing is seized :unsure:

Brett

My car had done around that much when I changed my discs and pads, and I could NOT get the bolts off to remove the caliper. They had seized solid.... :blink:

Ive just had my rear pads changed today.. also done 58k

I cheated and got the local garage to do it.. didnt have any other option, heard a scraping noise.... 30 min job for them.

£69 for the rear pads, fitting and VAT... is that good or bad or the norm..

(Im sure this wear on the rear pads should have been spotted when it was serviced and MOT under 2 months ago.. but thats another story)

Just ordered my EBC Turbo Groove discs, Front Green Stuffs and STD rear pads. :)

Im going to attempt to fit all these goodies myself is there any tips or problems I should look out for? Im going to take some pics along the way in an attempt to make a guide.

Duncan suggested using copper grease on the backs of the pads, my car has done 58k so im hoping that nothing is seized :unsure:

Brett

Bring em to the Leeds meet,

I'll fit em for ye :whistling:

WOW thanks Duncan thats an offer and a half :)

I fear that its my rear's that are squeaking at the moment so I want to get them changed asap to stop any disc damage and I really would like to have a go myself :).

if I get stuck tho i'll save it till the Leeds meet :)

thanks again :hehe:

WOW thanks Duncan thats an offer and a half :)

I fear that its my rear's that are squeaking at the moment so I want to get them changed asap to stop any disc damage and I really would like to have a go myself :).

if I get stuck tho i'll save it till the Leeds meet :)

thanks again :hehe:

No probs bud. :)

Sorry Pee J I changed it

it was you who suggested it many thanks :)

I had a look on the EBC website today and they suggest that you DO NOT use copper slip grease ???

:question::question: :shutit:

Brettster,your right you dont have to its just that i would do it

as a matter of course no harm done with a very thin smear?

im sure it wont hurt not to if you dont want to.

Normally you would put a fairly thick smear on coz when you apply

brakes, piston moves out onto the plate, onto the pad then with the

forces against the pad this is where you get that screeching.

you can of course NOT use the plate,if this is the case DONT throw

the plates away keep em safe as you may change to a different

make of pads.

when i was into m/bikes i always used EBC pads/discs and always used

copper grease.............old habits die hard i suppose

you have two options - use copper grease or the newer more expensive ceramic paste - both do the same job of ( talking about brakes now) of stopping the squeal when the brakes are applied - the little plate that you will see - the one with an arrow in it - is an anti squeal shim.

i have always but a VERY thin coat of copper grease on the pad to caliper mating surfaces and also where the backing plate contacts the pistons - this will help dampen out any vibrations and thus help prevent the brake squeal.

the bolts that Zee refered to are very tight - best to give them a good squirt of WD40 the night before. And when putting them back i suggest the use of some thread locking compound - all available at any good motor factor.

cheers rob.

if anti-squeal shims are fitted they MUST be used.

the use of copper slip isnt actually recomended as this attracts dirt which in time becomes a thick paste, which then wears the running surfaces of the caliper

if copper slip is to be used it should be used on a clean hub face(wheel to hub)

locking compound should be used with new bolts on the caliper to caliper frame mounts, and the frame mounts to hub bolts should be clean and lightly oiled

im not sure with lexus, as i have had no reason to purchase new pads.......

but when i do work on customers cars in my workshop, and order OEM brake pads, they always come with 2 bolts, pre coated with threadlock. and a small tube of copper slip.

i think aslong as you purchase some threadlock and clean the threads of the caliper to caliper bracket bolts, apply a small drop of threadlock you will be fine

Got my Turbo Groove discs . Green stuff front pads and Standard EBC rear pads today :)

going to have a go at fitting them all on sunday woo

the instructions in the box for the discs says something about some kind of instrument to check the alignment of the discs??

is this something I should be worried about?

Also prolly a stupid question but are uprated brake discs something that should be declared to the insurence bods?

Got my Turbo Groove discs . Green stuff front pads and Standard EBC rear pads today :)

going to have a go at fitting them all on sunday woo

the instructions in the box for the discs says something about some kind of instrument to check the alignment of the discs??

is this something I should be worried about?

Also prolly a stupid question but are uprated brake discs something that should be declared to the insurence bods?

Don't worry about the disc alignement, they pull straight when you tighten the wheel.

Yep, you need to be letting your insurance company know,They class them as a performance upgrade... <_<

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links