Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Hids

One of my HID ballasts failed recently so as I have wanted to have a colour change for a while decided to go for a whole new kit. While browsing around, discovered that HIDs4U do a specially designed kit for cars with reflector headlamps to reduce the random light scatter. Went for the 55W 5000K kit, with the anti-glare bulbs. Few pics of it all below:

Box

DSC_1561.JPG

Kit

DSC_1562.JPG

Anti-glare bulbs (as you can probably see, the difference between these and a normal bulb is that the bottom of the bulb is obscured)

DSC_1563.JPG

DSC_1564.JPG

Instead of sticking them down, thought I'd mount the ballasts with some metal brackets I got from B&Q:

DSC_1572.JPG

DSC_1573.JPG

DSC_1574.JPG

DSC_1575.JPG

Halogen vs. 5000K HID

DSC_1581_2.JPG

Halogens

DSC_1577.JPG

Halogen left, HID right

DSC_1580.JPG

HIDs in both lights

DSC_1583.JPG

The pics aren't great, but I think the last pic does show quite clearly how good the "cut-off" is - there's still a tiny bit of upward scatter, but the difference between these and my old HIDs is incredible. Highly recommend these for any car that doesn't have projector headlamps, as it must make it more pleasant for oncoming traffic :)

One other thing, if you buy from HIDs4U, make sure to use the promo code TOYOTA PRO or STRATHY to get a £40 discount! :winky:

so these actually work?

It seems so, there's a massive reduction in upward scatter from my old HIDs which just had normal bulbs. The pics aren't brilliant, but there is quite a clean cut-off now which I never had with my old HIDs.

Looking good mate.

Cheers mate :)

It looks fantastic, well done.

Got two questions:

1 - Do you think you can make your own "anti glare" adjustment to any hid bulb by covering the same bits which a material which can withstand the heat (maybe, electric tape?)

2 - If you dont mind me asking, How much did it cost you in total?

so these actually work?

It seems so, there's a massive reduction in upward scatter from my old HIDs which just had normal bulbs. The pics aren't brilliant, but there is quite a clean cut-off now which I never had with my old HIDs.

Looking good mate.

OT question: how do the HID4U conversion kits compare to other, cheaper ones? are they really somehow special or are they more or less the same as others. ok, I must admit, I haven't seen such special HID bulbs for reflector type headlights.

It looks fantastic, well done.

Got two questions:

1 - Do you think you can make your own "anti glare" adjustment to any hid bulb by covering the same bits which a material which can withstand the heat (maybe, electric tape?)

2 - If you dont mind me asking, How much did it cost you in total?

1. Yes I've read on forums (have a look on HID planet) that some people have used enamel or some other heat resistant paint or something to similar effect - there were mentions of reduced bulb life but didn't really look into it in that much detail as it wasn't something I thought of doing. There are also these shields made by someone in the US that sits under the bulb to block the downward light, and some have even made something similar out of aluminium foil, there are definitely a few different options out there if you look around on the web.

2. No probs, it cost £120 after using the discount code I mentioned above - it isn't cheap compared to some of the kits on eBay, but I think it might be worth it. This is a 55W kit btw, the 35W kits are a bit cheaper.

Looks nice :D But isn't 55w xenon like 3 times stronger than halogen? i was thinking about buying a 35w kit :)

And Btw d2 bulbs ( D2R) for reflectors are exactly the same as that one :)

When I bought them they said 35W was 300% brighter than halogen and 55W is 400% brighter than halogen. On the drive it doesn't look that much brighter than my old kit to be honest, but will see how they look on the road.

I looked into that but D2R is not the same, those bulbs are obscured at two angles, sort of 4 and 8 o'clock but the centre is open for light to come down. The bulb that I have is obscured continuously between 5 and 7 o'clock (using the same clock analogy) meaning no light comes down at all.

But you're right, technically they're the same - the IS300 uses D2R and I did initially wonder whether the bulbs I was buying were simply D2R bulbs that had been rebased to 9006. But after getting the bulbs, they are slightly different.

Okay 35w kit ordered :) And i only have to select Reflector 9006 when i select a kit as bulb type to get antiglare bulbs or are they separate?

Nope that's it, "projector 9006" comes with normal bulbs, "reflector 9006R" comes with anti-glare bulbs - don't need to do anything else :)

Parthiban i had the same kit fitted to my IS200 when i had it (HIDs4U 55w 5000K ) and i must say i loved them,i never got anyone flashing me whilst driving and the colour was excellent, very white with a hint of blue... :D

I would recomend them to anyone... :)

Parthiban i had the same kit fitted to my IS200 when i had it (HIDs4U 55w 5000K ) and i must say i loved them,i never got anyone flashing me whilst driving and the colour was excellent, very white with a hint of blue... :D

Yeah I'm happy with the colour, was actually planning to go for 4300K but wanted to get the anti-glare bulbs from HIDs4U who only go down to 5000K. The colour is great though, it's weird as in daylight they look blue but they're almost perfectly white in the dark :)

Yeah I'm happy with the colour, was actually planning to go for 4300K but wanted to get the anti-glare bulbs from HIDs4U who only go down to 5000K. The colour is great though, it's weird as in daylight they look blue but they're almost perfectly white in the dark :)

Yes mate that very true about the colour in daylight and at night.. :D .people who asked me which ones they were thought they were the perfect colour .....always got great comments and no complaints after i had them fitted..... :)

Your IS look great!

I have a exactly the same IS200 as you do! I am thinking to upgrade the light as well! you are really giving me a clear guide line!

Thanks mate, no probs, let me know if you have any questions :)

What the hell :D Got my Hid kit TODAY!!!!!!!!! =O

Wicked sick delivery. 4 days UK - Norway!

It takes longer to recieve items i order in Norway.

17,5 of 10 point to hids4u

Wow that is impressive, I think it took the same time for my kit to arrive!

I received my kit today - that was quick too :) Regarding fitting - I wonder, once you fitted them, was the original bulb cable long enough to connect it directly to the ballast, as the connection is the same or did you use the provided extension?

You are talking about the brown connector? :)

It dosen't fit. it's 1mm to deep to fit directly on the balast. it dosen't click on, but i guess if you trim away 1mm i would fit fine.

I'm gonna refit the kit when i take my front bumper off (again). Fitted the kit only temporary. Gonnna place the ballast under the headlights, but think i still have to use the extension cable.

Where are you planning on fitting them?

Gonnna place the ballast under the headlights, but think i still have to use the extension cable.

That's where I fitted mine on my Mk1 GS. Using one of the bottom headlamp mount bolts to put the ballast bracket onto. All nicely tucked away out of sight in the bumper.

I received my kit today - that was quick too :) Regarding fitting - I wonder, once you fitted them, was the original bulb cable long enough to connect it directly to the ballast, as the connection is the same or did you use the provided extension?

I honestly can't remember the wiring (will have to check) but I didn't have any problems with cable length with where the ballasts are mounted as in my pics.

But what is the extension you mentioned? I don't remember there being an extension cable?

I honestly can't remember the wiring (will have to check) but I didn't have any problems with cable length with where the ballasts are mounted as in my pics.

But what is the extension you mentioned? I don't remember there being an extension cable?

dsc1562.jpg

I assume that theoretically it could be possible to ommit the cables marked with green and red arrows and connect the original car connector, which goes to the halogen bulb directly to the ballast connector marked in blue. Of couse that all is possible, if there is a possibility to put the ballast really close to the headlight and if the original cable is long enough. Well, yes, probably these two cables shouldn't be called like an extension. I simply don't like that this connection is made of two seperate wires., which connect together :)